Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: McCaskill portelets out

Default Re: McCaskill portelets out

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    I would love to see CF be our starter because he's the best in the QB room gives us our best chance to win. And, he's paid his dues and deserves get a fair shot at that opportunity. If that happens, I'll fully support that, no issues at all. However, I don't know if his intangibles (which are very positive) will give him that opportunity because he won't be a ture dual threat guy. He's not immobile either, but he won't be a true RPO QB and that's what I think Des is gonna go for. Some of that may because he was that type of QB when he played, but most of it is because of the problems good, dual threat QBs cause defenses.

Also, if our OL doesn't measure up with pass blocking, I think he'll be looking at a couple of other options besides CF. Also, unless CF grows taller, he will be another short QB in the pocket, which will still limit his ability to throw short underneath routes over the middle. In that case, Herring, Legendre, Chriss all would be considered in that role. With Legendre having the upper hand due to time under center at Maryland and because they were able to watch him weekly playing scout team QB.

That's my take. Probably best if we wait till spring before naming our projected starters. If the only way you want to bet is if I name my starter now, it would be Legendre...and that's not knowing anything other than what I've seen watching his highlights. Can't go wrong either way, because I'll still get a shrimp po'boy even if I lose and I'll have the chance to meet a RP guy I don't know!
    Good take. Except we won’t know after spring. I can see there not being a starter named until game day or a few days before. If for no other reason than to keep your opponents guessing all summer. Also I think you’re under estimating CFs speed somewhat as a runner. I hear what you are saying about height but that can be overrated at times. Breese, Wilson, Mahomes, Mayfield,.... just to name a few with chandlers height.

What you think of the possibility of having a starter and then special packages for guys with different skill sets?

Can I box an exacta?

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Can I box an exacta?
    Don’t know if the show will be revealed. We may only the win and the place on the depth chart.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Good take. Except we won’t know after spring. I can see there not being a starter named until game day or a few days before. If for no other reason than to keep your opponents guessing all summer. Also I think you’re under estimating CFs speed somewhat as a runner. I hear what you are saying about height but that can be overrated at times. Breese, Wilson, Mahomes, Mayfield,.... just to name a few with chandlers height.

What you think of the possibility of having a starter and then special packages for guys with different skill sets?
    Brees, Wilson, Mayfield are really, really good....generational good. Mahomes is 6'3". I think throw CF in with that group of "shorter QB's" is a giant leap of faith.

Levi was a gifted runner with elite quickness and speed...making him extremely difficult to sack. That ability definitely offset his lack of height and some of his not so good pass attempts. I don't believe CF has anywhere near Levi's running ability, so he would have to be really outstanding throwing the nut. I know he will be more consistently accurate than Levi, but still very short in this day and age to be throwing from the pocket. I played at 6" back in the 70's with lineman tall lineman being 6'3", today they are all over 6'5". We commits and incoming OL that are 6'7", 6'8". It helps to be able to see your receiver to complete a pass. Tall QB's have a huge advantage in the pocket.

LL2 is gifted running and throwing, I mean you don't get 24 D1 offers form the likes of Alabama, Georgia, Tx A&M, Fl State, Miami, Missouri, Kentucky, OK state, TN and others if you don't have elite skills. Now, if he's struggling to get command of the offense then that will likely keep him on the bench or significantly reduce his snap counts.

I won't be surprised if CF is the starter and will be a staunch supporter, but honestly, I will be a little disappointed that the other QB's with arguably better skills couldn't beat him out.

Brees, Wilson, Mayfield are really, really good....generational good. Mahomes is 6'3". I think throw CF in with that group of "shorter QB's" is a giant leap of faith.

Levi was a gifted runner with elite quickness and speed...making him extremely difficult to sack. That ability definitely offset his lack of height and some of his not so good pass attempts. I don't believe CF has anywhere near Levi's running ability, so he would have to be really outstanding throwing the nut. I know he will be more consistently accurate than Levi, but still very short in this day and age to be throwing from the pocket. I played at 6" back in the 70's with lineman tall lineman being 6'3", today they are all over 6'5". We commits and incoming OL that are 6'7", 6'8". It helps to be able to see your receiver to complete a pass. Tall QB's have a huge advantage in the pocket.

