Thread: Commish of the SPHL says Lake Charles might be in the mix next year?

Default Commish of the SPHL says Lake Charles might be in the mix next year?

Not sure if I like that. However I don't think many Lake Charles folks are making it to Lafayette for IceGator games. Perhaps this would be a good thing?

Default Re: Commish of the SPHL says Lake Charles might be in the mix next year?

Did they not look at what happened the first go around ? Team were every 60 miles from each other ..Baton Rouge , Lafayette , Lake Charles ,Beaumont

igeaux.mobi

Default Re: Commish of the SPHL says Lake Charles might be in the mix next year?

Quote Originally Posted by chicken View Post
    Did they not look at what happened the first go around ? Team were every 60 miles from each other ..Baton Rouge , Lafayette , Lake Charles ,Beaumont

igeaux.mobi
    I don't know. Before this season I would have been against it but it is obvious we didn't draw many folks from LC, BR or Alex. The WPHL and ECHL made a boat load of money for a while with the rivalries. Till the novelty wore off.

4. Default Re: Commish of the SPHL says Lake Charles might be in the mix next year?

Not sure where they would play as the Civic Center is not longer set up for ice. Any info on who is interested in owning a team there.

Lake Charles, Baton Rouge, Shreveport, and New Orleans would all be good news for the IceGators. There are a few fans that travel from these cities, but the financial impact of less travel and rivalry attendance would be much greater. Example. Over 50 fans traveled to Biloxi Friday and Saturday night. That is a much greater benefit to the Surge than anyone who lives in Lafayette who might be a season ticket holder if the IceGators did not exist. Day trips are very valuable to a team. As it stands, we only have two day trips (Biloxi and Pensacola). If we gain two more teams within "Day trip range", that would make up half of our road schedule and would decrease the travel budget significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by dannysmith View Post
    Lake Charles, Baton Rouge, Shreveport, and New Orleans would all be good news for the IceGators. There are a few fans that travel from these cities, but the financial impact of less travel and rivalry attendance would be much greater. Example. Over 50 fans traveled to Biloxi Friday and Saturday night. That is a much greater benefit to the Surge than anyone who lives in Lafayette who might be a season ticket holder if the IceGators did not exist. Day trips are very valuable to a team. As it stands, we only have two day trips (Biloxi and Pensacola). If we gain two more teams within "Day trip range", that would make up half of our road schedule and would decrease the travel budget significantly.
    Are you talking about the Mudbugs up in Shreveport joining the SPHL? I would imagine places to play would all be issues for most of the cities you mentioned. I doubt if Municipal Auditorium or the Arena would be setup for ice anymore in NOLA. I would imagine similar stories in LC and BR. Thanks for letting us know and please keep us posted!

7. Default Re: Commish of the SPHL says Lake Charles might be in the mix next year?

Yay.. Bring a team back to LC.. I would love that!

Quote Originally Posted by mportus View Post
    Yay.. Bring a team back to LC.. I would love that!
    Well that is one from the LC area. Not really enough to get excited about. With our low attendance I would find it safe to say the Gator don't draw well from LC, BR or NOLA.

Thread Information