Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Hula Bowl: LL1

1. Default Re: Hula Bowl: LL1

Boomer I quit taking the printed paper. I live on a slow traffic street with a huge driveway. Somehow they can’t or won’t toss the paper onto it. Instead into the garden, the dew covered lawn, or the curbing. After decades of asking, demanding, and begging I said enough. Realized I missed nothing and have money for my morning coffee to beat it all.

Default Re: Hula Bowl: LL1

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    He does not have a civil engineering degree. He got out of engineering his freshman year. His degree is in General Studies.
    Beau Knows!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Dang I could have sworn I saw him summer interning with a local engineer firm
    His major was shown when they showed the football graduates during bowl week. Also I attended a QB Club meeting 2019 when he spoke about school.

His major was shown when they showed the football graduates during bowl week. Also I attended a QB Club meeting 2019 when he spoke about school.
    BC, if we never meet face to face again in my life, I would like to say what a pleasure it was to meet you up in Booneville. That may not have been the biggest stadium in the world. But it held a lot of ASU tradition, which we became a part of that Saturday afternoon. I loved cheering on our guys & letting their fans know we were there. I appreciate you being there as well as Cajun Soldier. I know I hurt some feelings with some of my posts, although some they should scratch their heads & hang em in shame. But you sir, like quite a few others, have been powerful witnesses for the U of LOUISIANA.

Dang I could have sworn I saw him summer interning with a local engineer firm
    I was told that he did.

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    Mr. Wagon,

Please do not equate a poster's view of reality as being a desire to slight the school or the player. The simple reality is that both Louisiana and Levi have serious limitations. Some of those limitations can be alleviated or even abolished through hard work over time; others are inherent. To acknowledge such, does not mean that the poster does not wish the school or the player well, it is simply facing reality.

The reality is that Levi will not play in the NFL; the reality is that he might very well not even be drafted; the reality is, he will not be invited to the combine. I wish these facts were not so, but wishing them away will not make them disappear.

I am been a verbal supported of Lewis on this board. However, the simple fact is that, when assessing talent, Lewis was an above average G5 quarterback and an average QB for Div. 1 as a whole.

This is not at all a slight on the young man. In fact, it is a testament to his many other qualities, that he was for more successful than his physical abilities would have predicted. And, those other qualities will stand him in much better stead in his adult, professional life than how tall he was, or how mobile, or his (in)ability to hit a medium pass over the middle.
    Eloquently put & the words of a true peace maker they are. I completely understand them & agree. And I cannot disagree with your assessment, or his. The appearance is you may both be 100% correct in your assessment & I don't argue against that assessment. However, the facts point out incredibly against your assessment, his assessment & my assessment although mine is for somewhat different reasons than either of yours.

What I am saying, is that by the matter of his team record, combined with his athletic accomplishments, plus the sum of his ability to make decisions & MOST Importantly, his ability to respect the freaking football, he has put himself in the precarious position of being a potential NFL quarterback. And don't tell me he won't take a hit, or can't take a hit. I saw him take plenty of punishment this year buying time for his team mates. Levi Lewis was one tough little SOB. If that's not what the NFL is looking for, then why in the hell do I want to waste my time on the NFL? I'm telling you, this guy should be in that combine. There won't be but 4 or 5 guys drafted & everyone knows who they are, so why is he not part of that next number to be called?

When is ULs pro day?

8. Default Re: Hula Bowl: LL1

I would predict that 6-8 qbs get drafted this year. And I agree 100% this is not a great class. But for sure these 5 are guaranteed to be drafted.

Kenny Pickett. Pitt
    Matt Corrall. Ole Miss
    Malik Willis. Liberty
    Desmond Ridder. Cincy
    Sam Howell. UNC

Carson Strong. Nevada probably will get drafted as well very late. He has a huge upside.

But I think one or 2 of the following will be a surprise pick for someone.

Bailey Zappe. Western Kentucky
    Brock Purdy. Iowa State
    Dorian Thompson Robinson. UCLA
    And watch out for

EJ Perry. Brown. He is a transfer from Boston college. Huge upside. Could be a late round shocker.

