Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ty Harper

Default Re: Ty Harper

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Instead of whining about SBC refs our mediocre coach could have acknowledged his continued failure to put a well disciplined team on the court. This should never be about lousy zebras. That’s for fans not coaches. Regardless it’s not the last play of the game. How many times have I heard good coaches wave off zebras excuse.

Marlin has never accepted the blame for the loses except in a general sort of way about games. He might say players get credit for the wins and coaches for the loses.
    Mike Murphy pretty much did what you suggest this morning in an interview with Kevin Foote. Emphasized that one play did not cost them the game. It is still disappointing that such an obvious error as taking a basket away could not be corrected. That is me talking, not the coaches at this time.

2. Default Re: Ty Harper

SBC zebras always have to be baked into the cake. I’m saying you need to be better than them by maybe six points per game.

I’m not fine with that clown decision about not being able to correct the call. There’s gotta be some personal skin in the game for clown calls. That decision isn’t forgivable. That’s a malpractice decision.

3. Default Re: Ty Harper

I completely agree. I think he has immense potential, but if those rumors are true, he definitely needs to take a look in the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    Well, if the rumors are true about his pre-season workout issues and other assorted ones, I would have to support the coaching staff. If somebody doesn't want to follow the rules, the rules everyone else follows, he needs to shape up or ship out. Personally, I hope he shapes up!
    Yes and we don't know the extent to how true those rumors are or if at all but what do you do? Punish him the whole season when he can help you win? If you're willing to do that, then just have him leave.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Yes and we don't know the extent to how true those rumors are or if at all but what do you do? Punish him the whole season when he can help you win? If you're willing to do that, then just have him leave.
    I totally agree with you. If that is what happened, and it is just a rumor to me, then I as a coach cannot play him until he meets some agreed upon penance (a couple of Hail Mary's, shuttle runs, etc) instead of just letting him sit. That is a cancer just waiting to grow and he will leave.

The other option is that his talent is not being recognized by hmic which is maybe a bigger problem.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    I totally agree with you. If that is what happened, and it is just a rumor to me, then I as a coach cannot play him until he meets some agreed upon penance (a couple of Hail Mary's, shuttle runs, etc) instead of just letting him sit. That is a cancer just waiting to grow and he will leave.

The other option is that his talent is not being recognized by hmic which is maybe a bigger problem.

I have no idea how much Ty Harper will play in future games. I still think Covid is the reason he did not play last Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I have no idea how much Ty Harper will play in future games. I still think Covid is the reason he did not play last Saturday.
    So Mike, what's your opinion about why he hasn't played more mins? It can be the other guards are playing too well to sit the bench, right?

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    So Mike, what's your opinion about why he hasn't played more mins? It can be the other guards are playing too well to sit the bench, right?
    I have a hard time answering that question. My only guess is that his practice performance has not been as good as the coaches believe he is capable of. I personally would use him on defense more at key stages of the game.

9. Default Re: Ty Harper

I know the topic is about Ty Harper’s playing time but it’s not about one player. It’s about the culture around the basketball team. Names have changed but results remain the same.

I said it in 2017 and I’ll say it again now.. If he couldn’t win big with that 2017 roster, even WITH the few injuries, he can’t win. Period.

There is plenty of talent on this roster. We have consistently seen players be utilized in ways that do not maximize their skills. Harper is no different. And before you say “well he faked an injury,” it’s funny how it’s ALWAYS the player’s issue around here. This staff recruited and signed Ty Harper and all the other players that seemingly have an issue. That’s not on the player; that’s on the staff.

Just amazes me how many people refuse to see it… In year TWELVE

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I know the topic is about Ty Harper’s playing time but it’s not about one player. It’s about the culture around the basketball team. Names have changed but results remain the same.

I said it in 2017 and I’ll say it again now.. If he couldn’t win big with that 2017 roster, even WITH the few injuries, he can’t win. Period.

There is plenty of talent on this roster. We have consistently seen players be utilized in ways that do not maximize their skills. Harper is no different. And before you say “well he faked an injury,” it’s funny how it’s ALWAYS the player’s issue around here. This staff recruited and signed Ty Harper and all the other players that seemingly have an issue. That’s not on the player; that’s on the staff.

Personally, I don't believe he faked an injury. He missed time earlier due to having TWO hamstring injuries. I have no idea why he is not playing more now when he is healthy. There are too many guys who play the same position and no one has separated themselves in order to come up with a consistent rotation. Guard play is our biggest problem and I will agree the performance of some has been disappointing. I know it is the staff's job to figure out how to put the best lineup on the floor consistently. Also, our regular season championship team was in 2017-2018.

11. Default Re: Ty Harper

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Personally, I don't believe he faked an injury. He missed time earlier due to having TWO hamstring injuries. I have no idea why he is not playing more now when he is healthy. There are too many guys who play the same position and no one has separated themselves in order to come up with a consistent rotation. Guard play is our biggest problem and I will agree the performance of some has been disappointing. I know it is the staff's job to figure out how to put the best lineup on the floor consistently. Also, our regular season championship team was in 2017-2018.
    The accuracy of the year isn’t important. The readers aren’t confused, his failure to deliver is the point.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post

There should not be a twelve year stay for any coach not consistently contending for regular season titles, conference titles, occasional NCAA tournament births etc.. That is what gets me and the money people who are supposedly happy with that. In the coaching ranks, you are either building something or you're being replaced. 12 years is just incredible for a coach in a conference where the average tenure for HC is 2.8 years. It's understandable if you have a handful of championships and some tournament appearances, not where your average finish position is 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    How about we start talking about how bad Gregg Williams is. He has been a huge bust. Was supposed to be the guy after the transfers of Wilson and Russell, but he just isn't very good. Marlin was expecting and putting alot on his shoulders and its completely backfiring on him. Need to start giving Harper more of these minutes that we are giving Williams, Wesley, and Au andsee what we have in him. He can't be any worse than what we have out there right now.
    His biggest strength was supposed to be 3PT shooting, as he shot 45% last year at SJU. He’s currently at 31% this year, including 3-20 over the last 8 games…

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    There should not be a twelve year stay for any coach not consistently contending for regular season titles, conference titles, occasional NCAA tournament births etc.. That is what gets me and the money people who are supposedly happy with that. In the coaching ranks, you are either building something or you're being replaced. 12 years is just incredible for a coach in a conference where the average tenure for HC is 2.8 years. It's understandable if you have a handful of championships and some tournament appearances, not where your average finish position is 4th.
    All the broadcasts now mention how he is the winningest HC in Sunbelt history. That’s because any coach who’s worth a ____ doesn’t spend 12 YEARS in this conference

Ty's quickness against SOAL guards would seem to be a decent strategy. Their guards are killing us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information