LL2 is gifted running and throwing, I mean you don't get 24 D1 offers form the likes of Alabama, Georgia, Tx A&M, Fl State, Miami, Missouri, Kentucky, OK state, TN and others if you don't have elite skills. Now, if he's struggling to get command of the offense then that will likely keep him on the bench or significantly reduce his snap counts.

I won't be surprised if CF is the starter and will be a staunch supporter, but honestly, I will be a little disappointed that the other QB's with arguably better skills couldn't beat him out.
    Not saying CF is a Breese, Mayfield or lets say Kyler Murray. CF doesn't have to be all pro. But definitely has all the tools to be all belt. Levi no doubt had this 6 sense with seemingly eyes behind his head at times. But when it comes to straight up 40 times he and CF are basically even according to a few kids on the team. CF is also a weight room rat much more solid and physical than Levi ever was. I'll agree with you LL2 is the more physically gifted of the bunch, but there is a reason why when Des recently talked about the QBs and the back up race last year it was Fields and Woldridge that battled for the 2 spot. That leads me to believe it will come down to what is between the ears and how you take control of the offense. Wooldridge will be the dark horse in this race.

To be honest I don't know who the next QB will be. I base everything I've said on what a few kids in the WR room, who see them at practice every day, have told me.

Not saying CF is a Breese, Mayfield or lets say Kyler Murray. CF doesn't have to be all pro. But definitely has all the tools to be all belt. Levi no doubt had this 6 sense with seemingly eyes behind his head at times. But when it comes to straight up 40 times he and CF are basically even according to a few kids on the team. CF is also a weight room rat much more solid and physical than Levi ever was. I'll agree with you LL2 is the more physically gifted of the bunch, but there is a reason why when Des recently talked about the QBs and the back up race last year it was Fields and Woldridge that battled for the 2 spot. That leads me to believe it will come down to what is between the ears and how you take control of the offense. Wooldridge will be the dark horse in this race.

To be honest I don't know who the next QB will be. I base everything I've said on what a few kids in the WR room, who see them at practice every day, have told me.
    You mean you’re not just making this stuff up? Just think you should know, that people have been kicked off of this board for less serious offenses than that.

The position is all about decision-making… Des will start THAT guy.

8. Default Re: McCaskill portelets out

Once the season starts those QB arms better stay off the heavy weights or we will never know how accurate they could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Once the season starts those QB arms better stay off the heavy weights or we will never know how accurate they could have been.
    Not all weight work outs are created the same. I trust the S&C professionals know what work outs are best for QBs arm strength and flexibility.

10. Default Re: McCaskill portelets out

Could you site a study suggesting your theory is right, and define what you mean by too much weight training in season.

This nonsense again.

Larry Zeno told me to soak the football to make it heavier than when dry. Warm up properly, then throw the heavy ball hard and long. No throwing the next day or the day after too if your arm is too sore. Then rinse/repeat...no pun intended. Build arm strength and stamina by throwing the football using all muscles involved in the mechanics of the throw. I got in a throwing competition during a spring game a few years back and was surprised how much my lower back hurt the next day. Never realized how much I used my upper torso when trying to throw hard.

I'm sure the professional trainers today have a more sophisticated regiment for QB's, but Zeno's method made sense then.

13. Default Re: McCaskill portelets out

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    This nonsense again.
    I'm trying to be predictable but you keep one-upping me.

Larry Zeno told me to soak the football to make it heavier than when dry. Warm up properly, then throw the heavy ball hard and long. No throwing the next day or the day after too if your arm is too sore. Then rinse/repeat...no pun intended. Build arm strength and stamina by throwing the football using all muscles involved in the mechanics of the throw. I got in a throwing competition during a spring game a few years back and was surprised how much my lower back hurt the next day. Never realized how much I used my upper torso when trying to throw hard.

I'm sure the professional trainers today have a more sophisticated regiment for QB's, but Zeno's method made sense then.
    Interesting. I know nothing about training, personal or otherwise, but I wonder if that would be done today. I remember 60 years ago, there were weights the you could wear around your ankles while running. The idea was that the weights would build up the leg muscles used while running. In fact, what happened was that it threw off your stride and could result in injury. Don't know but wonder if the same thing cold happen with a heavier ball.

Tom House is an excellent Twitter follow if you like to nerd out on this stuff.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread Information