Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is it wrong for Billy Napier to take kids away from Louisiana?

Default Re: Is it wrong for Billy Napier to take kids away from Louisiana?

I wish Napier would pull Marlin through the portal.

2. Default Re: Is it wrong for Billy Napier to take kids away from Louisiana?

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    I wish Napier would pull Marlin through the portal.
    I believe Florida was so happy with Zombie LoTech White they jumped on BN.

I like that they are acknowledging the situation. I don't necessarily agree that you can't follow a coach to a new team. It's your decision and if you love playing for that coach, great. Jump in the poral and see if they reach out at their new team. Do not recruit players that are under scholarship.

I think that the immediate eligibility clause needs to change back to curtail some of this craziness.

Say what you want about the business of it all. I don't care. We're allowed to be angry that 20 of our staff members got plucked from us and that Billy is actively recruiting players that were on our roster. Sure we don't have evidence, but that's what's happening. You can't tell me that any of these guys that left us didn't have some idea of what was out there and where they'd end up. It's naive to think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    That's not relevant to what he's doing to UL. He was paid by UL and donations, i.e. fans, to recruit these players for UL, not fla.

Right, NCAA created this, but Billy had a choice in how he deals with it.

I don't have to get over ____.
    It's big boy football now. Either get on or get out the way. Mid majors will be a farm system. It sucks but it's done and it ain't ever going back to what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    Napier was paid by our university and supporters to put a winning product on the field - not to make sure the alumni association has eligible football members joining that organization after 4 years.
    But the point is that UL hired him and gave him a chance. While being paid by UL he developed relationships and gathered inside information about players. He did that on our dime. Although legal, I believe it is immoral to use this information against your former benefactor. This is not the cULture that CBN preached for 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bankruptcyman View Post
    But the point is that UL hired him and gave him a chance. While being paid by UL he developed relationships and gathered inside information about players. He did that on our dime. Although legal, I believe it is immoral to use this information against your former benefactor. This is not the cULture that CBN preached for 4 years.
    Right on, right on.

On one hand, I agree with you. on the other hand (and, there's always at least one more hand), when a professional athlete signs with a competitor club, I imagine it is standard to ask him/her for information that was gathered on the former club's dime. I'm sure the same thing happens within coaching.

I have little doubt that, in business, confidential information is passed on by a new employee about the former employer.

I don't know how you segregate what an employee has learned at the first job from information necessary to do the second job.

I don't like what Napier is/has done, just don't think it is all that unusual just more of it than usual.

14 minute mark the fun starts if you're searching. Dude is right, wait 5 years, the big boys will start canabilizing themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    14 minute mark the fun starts if you're searching. Dude is right, wait 5 years, the big boys will start canabilizing themselves.
    Always a bigger fish in the pond

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post
    It's big boy football now. Either get on or get out the way. Mid majors will be a farm system. It sucks but it's done and it ain't ever going back to what it was.
    ALL of it is a farm system now. This will have an effect on D1 P5 down to JUCO and HS football.

Geaux Cajuns

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post
    I think there will be change, driven in part by the "big boy" coaches. Saban and Smart are already on record stating that changes need to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by 60swerethebest View Post
    It is what it is. Done openly now. And Florida will fuss when Coach Nap moves on to Alabama. The portal taketh and giveth. And with NIL $$, G5s will be on the giving end.
    And the state of Alabama is currently trying to reverse a law to loosen the restrictions on NIL. Lol.

This!

Serious question: Had Napier stayed here, how many players do y’all think we would we have lost to the portal?

With our lack of NIL money to compete with bigger programs, surely we couldn’t have kept them all locked down. How much influence would Napier have had to convince them to stay here and not chase the NIL money?

GEAUX CAJUNS

It’s my understanding that there will be work, or at least hours, involved in these NIL deals. QB1 can’t get $50,000 to do a local car commercial if the going rate it $5,000. He would have to do 10 commercials to get $50,000.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information