Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Winners and Losers of the College Football Transfer Portal so Far

Default Re: Winners and Losers of the College Football Transfer Portal so Far

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    I think we'll be dogs at Coastal and GA State
    Same

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    I think we'll be dogs at Coastal and GA State
    If the Belt adds all the new members for the 2022 season, I believe one of these games will have to get replaced with Southern Miss. I would imagine we would be favored against them.

What makes anybody think that some of the players that left would not have left if Napier would still be here. Everybody says it's all about the money. If the money is there it would have been there with or without Napier or Desormeaux or whom ever would have been the coach. Hell Alabama lost some players (5 or 6 I think) Georgia lost some too from what I understand. It's not just us.

Also, does anybody know what kind of deal these players signed and for how much money. The only thing I see is they left via the portal with no mention of any NIL money. I dunno maybe I missed it

The only thing I can see is this is one big cluster and it's not going to get better any time soon if ever.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    What makes anybody think that some of the players that left would not have left if Napier would still be here. Everybody says it's all about the money. If the money is there it would have been there with or without Napier or Desormeaux or whom ever would have been the coach. Hell Alabama lost some players (5 or 6 I think) Georgia lost some too from what I understand. It's not just us.

Also, does anybody know what kind of deal these players signed and for how much money. The only thing I see is they left via the portal with no mention of any NIL money. I dunno maybe I missed it

The only thing I can see is this is one big cluster and it's not going to get better any time soon if ever.
    First off, I don't think they can have a deal in place prior to entering the portal. That would indicate a level of ____ery that would have to be an issue in the eyes of the NCAA. I'm sure they survey potential offers once entered in the portal.

In regards to the programs you mentioned, I don't think they are good examples but you are right, players are entering from everywhere. Georgia and Alabama are losing players that are looking for more playing time. They are buried in a roster full of talented players and want to be able to play. We are losing players from a winning program who play major roles where playing time is not an issue. Some likely would have left anyhow such as McCaskill as he may want to be close to home or some may just want to hang it up but the reasons our players left and the ones at Alabama and Georgia are not the same.

I dont think the two that left for Florida would have done so, do you? Torrence would have been just fine elevating his draft status here at UL just as Dotson, Hunt and Mitchell have done. Johnson followed Juluke because that is the coach that talked him into not signing with other P5 programs after de committing from Arizona. I've known Juluke since he coached at Edna Karr, I've known how he operates for years.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    First off, I don't think they can have a deal in place prior to entering the portal. That would indicate a level of ____ery that would have to be an issue in the eyes of the NCAA. I'm sure they survey potential offers once entered in the portal.

In regards to the programs you mentioned, I don't think they are good examples but you are right, players are entering from everywhere. Georgia and Alabama are losing players that are looking for more playing time. They are buried in a roster full of talented players and want to be able to play. We are losing players from a winning program who play major roles where playing time is not an issue. Some likely would have left anyhow such as McCaskill as he may want to be close to home or some may just want to hang it up but the reasons our players left and the ones at Alabama and Georgia are not the same.
    They can't have a deal done before entering the portal legally. But they have NIL deals already set up for incoming athletes just like Texas, LSU and others. It's a well known fact Baton Rouge Attorney Gordon Mckernan is a major LSU benefactor. Do you think it's a coincidence that Lacey's NIL was announced within a few days?

This is getting accomplished through middle men, it it's very hard to prove without phone records and transactions to trace.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post

Correct. no deals prior to portal. From what I understand, most of the guys that left us are signed, sealed and delivered. If they are then what is their money deal? I dunno.

I was using Alabama as an example because even they lose players. I thing Georgsa lost some too. Guess what Florida lost some (7 or 8 if I remember correctly). My point is, everybody is losing players even the big guys with lots of money. The question is, what's going to be the result after the "Musical Chairs" game is over. It used to be coaching Musical Chairs now it's coaches and players in the game and it's all new with few rules. It's going to be the wild west.

I personally have resigned myself to the fact that schools like ours are going to get screwed even more than what we were being screwed before. We are entering uncharted territory where unintended consequences and (for the conspiracy theorist) intended unintended consequences are going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I dont think the two that left for Florida would have done so, do you? Torrence would have been just fine elevating his draft status here at UL just as Dotson, Hunt and Mitchell have done. Johnson followed Juluke because that is the coach that talked him into not signing with other P5 programs after de committing from Arizona. I've known Juluke since he coached at Edna Karr, I've known how he operates for years.
    The Florida guys left I understand that. No telling what they would have done if Napier would have stayed. All kinds of things could have happened" Juluke could have left to go somewhere. Who Knows. My point being every school is going to have players leave REGARDLESS of who the coach is. Are they leaving because the coach is leaving or are they leaving for the money? If they are leaving for the money then when they are signed at a new school my question is "what's your deal?"

9. Default Re: Winners and Losers of the College Football Transfer Portal so Far

We’ll beat Sand Chickens. We were one offensive penalty away from beating them in Covid year. Ga State is much better but they’re still messing up critical moments.

The Florida guys left I understand that. No telling what they would have done if Napier would have stayed. All kinds of things could have happened" Juluke could have left to go somewhere. Who Knows. My point being every school is going to have players leave REGARDLESS of who the coach is. Are they leaving because the coach is leaving or are they leaving for the money? If they are leaving for the money then when they are signed at a new school my question is "what's your deal?"
    I don't disagree with your premise, I'm simply suggesting to you there are incidents of athletes transferring now that are more than questionable at best.

Isn’t the total number allowed on roster the same? So if you get too many from the portal won’t you be limited in how many HS folks you can sign? Then if more than 25 exhaust eligibility, you can still only bring in 25 new HS, so overall you would be short handed in the future?

SEC and those tough academic credentials, spelled something(s) wrong on his bio page, lol…
    …but know more about wetlands research and swamps than us
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What would have been interesting if Sale would have got this job. Would Billy gut him as hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    What would have been interesting if Sale would have got this job. Would Billy gut him as hard.
    I don't have any doubt that he would have.

I don't disagree with your premise, I'm simply suggesting to you there are incidents of athletes transferring now that are more than questionable at best.
    Exactly. Supposedly the players are transferring for NIL deals. But when they transfer there is no deal announcemed. I am trying to follow the money but can't find a place to start.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information