Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ty Harper

Default Re: Ty Harper

Below in red is a breakdown of minutes from the UTA game that I posted in that thread.

With regards to Harper getting playing time if you look at the minutes last night it was pretty clear what they were doing with the rotation. The 2 forward spots was a 3 man rotation of Brown, Gueye and Charles, they played 75 of a possible 80 minutes. The 3 was basically all Kobe and Cadwell played a little bit too for a combined 37 of 40 minutes. The PG spot was all Wesley and Au as they combined for 40 minutes. That left Williams, Garnett, Harper, and Dalcourt to fight for time at 2 guard. Williams was clearly not setting the world on fire, they knew Garnett is pretty much only a threat with the outside shot, and Harper and Dalcourt never got the time to get in any kind of rhythm. Having that log jam at one spot isn't helping any of those guys, one reason I was suggesting try to get Williams some time at the 3 while either Kobe is taking a breather or let Kobe play some at the 4.

Saturday against Texas St. Williams had to run the point for awhile as Wesley was in foul trouble and Au just couldn't play a large amount of minutes. That was the 1st time Au had played 2 games in 3 days all year and he looked even slower than normal and really appeared to be a liability on both ends of the floor.

I will let someone who knows more than me comment on what happened with Harper officially in the 2nd half but to me it appeared similar to Charles at Coastal. Charles was still in protocol the next Thursday for the Ark St game so I don't know if we will see Harper this Thursday either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Below in red is a breakdown of minutes from the UTA game that I posted in that thread.

With regards to Harper getting playing time if you look at the minutes last night it was pretty clear what they were doing with the rotation. The 2 forward spots was a 3 man rotation of Brown, Gueye and Charles, they played 75 of a possible 80 minutes. The 3 was basically all Kobe and Cadwell played a little bit too for a combined 37 of 40 minutes. The PG spot was all Wesley and Au as they combined for 40 minutes. That left Williams, Garnett, Harper, and Dalcourt to fight for time at 2 guard. Williams was clearly not setting the world on fire, they knew Garnett is pretty much only a threat with the outside shot, and Harper and Dalcourt never got the time to get in any kind of rhythm. Having that log jam at one spot isn't helping any of those guys, one reason I was suggesting try to get Williams some time at the 3 while either Kobe is taking a breather or let Kobe play some at the 4.

Saturday against Texas St. Williams had to run the point for awhile as Wesley was in foul trouble and Au just couldn't play a large amount of minutes. That was the 1st time Au had played 2 games in 3 days all year and he looked even slower than normal and really appeared to be a liability on both ends of the floor.

I will let someone who knows more than me comment on what happened with Harper officially in the 2nd half but to me it appeared similar to Charles at Coastal. Charles was still in protocol the next Thursday for the Ark St game so I don't know if we will see Harper this Thursday either.
    How about we start talking about how bad Gregg Williams is. He has been a huge bust. Was supposed to be the guy after the transfers of Wilson and Russell, but he just isn't very good. Marlin was expecting and putting alot on his shoulders and its completely backfiring on him. Need to start giving Harper more of these minutes that we are giving Williams, Wesley, and Au andsee what we have in him. He can't be any worse than what we have out there right now.

UL Basketball Re: Ty Harper

A source of a source, hinted to the fact that Harper had faked an injury early in year before season , to maybe get out of running or workouts. I don’t think the staff took that too well, and it shows with his lack of playing time. Some people said it was because he could not dribble with his right hand, but if that’s the case wouldn’t we have known that before we signed him!!! All rumors hold a little weight… #GeauxCajuns

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post

I would agree Au looked slower but the speed of their guards also played into making him look even worse. This is why I thought Harper should have played as he's one of our quickest and longest guards.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I would agree Au looked slower but the speed of their guards also played into making him look even worse. This is why I thought Harper should have played as he's one of our quickest and longest guards.
    Au cant even dribble the ball up the court without having his back turned to the defender when there is any pressure on him.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    Au cant even dribble the ball up the court without having his back turned to the defender when there is any pressure on him.
    That's what I'm saying. Those quick guards ate his lunch all game. He was ineffective to say the least. He did hit one 3 pointer that I remember but it was a heave. Not sure he did much outside of that.

I still wonder if Harper had Covid on Saturday. I have not heard it confirmed one way or the other. If I had to guess, I would say he did due to sitting away from the team with a mask. He also played on Thursday night. When AU was having trouble, in a normal game Mike Thomas would have backed up Trajan Wesley. Like Awkuba, he was out with Covid on the Texas road trip. Either way, disappointing to hear the officials ruled they could not correct a scorer's table mistake when a Cajuns basket was taken away due to an off ball foul occurring at the same time. Conference office has since come out with a clarification that they should have over ruled the scorer's table and counted the basket. Don't know if it would have changed the outcome but it would have likely been a factor in how the game was played at crunch time. Regardless, if they keep turning the ball over nearly 20 times per game they will continue to be inconsistent.

8. Default Re: Ty Harper

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I still wonder if Harper had Covid on Saturday. I have not heard it confirmed one way or the other. If I had to guess, I would say he did due to sitting away from the team with a mask. He also played on Thursday night. When AU was having trouble, in a normal game Mike Thomas would have backed up Trajan Wesley. Like Awkuba, he was out with Covid on the Texas road trip. Either way, disappointing to hear the officials ruled they could not correct a scorer's table mistake when a Cajuns basket was taken away due to an off ball foul occurring at the same time. Conference office has since come out with a clarification that they should have over ruled the scorer's table and counted the basket. Don't know if it would have changed the outcome but it would have likely been a factor in how the game was played at crunch time. Regardless, if they keep turning the ball over nearly 20 times per game they will continue to be inconsistent.
    Instead of whining about SBC refs our mediocre coach could have acknowledged his continued failure to put a well disciplined team on the court. This should never be about lousy zebras. That’s for fans not coaches. Regardless it’s not the last play of the game. How many times have I heard good coaches wave off zebras excuse.

Marlin has never accepted the blame for the loses except in a general sort of way about games. He might say players get credit for the wins and coaches for the loses.

When he's been healthy, he hasn't played any significant mins. We'll probably lose him.

If they keep turning it over 20 times a game, I’d say that’s pretty consistent

And 20 TOs a game = losing games.

12. Default Re: Ty Harper

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    If they keep turning it over 20 times a game, I’d say that’s pretty consistent
    Consistently bad.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    When he's been healthy, he hasn't played any significant mins. We'll probably lose him.
    They almost lost him over the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Yes and I fear you are correct on losing him part.

Yes and I fear you are correct on losing him part.
    Well, if the rumors are true about his pre-season workout issues and other assorted ones, I would have to support the coaching staff. If somebody doesn't want to follow the rules, the rules everyone else follows, he needs to shape up or ship out. Personally, I hope he shapes up!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information