Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 JMVCAJUNS Softball Outlook

UL Softball 2022 JMVCAJUNS Softball Outlook

Hello Ragin Cajun softball fans. This is (J) Just (M) My (V) View of the 2022 Cajuns softball team from what I have seen at fall ball practices, fall ball intersquad games, etc. I did get a little input from a few close friends of mine with ties to the program.

Catcher:
    Sophie Piskos-Soph...She hit .333 in 57 at bats last year. Look for her to lead the team in homeruns and be the vocal leader of this team. A very high energy kid who has added some serious pop to her bat.

Sophie is the only real catcher on the roster and that is a major concern of mine if we have a covid or injury issue. She will be backed up by Mayeux and Kotzelnick.

Pitchers:
    Kandra Lamb-Jr...Was 17-5 with a 2.02 era last year. She looked very good this fall and should enter the season as the veteran ace of the staff.

Sam Landry-Fr...Sam was the #4 overall recruit in the nation out of high school. Sam is the real deal and could push Lamb for ace status. She throws very hard and with control.

Megan Schorman-Jr...A transfer from Kentucky who also throws hard and has control. She will be a huge part of this pitching staff. Was 7-1 with a 1.30 era before covid shut the 2020 season down.

Vanessa Foreman-Jr...Probably the most improved pitcher on the staff. She has really taken off under Coach Robe. She will be a major weapon out of the bullpen from 1 to 9 batters.

Taylor Snow-Fr...She redshirted last year and is still working hard to adjust to the D1 game.

Tyler Oubre-Fr...Threw well at Destrehan high until her arm (non pitching) was broken on a line drive comebacker. I could see her redshirting.

The pitching staff will be a huge strength as we have four pitchers that I would feel comfortable starting along with a big time lefty in Foreman who will chew hitters up. With Lamb and Schorman we can afford to groom Landry at Coach Glasco pace. I am not worried about the pitching staff.

Outfield:
    Raina O'Neal-Jr...She was hitting .421 before going down with an season ending injury. Look for Raina to be Raina. She will be a steady all around player and leader. She will start in CF.

Maddie Hayden-Fr...She will be as good as Haley was. Enough said. She has speed to kill and will probably start in LF, but could play anywhere in the OF or IF. I would like to see if she can play catcher?

McKenzie Wittenberg-Fr...A kid out of Florida who may redshirt but also could be used as an pinch runner. Super fast and can play OF or 2nd if needed.

Frankie Izard-Jr...Frankie was 14-15 in steals and hit .474 in a part time roll last season along with sporting a .630 on base avg. before going down for the season. She sat all fallball to recover. If she gets hot she could earn a starting OF spot.

Kramer Eschete-Fr...She was the top hitter in the fall. If she carrys this over to the spring she could end up starting in RF. The most surprising kid of the fall.

Kayla Falterman-Fr...She is to good not to play this season. Will be used as a pinch runner, late defensive replacement and even as a bunter off the bench.

Samantha Graeter-Fr...Had a good fall and needs that to carry over to the spring and she will then get some playing time.

Jenna Keen-Sr...One of two seniors on the roster. Jenna needs to get consistent and she will play alot. She was 29-32 in steals last year. She could steal 50 bases if she can get her on base average up.

The Cajuns have a ton of options and depth in the outfield. The outfielders are very fast and will be very good in the field.

Infield:
    Ari Quionenes-Jr...A Washington transfer who could start at 2nd. Had a very good fall and it will be interesting to see if she starts. Most of the players see her as a player in the starting lineup.

Taylor Roman-Fr...Coming off a major knee injury and still not 100%. If healthy she will be a huge power present in the lineup. Look for Taylor to be at 1st and DP.

Jourdyn Campbell-Soph...A Texas A&M transfer. She has 3rd base locked down. She will supply alot of power and hit for a high average. Also a very hard worker.

Laney Credeur-Fr...Probably will redshirt as she adjusts to the D1 game. Has a bright future as a Cajun.

