Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What is going on?

Default Re: What is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    Unfortunately, this is a new era of NCAA football. And I’m afraid UL isn’t on the right side of the fence…
    I’m starting to think we are on the right side.

There will be 20 to 30 professional football corporations. The rest will coalesce into a new collegiate model with reasonable NIL limits.

I have no interest in being part of that pro cess pool.

I agree that this is terrible for G5, especially for teams like us that have recruited/developed players really well and had a special season. G5’s that do that will continue to get raided.

I do believe however that because all of this is so new, players feel compelled to “test the waters” What will be interesting is to see amongst G5 players in the portal, how many players actually transfer vs stay. Then of the ones who transfer to P5, how many of them actually benefitted from it. I think that over time most players will realize that the grass isn’t always greener and we will see transfer portal numbers decline.

But with all that being said…..this off season sure sucks

Ragin' Cajuns Re: What is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
    If I may expand on your post- College football as we knew it is dead. And its kind of sad. However everyone in college football has been chasing the dollars harder and harder as the money became bigtime over the past 20 years. The money pouring in will increase with the CFB playoff expanding to 12 or whatever in near future. More gas to pour on the fire. Can't blame these kids for chasing a dollar, just like the coaches, administrators, etc. Its the American way. Like all of us who have been in the workforce a good while, we know the grass isn't always greener out there. There will be hard lessons learned. Still, this stinks to high heaven watching our team's top talent being syphoned off overnight by the NIL/Portal. It is a bunch of BS how this is shaking out. We can't just throw our hands up and give up. So how do we compete in this new CFB free agency universe? Ragin Cajuns Athletics must develop NIL strategies, inviting every RCAF booster and all business supporters to participate in the process, get a game plan, etc. We're not going to compete at the SEC level, but like our projected year end ranking we need to aim for Top 5 of G5 NIL results. This NIL money grab is in its infancy. Its fast evolving, the train is taking off, no one knows where it going to end up. We need to jump aboard and do our best to play this NIL game successfully -get the players. . . no matter how much we don't like it what it entails. Just give it our best shot. CMD posted a quote by Albert Einstein today on Twitter that sums it up well-"In the middle of every difficulty, lies opportunity".
    Boom, nailed it. We have to compete in the nil/transfer portal or we WON'T compete on the field, PERIOD.

#cULture
    #WeAreLouisiana
    #GeauxCajuns
    #ConferenceChampions

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    Boom, nailed it. We have to compete in the nil/transfer portal or we WON'T compete on the field, PERIOD.

#cULture
    #WeAreLouisiana
    #GeauxCajuns
    #ConferenceChampions
    It will be hard to complete in the NIL. We can't get folks to donate $50 to the RCAF foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    This is where I was and where I’m at as well.

Yeah, I think we can pretty much all agree that requiring a one-year sit out and only having five years to play four would go along way.

But I think the NCAA should also step in with the coaches.

I think the NCAA should require a minimum buyouts required if a coach is under contract. And if that coach is terminated within three years after being hired away from somebody else, there should be a bonus penalty to the previous employer.
    The NCAA is dead. With NIL to put restrictions on players could be perceived as restraint of trade/employment. The third party, the NIL providers control the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    The NCAA is dead. With NIL to put restrictions on players could be perceived as restraint of trade/employment. The third party, the NIL providers control the situation.
    What I see happening is that the NCAA will try to put up restrictions and then the SEC will try to break away and form a mini NFL league while inviting a few more big names to join like Ohio state, USC, Oregon, Clemson, Norte Dame, Michigan, Wisconsin, Miami, and Florida State. They will probably eventually expand to 32 and play a league only schedule…. It will be ____ty to watch the SEC destroy college football….the only way it would be stopped is if the PAC12 and BIG 10 put their foot down and say no, but my crystal ball says this is where we are headed…sad the college football has been completely ruined in 1 year because of NIL and no rules in place.

7. Default Re: What is going on?

The thing is even including the top 1-20 schools more than 75% of the players will be hurt by easy ass transfer portal and NIL CONTRACTS.

The idiots who are pushing this agree it’s not good overall but the wants and needs of a few must be advanced.

Had a crazy thought how the NCAA can put the brakes, to a degree, on this. Put the STUDENT back in student-athlete. Put the money chasing athlete answering to two powers…the third party money man and the classroom. Sounds crazy, but could work. No grades, no play, no money.

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    At the time our new coach was announced It was my understanding all the players “loved” Mike. It was also said that our new coach will continue and enhance the culture and the program. On both instances this has proven to be wrong. Idk of many programs in the country that could survive what has taken place. If this portal crap and NIL stuff is not modified we will be in rebuild mode every year and that is something Dr Maggard did NOT base his hire on. Unfortunately Mike has a very steep hill to climb, and it almost feels like hes making that climb alone. Its a very unfortunate situation.
    What evidence have we seen “proving” that the players don’t “love” CMD?

10. Default Re: What is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by cajungmg View Post
    It will be hard to complete in the NIL. We can't get folks to donate $50 to the RCAF foundation.
    We can get folks to invest into RCAF. When we find a competent outreach team that understands small donations matter too, we will get a lot more members. We also need a comprehensive plan to cultivate Large, Medium and Small donations coming into the coffers. We don't currently have that. And we certainly don't execute it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    We can get folks to invest into RCAF. When we find a competent outreach team that understands small donations matter too, we will get a lot more members. We also need a comprehensive plan to cultivate Large, Medium and Small donations coming into the coffers. We don't currently have that. And we certainly don't execute it properly.
    Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Do you think it would be smart or a good idea to have someone local or an alumni with connections run the RCAF?

Yes hire coaches nationally (outside of Louisiana) and fund raisers locally in Louisiana.

Another solution to this problem, effective immediately, P5 can only play other P5 and no G5 universities. If they want separation, then give it to them completely. Then G5 universities could have a true playoff system, no bowl games and eventually watch the P5 system eventually fall apart. They can not survive without G5 universities on their schedules. There are a lot more G5 universities out there to set up a schedule than P5. P5 universities would eventually get tired of playing the same other 20 or so P5 schools.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint08 View Post
    Another solution to this problem, effective immediately, P5 can only play other P5 and no G5 universities. If they want separation, then give it to them completely. Then G5 universities could have a true playoff system, no bowl games and eventually watch the P5 system eventually fall apart. They can not survive without G5 universities on their schedules.

Just a thought.
    Among other problems would be restraint of trade restrictions and the fact that many G5 schools depend on these P5 games to support their athletic department.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information