Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RCAF

Default Re: RCAF

RCAF needs Hud type enthusiasm.

Is RCAF a full time position or is it a side gig?

3. Default Re: RCAF

Until the RCAF is fully independant of the alumni association, I don't see it reaching its full potential .

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Until the RCAF is fully independant of the alumni association, I don't see it reaching its full potential .
    That was the biggest concern when RCAF formed. In that respect, we USL’ed it. The Fossil lives. 100% independence doesn’t exist if everything ties back to the university.

Need to get RCAF up and running or once again, our funding raising arms will become like “The Ragin Cajun Club”.

In the time of NIL, independent operations are important in case something goes sideways.

5. Default Re: RCAF

It is. The RCAF has a director that reports to Advancement Department headed by John Blohm. The Alumni Association also has a director that reports to John. both are quasi-independent 501C3 non-profit organizations affiliated with the University. Another organization is the Foundation, which is another 501C3 whose CEO is John Blohm. All three organizations collaborate with each other but are definitely independent of each other. Also, none of these organizations will ever be fully independent of the university Dept of Advancement under the current UL administration.
    Being fully independent is not the key for the RCAF or the Alumni Association to reach its full potential, having the right director leading each organization is.

6. Default Re: RCAF

Quote Originally Posted by WestUCajun View Post
    It is. The RCAF has a director that reports to Advancement Department headed by John Blohm. The Alumni Association also has a director that reports to John. both are quasi-independent 501C3 non-profit organizations affiliated with the University. Another organization is the Foundation, which is another 501C3 whose CEO is John Blohm. All three organizations collaborate with each other but are definitely independent of each other. Also, none of these organizations will ever be fully independent of the university Dept of Advancement under the current UL administration.
    Being fully independent is not the key for the RCAF or the Alumni Association to reach its full potential, having the right director leading each organization is.
    Has John Blohm demanded growth?

RCAF was right at 1,500 members in 2012.

7. Default Re: RCAF

Has John Blohm demanded growth?

RCAF was right at 1,500 members in 2012.
    Not sure because I don't know what metrics the RCAF staff are measured by.

8. Default Re: RCAF

Quote Originally Posted by WestUCajun View Post
    …….THANK YOU….been trying for a very long time to explain this and how we actually save money on employees, computers, and any other overhead costs!

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    In the recent podcast interview with Jay Walker, Dr. Maggard says they are looking at a restructuring of the RCAF organization. In their defense, focus in recent months had to be on the big guys as that is who is needed for the stadium refurbish. Moving forward, I agree we need to grow the bottom of the pyramid.
    Needs a complete overhaul...marketing wise.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Changes are inevitable in any organization. It's my understanding that Hans was offered an opportunity at Middle Tennessee that is more in line with the career path he has envisioned for himself.
    My understanding is Hans will be Director of Fundraising reporting to Lee DeLeon, Deputy Athletic Director. Hans’ career goal is to eventually become an Athletic Director. Maggard stated changes coming with RCAF. Word has it he will use a similar organization structure to that of Middle Tennessee and many other universities. Not sure if Nico Yantko’s title remains the same or not but it appears he will head up the RCAF reporting directly to Maggard. We shall see…

Quote Originally Posted by SMD7636 View Post
    A few years ago, RCAF made the structure more complicated and therefore difficult to donate. I believe the RCAF board should do a poll for additional feedback and growth ideas from its members. Creating an ineffective concierge program for specific level donors does not support the RCAF mission and only further divides our fan base.
    Agree with this 100%. The new structure is an enigma. Much more confusing than it was and needs to be. I used to care about where I rank and knew what I needed to do to increase the rank. I never liked/totally understood the changes and don't care so much anymore about where I rank. There really isn't currently much incentive to care about raw ranking. It used to matter much more... e.g re-seating of Russo Park. From what I understand, it is also currently much easier to manipulate the ranking in a year that it matters (e.g. if there ever was a Cajun Field re-seating)... by just saving up $$ to donate more to the Annual Fund in the important year and jump over everyone who has been donating all along. Doesn't seem so fair.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Not Really, but when you pass up the under $500 a year crowd, you're making it hard on yourself to raise money. The perception of RCAF is that its a big money organization. When in reality, there is some level there for all. RCAF has done a more than ____ poor job in communicating that. That's whats made their job hard....Their own ineptitude.
    I’m not saying $500 donors don’t matter, but if you’re the RCAF director and you’re spending your time chasing $500 donations you aren’t doing your job very well.

I don’t mind if the $500 donors feel a bit neglected if it means the $1,000,000 donors are getting all the attention.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    I’m not saying $500 donors don’t matter, but if you’re the RCAF director and you’re spending your time chasing $500 donations you aren’t doing your job very well.

I don’t mind if the $500 donors feel a bit neglected if it means the $1,000,000 donors are getting all the attention.
    I'm in sales...if I spend all my time going after my larger accounts and neglecting my small and medium accounts, one, I'd go broke...two, my azz would be fired. That's not how all this works...its a messaging and marketing issue. I don't think the RCAF people sit around making calls to people using a phone book.

You are correct in your understanding. The first thing they look at is how much did you give in the current year. The donor is put in a "peer" group and than ranked by points. You can be a charter member giving $2000 a year and a first year donor could take you seats by simply being one tier higher in his first year regardless of total points.

15. Default Re: RCAF

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    As mentioned, the RCAF needs a strategic overhaul. It starts with the alumni in the Lafayette Metro. The individuals that are most likely to engage with UL athletics. What is the communication strategy to engage them? What are we doing to engage recent graduates? What steps are being taken to get current students to attend athletic events so that they are willing to donate down the road? The RCAF is about generating cash flow for UL athletics. Money from donors in the under $1,000 pool spends the same as those donating over $1,000.

This isn't rocket science, but the effort must be measured and continuous. This is where the RCAF has fallen short.
    Perfect post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information