Melissa Mayeux-Sr...One of two seniors on the roster. If she hits, she will start somewhere. She can play anywhere but pitcher. She was the allstar MVP of the Florida summer league. Mayeux is the hardest worker on the team.

Stormy Kotzelnick-Fr...Another Washington transfer. She is a very strong athlete who can play anywhere. In the mold of Mayeux if she hits, she will start. Very excited to have her for 4 seasons.

Alexa Langeliers-Fr...Super athlete who looked strong in the fall. Her brother was the 9th overall pick in the 2019 mlb draft. She will have a huge career as a Cajun. A defensive stud!

The Cajuns have a ton of options and depth in the infield also. The infielders are very fast and will be very good in the field like the outfielders.

Utility:
    Karly Heath-Jr...Karly has been a huge surprise as a pitcher this fall and will be up to 71mph. Her improvements gives the Cajuns 4 strong starting pitchers. Karly also lead the team in homeruns last year with 8. I think Karly will start in RF when she isn't pitching at least to start the season.

*This will be a fun team to watch and might be the fastest team overall team ever at UL.

*Coach Glasco has a ton of options and can go with a speed, power or defensive lineup.

*Pitching will keep us in every game. Coach Robe has been very impressive as a pitching coach. He brings a lot to the staff and you guys will be happy with him.

*JMV'S sleeper report. Expect a HUGE season from Piskos, Heath and Mayeux.

*If we have no injuries, no covid, and no more transfers coming in, and the season started today. This would be MY defensive lineup.

LF-Hayden
    CF-O' Neel
    RF-Heath
    3RD-Campbell
    SS-Langeliers
    2ND-Kotzelnick
    1ST-Mayeux
    DP-Roman
    C-Piskos
    P-Lamb

*If you are looking for tickets then you will be in the outfield. All of the grandstand chairbacks and bleacher seats have been sold out!

* I can't wait to catch up with WestUCajun, BeauCajun, Lcitsh and Roarman. And as always go Cajuns and see you at the ballpark.

Default Re: 2022 JMVCAJUNS Softball Outlook

Thank Bro ready for some softball GEAUX CAJUNS

Nice young team. One of the youngest in the country but plenty of talent. May struggle on offense early in the year. Defense will have to be strong early to make up for the offense shortcomings.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    Nice young team. One of the youngest in the country but plenty of talent. May struggle on offense early in the year. Defense will have to be strong early to make up for the offense shortcomings.
    The pitching may have to carry us for a while.

Thanks for all the info. Kind of surprised you think that Piskos will lead the team in HRs. Does that mean you think we won't hit for much power?

Quote Originally Posted by ragin50 View Post
    Thanks for all the info. Kind of surprised you think that Piskos will lead the team in HRs. Does that mean you think we won't hit for much power?
    Sophie has improved alot with her power. The ball just jumps off her bat. The Cajuns may not hit for as much power team wise as in the past, but we still have some homerun hitters. This team has more speed than power for sure. Might be the fastest softball team ever at UL.

Thank you for providing this for everyone.

Nice overview. My biggest concern is the health of Roman. I hope she's able to get back to where she once was. Heck, I'd take 90%.

As a long time Cajun fan, I got spoiled with the team hitting more than a hundred home runs each year. However, there's more than one way to win a game. It may take a minute for this team to get in a rhythm, but once it does, the Cajuns may steal the most bases in division one.

When a runner gets on base, don't blink. They are running.

Quote Originally Posted by roarman View Post
    Nice overview. My biggest concern is the health of Roman. I hope she's able to get back to where she once was. Heck, I'd take 90%.

As a long time Cajun fan, I got spoiled with the team hitting more than a hundred home runs each year. However, there's more than one way to win a game. It may take a minute for this team to get in a rhythm, but once it does, the Cajuns may steal the most bases in division one.