I'm pretty sure Lewis had already came out and said he was going to work. Wanted to use his civil engineering degree or go into coaching.

If he wants to do civil work he needs to find a job and start working on getting his PE rather soon.
    You are right. I had heard he interned at Fenstermaker. Hopefully he already has his EIT and starts getting some valuable experience.

He does not have a civil engineering degree. He got out of engineering his freshman year. His degree is in General Studies.
    Oops, please disregard my previous post for it no longer applies.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    When is ULs pro day?
    With NIL, isn't it every day now?

Quote Originally Posted by mahtoo View Post
    I was told that he did.
    That's what I understand as well.

Now...said firm employs lots of field surveyors too, which you don't need an engineering degree to perform, and can still make a good career.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    I would predict that 6-8 qbs get drafted this year. And I agree 100% this is not a great class. But for sure these 5 are guaranteed to be drafted.

Kenny Pickett. Pitt
    Matt Corrall. Ole Miss
    Malik Willis. Liberty
    Desmond Ridder. Cincy
    Sam Howell. UNC

Carson Strong. Nevada probably will get drafted as well very late. He has a huge upside.

But I think one or 2 of the following will be a surprise pick for someone.

Bailey Zappe. Western Kentucky
    Brock Purdy. Iowa State
    Dorian Thompson Robinson. UCLA
    And watch out for

EJ Perry. Brown. He is a transfer from Boston college. Huge upside. Could be a late round shocker.
    Nice, thanks: And when I look at all of those guys, one term comes to mind, developmental player. And in some cases another term comes to mind. Follow your alternate career path young man. I only see one first round pick in this whole group & the fact that he bowed out of his bowl game would bother the hell out of me as an NFL GM. So he might not even make the 1st round. That's Pickett. Strong & Zappe both have potentially huge upside, but upside isn't getting guy into the first round at QB. Ritter's been the most consistent.

I'm still trying to figure out what's so special about Willis from Liberty. Another reason I want other guys at that combine besides knowing the NFL's propensity to miss on so many great players through the years. Is their propensity to miss on so many duds. When I have the pressure of having to draft an unproven player which is what these guys are. I want to see them along with guys who are considered better & worse. I even want a few guys who's physical skill set, or size might not match their accomplishment level.

The number one problem with pro scouting in the NFL is everyone is always looking for the under achieving super athletic looking guy & so few do the due diligence of looking for the over achieving mentally tough guy who is willing to put in the work & always seems to perform their best when the stakes are their highest. This is why Tom Brady almost wasn't drafted. And had he been from Central Michigan instead of Michigan, he wouldn't have been invited to the combine. It's why Drew Brees was a second round pick. It's why Kurt Warner wasn't invited & almost never played the game. It's why Jake Delhome wasn't invited & almost never played the game. Just because something's been screwed up 40 years doesn't mean in a case as this it can't be unscrewed. By the way, the same type of people who say Levi Lewis isn't BIG enough to play in the NFL, said the same exact thing about Johnny Unitis. He got run off from Noter Dame for being a peep squeak. Then he got run off from the Steelers for the same reason. Now I'm done.

14. Default Re: Hula Bowl: LL1

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    Nice, thanks: And when I look at all of those guys, one term comes to mind, developmental player. And in some cases another term comes to mind. Follow your alternate career path young man. I only see one first round pick in this whole group & the fact that he bowed out of his bowl game would bother the hell out of me as an NFL GM. So he might not even make the 1st round. That's Pickett. Strong & Zappe both have potentially huge upside, but upside isn't getting guy into the first round at QB. Ritter's been the most consistent.

I'm still trying to figure out what's so special about Willis from Liberty. Another reason I want other guys at that combine besides knowing the NFL's propensity to miss on so many great players through the years. Is their propensity to miss on so many duds. When I have the pressure of having to draft an unproven player which is what these guys are. I want to see them along with guys who are considered better & worse. I even want a few guys who's physical skill set, or size might not match their accomplishment level.

