Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Since P5's wants separation, why not give it to them?

UL Football Since P5's wants separation, why not give it to them?

With the present situation with NIL, transfer portal and no true NCAA football playoff system, if the G5 universities don't make a change soon, then college football as we know it will cease to exist.

P5 conferences really don't want to include G5 in the subjective playoff system, yet they want to continue to play the G5 universities to pad their win totals, though that doesn't always work to their favor. But even when a G5 university beats a P5 university, it doesn't do anything to help the G5 move up in the rankings, only lower the P5 rankings.

Solution:
    There are five G5 conferences and five P5 conferences. Starting immediately, P5 schools can only schedule P5 schools, no longer can they they include a G5 school or lesser on their schedule. Let them fight amongst themselves and they can make up how they decide their champion at the end of the season.

G5 universities can only play G5 universities. But at the end of the season, have a true playoff system. Take the 5 conference champs with 5 at large bids decided by ranking and have a true G5 champion. Take away all bowl games.

NIL wouldn't hurt the G5's as much, nor the transfer portal. NCAA and the P5's would totally revamp how they consider the G5 universities. P5 universities would come crawling back and change the entire playoff system.

Just my thought and 2 cents.

Default Re: Since P5's wants separation, why not give it to them?

NO

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    NO
    G5 would be at the advantage.

Many G5 sports budgets are balanced by the Guarantee money paid by P5 football programs. Sometime these "money bag" games result in big upsets. I will always want G5 teams to have some chances against the P5.

5. Default Re: Since P5's wants separation, why not give it to them?

I'm thinking having 2 four-seeds in the Super Bowl makes a good case for expanding the college playoffs to 8 or more.

Parity in NFL
    College football not so much

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    NO
    Yes. That’s a no. Three letters give you pretty much all the argument you need - FCS. You acquiesce if you separate. You become as relevant as the FCS, which is to say irrelevant.

A G5 showed this year that they could compete for a championship. Keep moving forward not back.

8. Default Re: Since P5's wants separation, why not give it to them?

NO. STOP.

9. Default Re: Since P5's wants separation, why not give it to them?

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    Parity in NFL
    College football not so much
    The NFL has roughly the same percentage of teams with losing records as does D1 football.

There are 11,050 scholarship spots. There are 2860 starting spots in fbs football. Stop freaking out, the system changed...adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint08 View Post
    With the present situation with NIL, transfer portal and no true NCAA football playoff system, if the G5 universities don't make a change soon, then college football as we know it will cease to exist.

P5 conferences really don't want to include G5 in the subjective playoff system, yet they want to continue to play the G5 universities to pad their win totals, though that doesn't always work to their favor. But even when a G5 university beats a P5 university, it doesn't do anything to help the G5 move up in the rankings, only lower the P5 rankings.

Solution:
    There are five G5 conferences and five P5 conferences. Starting immediately, P5 schools can only schedule P5 schools, no longer can they they include a G5 school or lesser on their schedule. Let them fight amongst themselves and they can make up how they decide their champion at the end of the season.

G5 universities can only play G5 universities. But at the end of the season, have a true playoff system. Take the 5 conference champs with 5 at large bids decided by ranking and have a true G5 champion. Take away all bowl games.

NIL wouldn't hurt the G5's as much, nor the transfer portal. NCAA and the P5's would totally revamp how they consider the G5 universities. P5 universities would come crawling back and change the entire playoff system.

That is exactly the thinking they want. Then the G-5 = The new FCS

We've already like stupid lemmings; fell into the "mid-major" crap that basketball has become.

"Oh, we're ranked #3 in the mid major poll" a few years back and some people lapped that up like a dog returning to its vomit.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint08 View Post

Solution:

1) I prefer student athletes but they should get a standardized amount of scratch. And should sign a 5 year contract in exchange for all of the various compensation.
    2) we could still play p5 teams but at set amounts across all G5 teams(3 mil) per game or 2 mil and return trip game.
    3) 5 balanced # conferences, playing only among ourselves unless really paid. No 1AA games.
    4) let bowls bid on playoff games hosting
    5) one giant contract with television.
    6) call it “real college football!”
    7) 12th game is conf. Championship. Rest of conference is seeded out to give best schools a final chance to make playoffs with their 12th game.
    8) 16 team playoff
    9) 94 scholarships, 110 total players at practice
    10) cameras facing the full side of the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperialCajun View Post
    1) I prefer student athletes but they should get a standardized amount of scratch. And should sign a 5 year contract in exchange for all of the various compensation.
    2) we could still play p5 teams but at set amounts across all G5 teams(3 mil) per game or 2 mil and return trip game.
    3) 5 balanced # conferences, playing only among ourselves unless really paid. No 1AA games.
    4) let bowls bid on playoff games hosting
    5) one giant contract with television.
    6) call it “real college football!”
    7) 12th game is conf. Championship. Rest of conference is seeded out to give best schools a final chance to make playoffs with their 12th game.
    8) 16 team playoff
    9) 94 scholarships, 110 total players at practice
    10) cameras facing the full side of the stadium.

I have been pushing for a 16 team playoff all inclusive of all 10 Div. 1 conferences for 20+ years but don't see it ever happening as long as the P5 schools have the leverage. In my opinion, there has NEVER been a true national champion in Div. 1 football because the teams that have been picked to play in the national championship game has ALWAYS been subjective. If it can be done in every other NCAA sport (basketball, baseball, softball, Div II and III football, tiddly winks...), then it could be done in Div. I. But this will never happen as long as the P5 schools have the NCAA wrapped around their ....

I love #4. I think get rid of all bowl games except for the 15 bowl games that would host the playoffs.

#1 is also a great thought. Standardized payment across the board, P5 to G5. I like #9 also, but will never happen because the P5's love to hoard players, though the transfer portal is making a difference in this.

Great thoughts, some of which I had thought of.

This only works if there is a relegation/promotion system in place. Each P5 is associated with a G5 conference. The ____tiest P5 team is relegated and the best G5 gets promoted. This could solve some budging issues as an AD might reconsider his spending if his TV payouts go way down in relegation.

The Vanderbilts and KUs of the world are not going anywhere. They leverage their baseball and basketball units very well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information