Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: McCaskill portelets out

Default Re: McCaskill portelets out

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    Interesting. I know nothing about training, personal or otherwise, but I wonder if that would be done today. I remember 60 years ago, there were weights the you could wear around your ankles while running. The idea was that the weights would build up the leg muscles used while running. In fact, what happened was that it threw off your stride and could result in injury. Don't know but wonder if the same thing cold happen with a heavier ball.
    I know for many quarterbacks they use lighter balls in the off-season to keep arm speed up. Heavy = slow is the theory for swinging and throwing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    I know for many quarterbacks they use lighter balls in the off-season to keep arm speed up. Heavy = slow is the theory for swinging and throwing.
    Using both heavier and lighter balls makes sense.

3. Default Re: McCaskill portelets out

Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    I'm not a fan of the theory.

Do baseball pitchers use lighter balls in off-season practice?

What about batters, does using lighter bats in the off-season help their hitting speed in the regular season?

The only advantage I see to a lighter football, is if the QB is rehabing or trying to stay toned and or keep his mechanics or improve his mechanics.

If throwing a lighter ball had arm speed advantages, you would see wet rainy day ball throwing improvement. You almost always see a sluggish arm when the ball gets wet and heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Using both heavier and lighter balls makes sense.
    That's what she said...

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Could you site a study suggesting your theory is right, and define what you mean by too much weight training in season.
    It will be right next to the study that shows not letting football players drink water during practice makes them tougher.

6. Default Re: McCaskill portelets out

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    It will be right next to the study that shows not letting football players drink water during practice makes them tougher.
    Bear Bryant, dat you?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I'm not a fan of the theory.

Do baseball pitchers use lighter balls in off-season practice?

What about batters, does using lighter bats in the off-season help their hitting speed in the regular season?

The only advantage I see to a lighter football, is if the QB is rehabing or trying to stay toned and or keep his mechanics or improve his mechanics.

If throwing a lighter ball had arm speed advantages, you would see wet rainy day ball throwing improvement. You almost always see a sluggish arm when the ball gets wet and heavier.
    Yes. Actually look it up. Lighter bats are used in training to increase bat speed. With swinging there are underweighting and overweighting training principles.

As far as throwing, you really should check out Tom House’s stuff. All of the top NFL QBs and many MLB pitchers work with him.

I don’t think you will change your mind because you have a fixation on this subject, but it might be interesting stuff to learn about.

Drew Brees (before retirement) and Tom Brady throw lighter balls in the off-season, just FYI

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Larry Zeno told me to soak the football to make it heavier than when dry. Warm up properly, then throw the heavy ball hard and long. No throwing the next day or the day after too if your arm is too sore. Then rinse/repeat...no pun intended. Build arm strength and stamina by throwing the football using all muscles involved in the mechanics of the throw. I got in a throwing competition during a spring game a few years back and was surprised how much my lower back hurt the next day. Never realized how much I used my upper torso when trying to throw hard.

I'm sure the professional trainers today have a more sophisticated regiment for QB's, but Zeno's method made sense then.
    I would think this would make sense. People train with heavier swing aids in golf to develop more swing speed. In basketball, we used to practice at times with basketballs that were about 1 1/2 larger than a regular ball to dribble and shoot.

9. Default Re: McCaskill portelets out

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Bear Bryant, dat you?
    Yeah, Bryant for football core knowledge, and Louie Pasteur for Covid advise.

Question on these transfer players if/once they reach the NFL....what university do they say they are from when they are on national TV? If a player plays 3 years for say UL and portals out to FL, and then they make the NFL...where do they say they played college ball?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint08 View Post
    Question on these transfer players if/once they reach the NFL....what university do they say they are from when they are on national TV? If a player plays 3 years for say UL and portals out to FL, and then they make the NFL...where do they say they played college ball?
    It is the same way when guys make the hall of fame.

Any word on where Lorenzo is ending up?

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Any word on where Lorenzo is ending up?
    Back in the cULture...from what I understand

That would be huge!

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Back in the cULture...from what I understand
    I sure hope this is correct. He has not committed to any other school