Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Michael Desormeaux addresses UL transfer portal losses and tweets

Default Re: Michael Desormeaux addresses UL transfer portal losses and tweets

Quote Originally Posted by tdncz View Post
    I hear you brother
    Been “not giving up” (more often than nought -banging my head against the wall) regarding this team for over 40 years now.
    I pray this NIL and transfer portal crap can be contained -AT LEAST return to sitting out a year
    That has to happen. Otherwise, you can't contain it.

Guys. I have been talking with CFB enthusiasts about this for 4-5 years now. Forget the 130 teams in CFP division. Forget the 66 teams considered P-5 (that includes ND and BYU). The world of college only props 20-22 teams as the “Big Boys”. Soon even some of the mid level and doormat P-5s will be treated the same as JC/CC 2yr pathways to the large schools with more money and more avenues to NIL.

- USC, UCLA, Washington
    - Notre Dame
    - MSU, Mich., OHST, PSU, Neb.
    - Clemson, Pitt, FSU, Miami
    - Bama, UGA, FLa, Auburn, Ole Miss, ARK, TAMU, LSU, OU, Texas

UW is a maybe on this list. Also, look which conference has the most teams. This is how the leverage will shift. Players will park at Arizona for 2 years until the players transfer out or draft up, then AZ will transfer to USC for more glitz and glamour. Sure AZ will retool with players from other low P-5s and G-5s, but give it a free years. Every other team not in the ones I listed above, will be irrelevant and have as much of a chance at CFP as we do. JMO

3. Default Re: Michael Desormeaux addresses UL transfer portal losses and tweets

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    Guys. I have been talking with CFB enthusiasts about this for 4-5 years now. Forget the 130 teams in CFP division. Forget the 66 teams considered P-5 (that includes ND and BYU). The world of college only props 20-22 teams as the “Big Boys”. Soon even some of the mid level and doormat P-5s will be treated the same as JC/CC 2yr pathways to the large schools with more money and more avenues to NIL.

- USC, UCLA, Washington
    - Notre Dame

UW is a maybe on this list. Also, look which conference has the most teams. This is how the leverage will shift. Players will park at Arizona for 2 years until the players transfer out or draft up, then AZ will transfer to USC for more glitz and glamour. Sure AZ will retool with players from other low P-5s and G-5s, but give it a free years. Every other team not in the ones I listed above, will be irrelevant and have as much of a chance at CFP as we do. JMO
    I believe many on RP have penned similar views.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post

- USC, UCLA, Washington
    - Notre Dame

Let the top 20 P5 teams leave the NCAA really dont matter to me. We can have a dam fun league without them

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Let the top 20 P5 teams leave the NCAA really dont matter to me. We can have a dam fun league without them
    I don't think that will happen. I could be wrong, but I don't think CFB would be nearly as popular, which means attendance and especially TV viewership would decline, which means the big boys' income would drop drastically.

In addition, long time conference membership would have to be drastically revised. much more than anything we've seen to date.

With people like Saban and Kirby stating that limitations need to be set, I believe NIL and portal will be curtailed. these guys are literally at the top of the top. If they think this is not a good situation, I can't imagine anyone thinking it is.

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    I don't think that will happen. I could be wrong, but I don't think CFB would be nearly as popular, which means attendance and especially TV viewership would decline, which means the big boys' income would drop drastically.

In addition, long time conference membership would have to be drastically revised. much more than anything we've seen to date.

With people like Saban and Kirby stating that limitations need to be set, I believe NIL and portal will be curtailed. these guys are literally at the top of the top. If they think this is not a good situation, I can't imagine anyone thinking it is.
    I believe they will either put a cap on NIL per year (highly unlikely)

B. Put back in the 1 year sit out rule on transfers which is is probably the more likely outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    I believe they will either put a cap on NIL per year (highly unlikely)

B. Put back in the 1 year sit out rule on transfers which is is probably the more likely outcome.
    I agree. The NCAA can change the portal rule on its own. Given court rulings on NIL, I think that would require Congressional action.

8. Default Re: Michael Desormeaux addresses UL transfer portal losses and tweets

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    I agree. The NCAA can change the portal rule on its own. Given court rulings on NIL, I think that would require Congressional action.
    Actually I believe that the NCAA can have an important say in the NIL. They just have to declare the recipients aren’t amateurs and competing with amateurs can be limited by the NCAA. The question isn’t can they, but dare they. The NCAA can’t simply take the NIL for themselves without an agreement between all parties involved.

Since there’s nobody representing, such as a player union, all the players those agreements would have to be individually contracted.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Actually I believe that the NCAA can have an important say in the NIL. They just have to declare the recipients aren’t amateurs and competing with amateurs can be limited by the NCAA. The question isn’t can they, but dare they. The NCAA can’t simply take the NIL for themselves without an agreement between all parties involved.

Since there’s nobody representing, such as a player union, all the players those agreements would have to be individually contracted.
    I think the Courts have already ruled on NIL. Out of NCAA's hands is my understanding. I believe the whole question was whether an athlete could receive NIL and still be considered an amateur.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I believe many on RP have penned similar views.
    Yes, this conversation goes back to Steve Hale and his prediction back then that eventually there will only be 20-25 super power programs and they will separate in another classification from the rest. Everyone else left in the old P5 and G5 will basically be in the same classification.

He also suggested that there would be cross conference scheduling agreements and regional conferences for better television revenue and reduced travel cost.

The guy was 99% right on all of it, but people were listening to Farmer back then and didn't have a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowley Cajun View Post
    That has to happen. Otherwise, you can't contain it.
    Coaches too. You move on before the end of your contract without being fired, you sit out a year.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    Coaches too. You move on before the end of your contract without being fired, you sit out a year.
    I don't think that will ever happen.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information