When a runner gets on base, don't blink. They are running.
    Me and you are normally on the same page. Please give some feedback on my report that you may see differently. Another set of eyes and opinions never hurt. I am waiting on Mr. Lcitsh to give his 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Me and you are normally on the same page. Please give some feedback on my report that you may see differently. Another set of eyes and opinions never hurt. I am waiting on Mr. Lcitsh to give his 2 cents.
    I don't see a lot differently.

I, maybe, am not as sold on Vanessa Foreman as you are. I just don't think she throws hard enough.

It will be interesting to see what happens at shortstop.

As I stated earlier, I really think Taylor Roman is going to have to heal up more than she has. I think, at designated player, if Carly Heath is not playing in the outfield, she may be a better choice because she's 100% healthy. If Stormy is not on the field, she'll be an option as well.

Frankie did not play during fall ball because of injuries. Glasco has so many freshmen capable of playing in the outfield, I don't see Frankie breaking into the lineup until maybe the middle of the year.

Thanks for the overview JMV, should be a fun team to watch. Glad I'm not the coach having to make the lineup, too many choices!!
    But my heart sank every time I read "Coach Robe"

Geaux Cajuns!!!

Quote Originally Posted by roarman View Post
    I don't see a lot differently.

I, maybe, am not as sold on Vanessa Foreman as you are. I just don't think she throws hard enough.

It will be interesting to see what happens at shortstop.

As I stated earlier, I really think Taylor Roman is going to have to heal up more than she has. I think, at designated player, if Carly Heath is not playing in the outfield, she may be a better choice because she's 100% healthy. If Stormy is not on the field, she'll be an option as well.

Frankie did not play during fall ball because of injuries. Glasco has so many freshmen capable of playing in the outfield, I don't see Frankie breaking into the lineup until maybe the middle of the year.
    Foreman is throwing a few miles per hour harder but she will never blow it by anyone. Her biggest improvements with Jut is her mental make up, confidence, pitch selection and she has greatly improved her movement. She will be a situational pitcher or a one time thru the lineup pitcher.

As for shortstop it will be Langeliers or Mayeux. If it is Langeliers then Mayeux will be at 1st.

Thanks for the information JMV. We seem to have a lot of young talent that bodes well for the future. Looking forward to the upcoming season.

Decent summation of the team. Sophie will force the team to be its best because she will work very hard at being her best. Karly Heath will be a great pitcher and will reach 72 mph. Vanessa Foreman took lessons from Kyla Hall last summer and changed her delivery because of that. She is our only left handed pitcher. Melissa Mayeux stayed here during Christmas break and worked hours and hours EVERY day. She will be a slugger. Ari Quinones is a better second baseman than Stormy Kotzelnick. Who knows where Stormy will play?
    Gerry will change the lineup a lot at the beginning of the season. Whoever practices harder will be on the field. They will all practice hard, Gerry will have a really difficult time. He came in four years ago wanting to have a pitching staff with a starter, reliever and closer. We may see that this year. He says none of the pitchers will have 30 wins, the games will be divided pretty evenly amongst the three or four pitchers, with each having 10 to 15 starts. What a luxury! It is an exciting time to be a Cajun Softball fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Looney Lou View Post
    Decent summation of the team. Sophie will force the team to be its best because she will work very hard at being her best. Karly Heath will be a great pitcher and will reach 72 mph. Vanessa Foreman took lessons from Kyla Hall last summer and changed her delivery because of that. She is our only left handed pitcher. Melissa Mayeux stayed here during Christmas break and worked hours and hours EVERY day. She will be a slugger. Ari Quinones is a better second baseman than Stormy Kotzelnick. Who knows where Stormy will play?
    Gerry will change the lineup a lot at the beginning of the season. Whoever practices harder will be on the field. They will all practice hard, Gerry will have a really difficult time. He came in four years ago wanting to have a pitching staff with a starter, reliever and closer. We may see that this year. He says none of the pitchers will have 30 wins, the games will be divided pretty evenly amongst the three or four pitchers, with each having 10 to 15 starts. What a luxury! It is an exciting time to be a Cajun Softball fan.
    Thanks for the input Lou.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information