Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: We Need A Cajun Collective

Default Re: We Need A Cajun Collective

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestStory View Post
    I actually believe the original intent of the transfer portal was good. It allowed players who were stuck on the bench a chance to get playing time elsewhere.

For example, Jalen Hurts was the starter at Bama, but Tua comes in and takes over as the starter. Instead of Hurts finishing his career on the bench, he can transfer somewhere else, get playing time, and keep his draft stock where it needs to be.

The problem is the ridiculous combo of: NIL + transfer portal + not having to sit out a year.
    There was nothing good about the transfer portal ever.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestStory View Post
    I actually believe the original intent of the transfer portal was good. It allowed players who were stuck on the bench a chance to get playing time elsewhere.

For example, Jalen Hurts was the starter at Bama, but Tua comes in and takes over as the starter. Instead of Hurts finishing his career on the bench, he can transfer somewhere else, get playing time, and keep his draft stock where it needs to be.

The problem is the ridiculous combo of: NIL + transfer portal + not having to sit out a year.
    Agree with your above post about NIL "intent" and transfer portal "intent". One of them, by themselves, ok.

The combo, however, is going to destroy anyone who is not one of the largest 30-40 football programs with unlimited resources of supporters with large pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Agree with your above post about NIL "intent" and transfer portal "intent". One of them, by themselves, ok.

The combo, however, is going to destroy anyone who is not one of the largest 30-40 football programs with unlimited resources of supporters with large pockets.
    I'm not sure there are 30-40 football programs with unlimited resources. Probably only 15-20 that don't have to worry about a budget. FYI, UL is not in that group!!!! LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    I'm not sure there are 30-40 football programs with unlimited resources. Probably only 15-20 that don't have to worry about a budget. FYI, UL is not in that group!!!! LOL!!
    Whatchoo talkin' about, Willis?

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    There was nothing good about the transfer portal ever.
    I think the transfer portal would have been a good thing for UL IF it wasn't for NIL. Those two together are poison for G-5 schools.

Here's the dilemma as I see it. For a school like UL it wouldn't matter if you tried to pay your players. There would always be someone who would be willing to pay them more & you still lose out. So does it matter? I wouldn't be opposed to an overall team pool that boosters could donate to & have banquet nights with the players, or do some kind of fund raising just to show some appreciation to ALL of the players. But to target key players & screw everyone else is absolutely the wrong way to build any team program. No matter what, if the school is to field a football program of any value, it must adhere to these types of beliefs, even IF they did a student assistance program.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Some important voices are saying that the money sports and universities need a divorce. The team basically a paid representative for the schools. Grades and classes optional.
    It's probably like that already. These kids are going to those schools for one reason.

8. Default Re: We Need A Cajun Collective

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    Here's the dilemma as I see it. For a school like UL it wouldn't matter if you tried to pay your players. There would always be someone who would be willing to pay them more & you still lose out. So does it matter? I wouldn't be opposed to an overall team pool that boosters could donate to & have banquet nights with the players, or do some kind of fund raising just to show some appreciation to ALL of the players. But to target key players & screw everyone else is absolutely the wrong way to build any team program. No matter what, if the school is to field a football program of any value, it must adhere to these types of beliefs, even IF they did a student assistance program.
    The teams that have money aren’t paying only stars, the chorus line gets plenty.

9. Default Re: We Need A Cajun Collective

It's probably like that already. These kids are going to those schools for one reason.
    I’m not explaining it clearly. Two separate businesses. The Tigers are a separate business they aren’t a subset of LSUA&M. They go to practice instead of class. They study film instead of books. They never get a degree unless they actually want one.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I’m not explaining it clearly. Two separate businesses. The Tigers are a separate business they aren’t a subset of LSUA&M. They go to practice instead of class. They study film instead of books. They never get a degree unless they actually want one.
    I understand & agree. Let's face it. Only a professional team could play the way they played a couple of years ago. And Alabama's been like that for years. So has OSU, OU, Oregon, Michigan, Clemson. It's a select group of schools.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    This is all child’s play. Yes these NIL deals will exist and might make a difference to some recruits, but the real play is in booster-led NIL deals.

For example, a group of Texas boosters announced a plan to pay every single athlete in 5 sports 100k/yr no questions asked. So in the future when a recruit comes for a visit, they’ll be asking us how much their NIL deal will be. And if La Tech or UTSA or other G5 boosters are giving their athletes NIL payments and we aren’t, where do you think they will choose to play football?

All things being equal, people will always make the choice that puts more money in their pockets.
    Where would Tech get that kind of money?

I will sit in a stadium every Saturday to watch kids who love the school they’re playing for, who stand for the national anthem, who want to be here. Otherwise, my interest level drops significantly.

Where would Tech get that kind of money?
    Every team has sugar daddies. The question is which team’s sugar daddies are going to play this game.

La Tech boosters obviously aren’t going to match what an SEC school gives, but if they are able to do even 10k and we aren’t, La Tech is going to beat us in a lot of recruiting battles.

at what point can stakeholders sue a business that made poor investments and profits/stock price suffered and/or they fail to meet other obligations possibly even file bankruptcy?

and if that occurs will the ncaa step in and rule the original NIL payment to the particular athlete as fraudulent and forfeit their games? (i know they wont on part two, lol)

p.s. is tax evasion an ncaa violation?

also ironic that pell grants are based on parents income prior to enrollment. yet i wager making two million upon enrollment wouldnt lead the govt to call for the student to return the pell grant money….

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information