Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: NIL Repercussions?

Default Re: NIL Repercussions?

Quote Originally Posted by mxpxfr690 View Post
    NIL is good for the players. They have a right to earn money. What the NCAA needs to do is contain the out of control transferring to get “better” NIL deals…. Once you are 18 your an adult and you should be treated as such. As for the people that are getting criticized for saying players have no loyalty should be left alone also. They have a right to that opinion. College athletes are not kids they are adults so if they want to play in the adult world they better be ready to take the criticism that comes with it….the NCAA can make the transfer rules back to sitting out a year and also turn scholarships into to actually contracts… you can sign for 2, 3, 4 years with a program…..once that contract is finished they can access that money from the NIL… if they breach that contract they must pay the school back the money of the signed contract plus damages or a penalty fee so to speak… this is just one idea, but there are many ways to start keeping NIL in check.
    NCAA and schools have no control over NIL money. It's all from boosters and rules say school logos can't be used (unless changed recently). All the school does is make sure the NIL deal is good with the NCAA before allowing the contract to be signed. Obviously, some schools will be shady like always.

2. Default Re: NIL Repercussions?

This is true? I believe it is. Now you local mega rich guy, can both donate to the university and pay joe athlete as much as you want for his signature. You’re a collector trying to get ahead of his future fame.

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    NCAA and schools have no control over NIL money. It's all from boosters and rules say school logos can't be used (unless changed recently). All the school does is make sure the NIL deal is good with the NCAA before allowing the contract to be signed. Obviously, some schools will be shady like always.
    The only thing the NCAA doesn't want the schools involved in is direct from the way it's been presented. That way no one can file a class action lawsuit against the universities for unfair labor practices. Basically they have just washed their hands of having any pretense of being a haven for amateur sports.

I can tell you when & how this is all gonna end. If it ends there. It's gonna end when a player in the locker room of a college football team ends up shooting one or more of his teammates over money talk. Young hot headed previously poor men plus insane amounts of money is a sure fire recipe for disaster. Does anyone remember the Baylor basketball team? That situation is destined to repeat itself many times over at this rate.

5. Default Re: NIL Repercussions?

The NIL $$$ will be plentiful initially. However, when these NIL deals start impacting the bottom line of companies or the ROI on the NIL deals doesn't pan out then we'll see how things play out.

Furthermore, who will advise these athletes on the tax implications of these NIL deals?

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    Furthermore, who will advise these athletes on the tax implications of these NIL deals?
    Hopefully no one from the universities get tasked with this. The athletes can pay someone to advise them, out of the funds from their NIL deal. Or maybe the boosters will help them pro-bono.

7. Default Re: NIL Repercussions?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Hopefully no one from the universities get tasked with this. The athletes can pay someone to advise them, out of the funds from their NIL deal. Or maybe the boosters will help them pro-bono.
    I believe universities will be tasked with providing education on taxes. The only reason Athlete A has an NIL deal is because of him or her playing a sport at the University. Eventually, an athlete will get in trouble with the tax man and when they do get ready some lawyer will be right there preparing a lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    I believe universities will be tasked with providing education on taxes. The only reason Athlete A has an NIL deal is because of him or her playing a sport at the University. Eventually, an athlete will get in trouble with the tax man and when they do get ready some lawyer will be right there preparing a lawsuit.
    Timeout, though.

If according to NCAA rules, the university and/or their staff is forbidden from having any involvement with NIL, and if said athlete has zero obligation to said university (i.e. transfer portal out whenever he/she wants), then how would the university have any obligation to provide financial education and consultation?

Seems to me the university's responsibility remains what it was before. Education and consultation/advisers on how to maintain eligibility, progress towards a degree with the scheduling of proper classes, and all the funding tied to scholarships (tuition, housing, books, meal plan, etc.).

9. Default Re: NIL Repercussions?

Timeout, though.

If according to NCAA rules, the university and/or their staff is forbidden from having any involvement with NIL, and if said athlete has zero obligation to said university (i.e. transfer portal out whenever he/she wants), then how would the university have any obligation to provide financial education and consultation?

Seems to me the university's responsibility remains what it was before. Education and consultation/advisers on how to maintain eligibility, progress towards a degree with the scheduling of proper classes, and all the funding tied to scholarships (tuition, housing, books, meal plan, etc.).
    I get what you're saying 100% and I agree. I'm looking at this from a risk management standpoint. If I were the president of the university, I'd rather have the university conduct an educational session on tax responsibilities related to NIL deals and have the player sign off on attending the session, rather than do nothing.

10. Default Re: NIL Repercussions?

Yeah that’s crazy sometimes. It’s like people getting sued for not having security at their motel properties. Then if you have security you clearly knew about the dangers and didn’t do enough. Whatever enough is.

Timeout, though.

great point…

Didnt a certain coach have a rule of a one year suspension for any arrest, no matter what? (or was that just for dui?) Hopefully more coaches have similar rule. (unless of course the arrest doesnt come until eligibility is exhausted, then what ncaa?)

imagine that, there already is a class…. maybe they can squeeze that into their already overworked 9-12 hours a semester….. at no extra cost

Attached Images Attached Images  

13. Default Re: NIL Repercussions?

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    great point…

Didnt a certain coach have a rule of a one year suspension for any arrest, no matter what? (or was that just for dui?) Hopefully more coaches have similar rule. (unless of course the arrest doesnt come until eligibility is exhausted, then what ncaa?)
    …….And now the tax questions for the contributions from backers…..will all these donations to players just be an advertising expense? EXAMPLE “Hey Ragin’ Cajun fans …..just want to say our Offensive line protects our QB just like State Farm agents protect us with coverage…….and like a good neighbor State Farm is there”!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    …….And now the tax questions for the contributions from backers…..will all these donations to players just be an advertising expense? EXAMPLE “Hey Ragin’ Cajun fans …..just want to say our Offensive line protects our QB just like State Farm agents protect us with coverage…….and like a good neighbor State Farm is there”!
    and does ncaa require that the NIL “donor” show proof that they are in fact a business advertising a product or service?

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    imagine that, there already is a class…. maybe they can squeeze that into their already overworked 9-12 hours a semester….. at no extra cost
    A senior level course with a junior level prerequisite. Nice...

The more I watch this unfold, universities have to find a way to be away from this cesspool when it blows up.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information