The number one problem with pro scouting in the NFL is everyone is always looking for the under achieving super athletic looking guy & so few do the due diligence of looking for the over achieving mentally tough guy who is willing to put in the work & always seems to perform their best when the stakes are their highest. This is why Tom Brady almost wasn't drafted. And had he been from Central Michigan instead of Michigan, he wouldn't have been invited to the combine. It's why Drew Brees was a second round pick. It's why Kurt Warner wasn't invited & almost never played the game. It's why Jake Delhome wasn't invited & almost never played the game. Just because something's been screwed up 40 years doesn't mean in a case as this it can't be unscrewed. By the way, the same type of people who say Levi Lewis isn't BIG enough to play in the NFL, said the same exact thing about Johnny Unitis. He got run off from Noter Dame for being a peep squeak. Then he got run off from the Steelers for the same reason. Now I'm done.
    I don't think this is accurate, but Todd McShay has 5 QB's going in the first round, including Ridder, Howell, Willis, Pickett and Corral. If that is to occur then their will be at least 8 QB's taken.

Willis is all about athleticism. What they see in Willis is what others have seen in a guy like Lamar Jackson or even Trey Lance. McShay in his mock draft has Pickett #12 to the Steelers, he has Matt Coral #13 to Washington, he has Willis #17 to Denver, he has Ridder #19 to the Saints and finally he has Sam Howell #25 to the Lions.

Mel Kiper has 4 going in the 1st round. He has Willis going pick 11, Pickett 18, Corral 20, Howell 28. Interestingly enough he does not have Ridder in the 1st round, but does consider Ridder the QB with the most upside, he thinks he reminds him of Josh Allen who had many of the same attributes. He thinks he will be an early to mid 2nd rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    I don't think this is accurate, but Todd McShay has 5 QB's going in the first round, including Ridder, Howell, Willis, Pickett and Corral. If that is to occur then their will be at least 8 QB's taken.

Willis is all about athleticism. What they see in Willis is what others have seen in a guy like Lamar Jackson or even Trey Lance. McShay in his mock draft has Pickett #12 to the Steelers, he has Matt Coral #13 to Washington, he has Willis #17 to Denver, he has Ridder #19 to the Saints and finally he has Sam Howell #25 to the Lions.

Mel Kiper has 4 going in the 1st round. He has Willis going pick 11, Pickett 18, Corral 20, Howell 28. Interestingly enough he does not have Ridder in the 1st round, but does consider Ridder the QB with the most upside, he thinks he reminds him of Josh Allen who had many of the same attributes. He thinks he will be an early to mid 2nd rounder.
    I'm breaking my word, but WTH, you threw out too much red meat this morning. Just by reading what you wrote, it would make sense to me if either one of these guys is correct, or close to go along with what you said, to have a ratio of players to seriously scout, not only for the purpose of drafting a guy, but also for the purpose of not drafting a guy I'm gonna miss on with a 1st round pick.

Look, Willis passes the "eye ball test." And if you only look at his highlight reel you could get enthralled with the guy. But he can't hold Lamar's jock strap coming out of Louisville. The simple fact is his numbers aren't that good & his receivers were running wide open most of the time against the competition they played for a lot of his career. When the competition stiffened up some at the end of the season this year, he went in the tank. Ole Miss stoned him. Then UL owned him, then Army disowned him. He makes way too many mistakes & misreads. IMO he will only become a major waste of someone's time & a waste of a high draft choice.

Coral is a project player at best. Pickett & Ridder are the only two that have any shot of playing in their rookie season & being effective to any degree IMO. I'm weary of UNC QBs period & Howell just reminds me of a distant cousin of Trubisky. Those guys might be right. But it's just a guarantee of more misery & wasted time for fans of more NFL teams. Personally I hope they're just pimping these guys. If there is any accuracy to what they are saying the league needs at least a 2-1 ratio of guys at the combine to help these teams make a better analysis of these people. To get to that number they need to call guys like Levi out & say come participate. Help us not screw this thing up.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information