Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: MBB Final: Louisiana 69, Troy 59

Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 69, Troy 59

Quote Originally Posted by CockyCajun View Post
    Are today's players in good enough shape to run this offense?

Obviously Hank Gathers influences my question
    Gathers’ cause of death was a heart muscle disorder cardiomyopathy. Are you suggesting had he been in better shape his death could have been prevented?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I’d really like it if our next coach was a disciple of this offense.

https://www.breakthroughbasketball.c...k-offense.html

Something to excite the fans and players alike.
    5 on 4 basketball. Sounds awesome.......

3. Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 69, Troy 59

I’m just trying to find something that excites fans and players. We’re going against so many headwinds. Outrageous fees for tickets, concessions off the charts, and a rare trip to NCAA, and NIT.

I’m just trying to find something that excites fans and players. We’re going against so many headwinds. Outrageous fees for tickets, concessions off the charts, and a rare trip to NCAA, and NIT.
    I don’t often complain about concession prices, mostly because I rarely get anything other than beer. And if they are over-priced I just chuck it into more donations to the programs category.

But I bought a bag of popcorn last Saturday night that cost $7. Jeesh….you can get a 6-pack of the most expensive microwave popcorn for that same amount. Also, they used give a free bag with every large beer you bought, but when I asked about that this year she just said they don’t do it anymore. Guess that happens when attendance is so low.

Sorry, just had to vent.

Gimmicks are not going to resurrect our program. It has to be done at a foundational level. First, we need the ultimate commitment from the university administration. I know, Jay and others will say that Maggard is fully committed to the program but we need to establish some baseline standards of what we feel are required to move this program forward. If those standards are not met, we need to find people and approaches that help us meet those standards.

If you are trying to excite fans, wins excite fans. Remember back in the day when we had that long win streak and J.J. Thomas was the hit of the town? We were packing people into the dome and it was awesome. Getting some teams into the dome who people have actually heard of would be a start although I know our home court is so intimidating that nobody wants to come here to play us but we need to find a way to strengthen our OOC and get a decent home matchup or two at home.

Win Conference. Build a program focused on conference championships. Better teams win over a longer period of time and to win conference, you have to play well and win more consistently. This consistency only helps when you hit the conference tournament. It puts you in a better position to win those 3 games in March to get to the NCAA.

UL Basketball Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 69, Troy 59

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    Southern Miss is not good. And they aren’t getting better. They will likely have a new coach soon.
    They are not gonna get rid of LADNER any time soon. He is former player and alumni of USM. He will be there the next 5 years at least!!! The re building and they will give him time…

7. Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 69, Troy 59

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Gimmicks are not going to resurrect our program. It has to be done at a foundational level. First, we need the ultimate commitment from the university administration. I know, Jay and others will say that Maggard is fully committed to the program but we need to establish some baseline standards of what we feel are required to move this program forward. If those standards are not met, we need to find people and approaches that help us meet those standards.

If you are trying to excite fans, wins excite fans. Remember back in the day when we had that long win streak and J.J. Thomas was the hit of the town? We were packing people into the dome and it was awesome. Getting some teams into the dome who people have actually heard of would be a start although I know our home court is so intimidating that nobody wants to come here to play us but we need to find a way to strengthen our OOC and get a decent home matchup or two at home.

Win Conference. Build a program focused on conference championships. Better teams win over a longer period of time and to win conference, you have to play well and win more consistently. This consistency only helps when you hit the conference tournament. It puts you in a better position to win those 3 games in March to get to the NCAA.
    That’s not a gimmick offense. It’s good to win far more games in an exciting fashion. I know it’s not going to beat the Duke’s of college basketball but it’s been very good against teams we consider our peers.

We’re not beating the Duke’s of college basketball no matter how we try to copy them. That’s what Bob is running, only not well, and of course less talent by far.

8. Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 69, Troy 59

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    I don’t often complain about concession prices, mostly because I rarely get anything other than beer. And if they are over-priced I just chuck it into more donations to the programs category.

But I bought a bag of popcorn last Saturday night that cost $7. Jeesh….you can get a 6-pack of the most expensive microwave popcorn for that same amount. Also, they used give a free bag with every large beer you bought, but when I asked about that this year she just said they don’t do it anymore. Guess that happens when attendance is so low.

Sorry, just had to vent.
    I’m able to pay for the excessive costs for concessions, or skip’um.

Many people who get to games do so to bond with their children. Children always expect concessions and bling. These excessive prices are killing current and future fan support.

9. Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 69, Troy 59

I’d really like it if our next coach was a disciple of this offense.

https://www.breakthroughbasketball.c...k-offense.html

Something to excite the fans and players alike.
    Is there any school currently running something close to this exciting?

I’m able to pay for the excessive costs for concessions, or skip’um.

Many people who get to games do so to bond with their children. Children always expect concessions and bling. These excessive prices are killing current and future fan support.
    Why does bonding with your children have to involve eating and buying stuff because they expect it? Eat and drink before you come to the game, and bond with them while enjoying the game together.

11. Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 69, Troy 59

Quote Originally Posted by ragin50 View Post
    Why does bonding with your children have to involve eating and buying stuff because they expect it? Eat and drink before you come to the game, and bond with them while enjoying the game together.
    It doesn’t have to. You can give them the Trojan upbringing. I just believe it’s a great experience for kids. If you don’t want to be a customer then don’t. I know my middle aged children often reminisce about some of the Super Dome experiences, more so than the games.

I frankly don’t understand your apparent view that the fans are fair targeting of outrageous pricing. So many simply say not me. Movie theaters are experiencing the same abandonment of customers tired of predatory prices.

It doesn’t have to. You can give them the Trojan upbringing. I just believe it’s a great experience for kids. If you don’t want to be a customer then don’t. I know my middle aged children often reminisce about some of the Super Dome experiences, more so than the games.

I frankly don’t understand your apparent view that the fans are fair targeting of outrageous pricing. So many simply say not me. Movie theaters are experiencing the same abandonment of customers tired of predatory prices.
    I do agree that the concession prices are outrageous and ridiculous, the fans deserve better. Since I can't control that, I choose not to participate and purchase them. I can go 2 hours or so without eating or drinking.

13. Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 69, Troy 59

Ultimately fans actually control everything. Fewer fans result in less revenue. Less success in court. Yeah everyone can suck it up for a few hours. What a way to attract repeat and new customers, soak um.

Southern Miss is outdrawing us my man. They’re getting better in basketball. Next year will be his 3rd year. If he’s not improving he’s outta there. They’re not kidding around like we do.
    I was talking about on the court results, not support. I watched the game against them online. We stymied them defensively the whole game and blew them out the second half. I think they have a long way to go before they challenge for the top in the SBC. Granted, they have won some games recently.

That’s not a gimmick offense. It’s good to win far more games in an exciting fashion. I know it’s not going to beat the Duke’s of college basketball but it’s been very good against teams we consider our peers.

We’re not beating the Duke’s of college basketball no matter how we try to copy them. That’s what Bob is running, only not well, and of course less talent by far.
    First of all, I wasn't necessarily talking about the offense since you noted other things as obstacles. However, the offense is somewhat gimmicky since you are literally playing 4 men on defense with someone not playing defense to slip out for easy baskets in transition. Can you please tell me who is running that offense right now against our peers? That might score you more points although in today's game which is more open and faster than the time of LMU and this offense, defense will need to be played effectively to beat better teams. Why do you think LMU did not fare better on a national level in regards to the tournament? They had two all americans to boot.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information