Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MBB Final Louisiana 64, Georgia Southern 65

1. Default Re: Cajuns Basketball

The UL men’s basketball team entered a four-game homestand running in place in the Sun Belt Conference race hoping to ignite a surge in the standings.

After Saturday’s 66-65 loss to Georgia Southern, the Ragin’ Cajuns are now heading in reverse.

Default Re: Cajuns Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by STEVEAUX UL 78 View Post
    The place would be packed with a winning program.
    Check the media guide. The Cajuns have never sold out the dome. Nor have we ever consistently “packed” the dome. Overall, the crowds have gotten smaller thru the years. The past two years are Covid years so PART of the decline is directly related to that. I know multiple season ticket holders that are Covid absent.

Now would the crowd size maybe stabilize, yes. But the vast majority of the fans with basketball in their blood are from the Blackham era and they’re dying off. And nothing was done along the decades of decline to stop this, or at least control what we could.

Change is needed, and it’s not just coaches.

I want to be optimistic but from the football staff turnover to major cogs in RCAF leaving to even the soccer coach bailing and even SLU coming in our parish and hosting a SB tournament at a time we normally do, we got issues.

3. Default Re: Cajuns Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Check the media guide. The Cajuns have never sold out the dome. Nor have we ever consistently “packed” the dome. Overall, the crowds have gotten smaller thru the years. The past two years are Covid years so PART of the decline is directly related to that. I know multiple season ticket holders that are Covid absent.

Now would the crowd size maybe stabilize, yes. But the vast majority of the fans with basketball in their blood are from the Blackham era and they’re dying off. And nothing was done along the decades of decline to stop this, or at least control what we could.

Change is needed, and it’s not just coaches.

I want to be optimistic but from the football staff turnover to major cogs in RCAF leaving to even the soccer coach bailing and even SLU coming in our parish and hosting a SB tournament at a time we normally do, we got issues.
    Everything you say is true, but as you noted the winning program was in the Blackham era.

The CajunDome has never experienced "a winning program."

Winning years? Yes. Winning program? No.

I think "the place would be packed with a winning program."

Quote Originally Posted by ragin50 View Post
    Agreed. If Maggard hasn't done it by now, I don't think it's gonna happen.
    Why not just reassign Marlin and let Brock Morris take over for the rest of the year? They can let Marlin go after March or whenever it is more financially viable to do so. Let's see what Brock can do and shake things up. The current situation is not sustainable. We can open up a coaching search after the season is over.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Why not just reassign Marlin and let Brock Morris take over for the rest of the year? They can let Marlin go after March or whenever it is more financially viable to do so. Let's see what Brock can do and shake things up. The current situation is not sustainable. We can open up a coaching search after the season is over.
    This makes way too much sense. I would like to see if Brock Morris could light a fire in the guys as we do have talent. We just can’t finish our games and win.

Default Re: MBB Final Louisiana 64, Georgia Southern 65

Outscored 9-2 in the last 6 minutes Thursday.

Outscored 10-1 in the last 3 minutes last night.

The turnovers. The missed free throws.

I literally am staring at my screen trying to rap my head around this and I got nothing.

I think we’re stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Maggard isn’t going to fire Marlin at this stage, and Marlon isn’t going to quit and be labeled a quitter.

I guess we should just be resigned to the fact that, barring winning out and a win or two in the NCAA’s, this season is pretty much a throwaway and we will start all over again next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Everything you say is true, but as you noted the winning program was in the Blackham era.

The CajunDome has never experienced "a winning program."

Winning years? Yes. Winning program? No.

I think "the place would be packed with a winning program."
    We've said that for years about Football.need anymore proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#Fired View Post
    Just saw we lost again and came here to read game thread only to see there was none.
    Why does maggard continue to sit on his hands when it comes to Marlin
    Came here to post a few times last night during the game but saw there was no thread and didn't feel like starting it myself. What another horrible way to cough up a game against one of the cellar dwellers of the league.at HOME.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    Outscored 9-2 in the last 6 minutes Thursday.

Outscored 10-1 in the last 3 minutes last night.

The turnovers. The missed free throws.

I literally am staring at my screen trying to rap my head around this and I got nothing.

I think we’re stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Maggard isn’t going to fire Marlin at this stage, and Marlon isn’t going to quit and be labeled a quitter.

I guess we should just be resigned to the fact that, barring winning out and a win or two in the NCAA’s, this season is pretty much a throwaway and we will start all over again next year.
    Marlin will retire regardless of what happens this year. I think Maggard will ask him to ride off into the sunset

Not sure what is up with Brown but he's clearly not 100%. I don't think he started and he really looked uncomfortable in the post and they banged on him all night. No Awkuba down the stretch was interesting especially since Dou was in turnover mode again last night.

Michael Thomas actually had his best game as a cajun. I know he screwed up the end but he was a major producer for us throughout the entire time when he was in the game. People have figured out now that since our guard play is fairly weak when it comes to ball control and running an offense they are starting to extend pressure on us and really play our guys tight to force turnovers and it works. I fear you're going to see this more and more as the year plays out. I still don't know how our offense is so bad as we have guys who can score.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Marlin will retire regardless of what happens this year. I think Maggard will ask him to ride off into the sunset
    I'm sorry but I don't buy that either. I want it to happen badly but don't have faith that it will be that easy.

And for as much as the game has changed and we have all these metrics about shooting more outside shots and all the ideas that philosophy says wins games, its interesting to look at the stats thus far for the league. We are the 3rd best 3 pt shooting team in the league, one of the best rebounding teams in the league as well as a decent defensive team statistically. However, as you can imagine, what is killing us is we are one of the worst in TO margin and last in assist/turnover ratio which tells you how bad our guard play has been outside of some outside shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    And for as much as the game has changed and we have all these metrics about shooting more outside shots and all the ideas that philosophy says wins games, its interesting to look at the stats thus far for the league. We are the 3rd best 3 pt shooting team in the league, one of the best rebounding teams in the league as well as a decent defensive team statistically. However, as you can imagine, what is killing us is we are one of the worst in TO margin and last in assist/turnover ratio which tells you how bad our guard play has been outside of some outside shooting.
    You didn't mention foul shooting, which did us in once again last night. That is inexcusable, whatever the reason.

At least we can look forward to baseball and softball season soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ragin50 View Post
    You didn't mention foul shooting, which did us in once again last night. That is inexcusable, whatever the reason.
    You're right and I meant to as we are the second worst FT shooting team in the conference. Actually, the whole point of my post and I missed part of it was that the things you normally associate with success we are doing Ok in but FT shooting and turnovers (guard play in particular) are doing us in.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information