Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wikipedia Edits

Default Re: Wikipedia Edits

First time I’ve ever seen this on a Wikipedia page lol.

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Default Re: Wikipedia Edits

That ULL thing is not in the law, neither is UL Lafayette.

For 23 years the university specifically asks not to be called ULL.

The protector of vandalism is the vandal.

Tech guy edits this.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolCajun123 View Post
    Damn commies
    Wikipedia=progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Louisiana84 View Post
    Tech guy edits this.
    So is it possible to have a UL guy take it over?

Oh y'all are going to hate me for this one, but I've grown to appreciate Wikipedia so much over the years. So much of the internet and social media today is filled with false and misleading information. Not to mention people falling all over themselves to mislead, provoke outrage, or share poorly formed opinions.

Wikipedia is one of the few social places on the internet that does the opposite. The people involved with that site are committed to making sure that what's on there is true and accurate. And they've put processes in place over the years that allow people to challenge, discuss, refine, and improve the accuracy of what's there. It obviously isn't perfect, but it sure beats most other internet sources. I'd love nothing more than for that ethos to be replicated across the rest of the internet and social media.

In this case there is no bias. There is no LaTech conspiracy. ElKevbo is a college professor in Delaware. This is just a bunch of nerds who got together and decided (right or wrong) that "ULL" was a better choice. If this isn't a nothingburger I don't know what is. Either way "Lafayette" is being used in the University name. So what victory do we win by changing it?

Quote Originally Posted by billbeck451 View Post
    I didnt even know that Wikipedia was a thing anymore. I know that my kids couldnt even use it as a reference or footnote in papers while in highschool since it was so inacurate
    Wikipedia is actually very reliable. A study from back in the day showed it had fewer errors than Encyclopedia Britannica. And while I agree that people shouldn't cite Wikipedia as a source, every article in Wikipedia is highly sourced. For example, UL's wiki page has 70. So it ends up being a really great place for high school and even college students to go to.

8. Default Re: Wikipedia Edits

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Oh y'all are going to hate me for this one, but I've grown to appreciate Wikipedia so much over the years. So much of the internet and social media today is filled with false and misleading information. Not to mention people falling all over themselves to mislead, provoke outrage, or share poorly formed opinions.

Wikipedia is one of the few social places on the internet that does the opposite. The people involved with that site are committed to making sure that what's on there is true and accurate. And they've put processes in place over the years that allow people to challenge, discuss, refine, and improve the accuracy of what's there. It obviously isn't perfect, but it sure beats most other internet sources. I'd love nothing more than for that ethos to be replicated across the rest of the internet and social media.

In this case there is no bias. There is no LaTech conspiracy. ElKevbo is a college professor in Delaware. This is just a bunch of nerds who got together and decided (right or wrong) that "ULL" was a better choice. If this isn't a nothingburger I don't know what is. Either way "Lafayette" is being used in the University name. So what victory do we win by changing it?
    If a few outsiders can "nothingburger" your NAME, and pass themselves off as the authority, can you trust anything they say?

Reminds me of these events where the whole idea is to tout the direction of the entire U.S. electric car industry but they refused to mention Tesla or any of Tesla's industry leading contributions.

Never let them "nothingburger" you.

First time I heard the word “nothingburger” was from Hillary Clinton. ��

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information