Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: NIL Repercussions?

Default Re: NIL Repercussions?

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    What are these 18 & 19 year old KIDS gonna do with all that money? How long before they get into the type of trouble $$ causes when you are young, dumb and full of C**. How about driving up to games in limos with their posse. Drugs, sex, bling, etc. etc. Can't see this ending up being a positive for the kids, the program or the university.
    You're going to have a really hard time convincing me that it is never in a person's best interest to receive more money than they had before. In fact, I'd bet all the money I have that overall, people who receive financial windfalls end up much better off in the long run than people who don't.

You're also going to have a hard time convincing me that this money will send kids into a spiral of sex, drugs, and rock and roll. They are already able to stay on the straight and narrow just to have a chance at playing football for free. Giving them an NIL payment will give them an even bigger incentive to stay clean, show up on time, and perform at a high level.

Yes, there will always be people who are irresponsible with money. But those people will end up broke with or without an NIL deal. They'll just have a lot more fun in-between with the NIL deal. And of course many others will be smarter and realize this is likely a one-time windfall and they'll invest the money wisely. There will be hundreds of different outcomes because there will be hundreds of individuals making their own financial decisions.

will they have to pay their pell grants and student loans back, or can they get all three every year?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    You're going to have a really hard time convincing me that it is never in a person's best interest to receive more money than they had before. In fact, I'd bet all the money I have that overall, people who receive financial windfalls end up much better off in the long run than people who don't.

You're also going to have a hard time convincing me that this money will send kids into a spiral of sex, drugs, and rock and roll. They are already able to stay on the straight and narrow just to have a chance at playing football for free. Giving them an NIL payment will give them an even bigger incentive to stay clean, show up on time, and perform at a high level.

Yes, there will always be people who are irresponsible with money. But those people will end up broke with or without an NIL deal. They'll just have a lot more fun in-between with the NIL deal. And of course many others will be smarter and realize this is likely a one-time windfall and they'll invest the money wisely. There will be hundreds of different outcomes because there will be hundreds of individuals making their own financial decisions.
    . According to the New York Daily News, 70 percent of lottery winners end up broke within seven years. Even worse, several winners have died horribly or witnessed those close to them suffer.

4. Default Re: NIL Repercussions?

Quote Originally Posted by CRAWFISH61 View Post
    So it is better to be poor than have money. There maybe some who ____ it away but many will have family to help guide them to make correct decisions. I guarantee that if one of my children would be offered significant NIL money, the first stop would be my financial adviser to invest the money. This is the most overblown concern about the NIL. Most won’t get more than a modest amount of money.
    The first thing to understand is nobody gives two farts about the foolish young men. Most posters are only making an observation on what’s happened to thousands of high draft picks in the NFL. The typical found money person is blown money.

As to would make sure your child gets to investment consular. Yeah that may be your level of influence. It’s not most.

These young men buy mama a house and get tapped by their buddies left and right.

Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    . According to the New York Daily News, 70 percent of lottery winners end up broke within seven years. Even worse, several winners have died horribly or witnessed those close to them suffer.
    Like I said, people who are bad with money are going to end up broke with or without a windfall.

And if you consider the type of person who plays the lottery regularly (it skews very poor and financially illiterate,) 70% sounds about right.

6. Default Re: Hula Bowl: LL1

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    Levi has looked better than any of the QBs in this game.

I could see him getting a shot in the new XFL or USFL.
    XFL or USFL or The Rock League will be the big NIL losers.

"You wanna pay me what?"

Two issues that I don’t think anybody has discussed

First, recruiting costs

P5 schools which seem to have their recruiting Costs go down because all they have to do is look down The road to pilfer players who established themselves as legitimate talents at the G fives.

And then the corresponding increase in recruiting costs to G fives as they are having to beat the bushes for replacements.

Second issue… What about the G fives Who may just throwin the towel on football and the subsequent loss in higher education opportunities for the population most representative with regard to those scholarships

8. Default Re: NIL Repercussions?

I think you are right about the G5 schools having to work much harder, but also the internet has lowered recruiting costs immensely.

I stand by the fact that if coaches can leave immediately, players should be able to. But coaches typically have stipulations about buyouts, etc. going forward I can see the same thing being put into action for players. The school that wants that transfer will need to pay the school that player is leaving for time spent developing that player.

I stand by the fact that if coaches can leave immediately, players should be able to. But coaches typically have stipulations about buyouts, etc. going forward I can see the same thing being put into action for players. The school that wants that transfer will need to pay the school that player is leaving for time spent developing that player.
    I absolutely agree with you on the point about coaches being able to leave.

I think the NCAA needs to step in and make it hurt for the teams that are throwing millions at G5 coaches, subsequently forcing the G5’s to offer a higher salaries.

Make it hurt.

11. Default Re: NIL Repercussions?

The school that wants that transfer will need to pay the school that player is leaving for time spent developing that player.
    Great idea.

I would stipulate production time development, not just sitting the bench development. Otherwise it's a wash.

I think this is reasonable. Transfer after 1 year would get the school a 25k buyout, 2 year 50k, etc. this would loosely cover the cost of education and training. Grad transfers should be free since the kid has held up his end of the bargain.
    This would still hurt G5 schools, but at least we would get something back. In our case we would get approximately 250k for our trouble. Kind of like a low level free agency.

The flip side would be the scholarships should be guaranteed for 3 years unless an injury settlement is reached or an FCS offer is available to continue playing. This would help ensure these kids get an education and still get to play football.

13. Default Re: NIL Repercussions?

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    I think this is reasonable. Transfer after 1 year would get the school a 25k buyout, 2 year 50k, etc. this would loosely cover the cost of education and training. Grad transfers should be free since the kid has held up his end of the bargain.
    This would still hurt G5 schools, but at least we would get something back. In our case we would get approximately 250k for our trouble. Kind of like a low level free agency.

The flip side would be the scholarships should be guaranteed for 3 years unless an injury settlement is reached or an FCS offer is available to continue playing. This would help ensure these kids get an education and still get to play football.
    Most schools honor the students who fully do their part. If they’re simply not talented enough the school often helps them get into a better situation.

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    There is no universe where you can convince me that it’s fine for a coach to sign a 10 year $100M contract and players make nothing. The reason coaches have made that much is because boosters weren’t allowed to give money to players.

The free market is at work. If players had no value, they wouldn’t be getting deals. What needs to change is the free transfer rule.
    Ok, but aren't these amateur athletes. When you get paid to play aren't you called a professional? I already quit the nfl, I am hoping I don't have to do the same for college football.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/leighst...-go-broke/amp/

There is a big downside of NIL not realized yet. The big boys are slinging cash around to get good college players, but the vast majority of the college players won’t even sniff the NFL. Look for expectations and reality to be an issue. Be patient Cajun fans, it will all settle out in 5 years.

Basketball is a train wreck and will only get worse…there’s 350 D1 teams. Football has 130 FBS, and is in no danger of 220 teams moving up. It will be worked out.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information