Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: We Need A Cajun Collective

Default Re: We Need A Cajun Collective

I posted this in another thread, but think it is relevant here as well.

NIL can't be used directly to recruit a player, but here is what Texas Longhorns are doing:

Boosters set up a program called "The Pancake Factory" which will pay offensive lineman on scholarship $50,000 a year. They are not targeting any certain recruit, but the word is out that "if you sign a scholarship to play o-line at Texas, you will get $50,000."

The program was set up as the first "charitable NIL entity" and the players will perform charity work for yet-to-be-disclosed charities. The organization said it hopes to expand the program to other football position groups and Longhorns athletes in the future.

SOURCE: https://www.espn.com/college-footbal.ritable-causes

SOURCE: https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/.-in-nil-system

I don't care how much money I ever have. I just can not envision any scenario where I'm willing to pay a teenager money to play on a team where I have no monetary return at stake - purely for entertainment and pride.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    I don't care how much money I ever have. I just can not envision any scenario where I'm willing to pay a teenager money to play on a team where I have no monetary return at stake - purely for entertainment and pride.
    Same. This is all so ridiculous, and it has already rocketed out of control.
    Another reason we have to start a men's soccer program. College football is on its death bed.

This is where I am at as well.

The system is broke. It's dumb and wasteful to invest in an athlete to come here to develop his skills on our dime only to go elsewhere once a better offer is on the table.

The Cajuns, like all other G5s and many lower level P5 programs are bringing a knife to a gun fight with top programs in the nation in this situation.

5. Default Re: We Need A Cajun Collective

Quote Originally Posted by TCbacker54 View Post

The Cajuns, like all other G5s and many lower level P5 programs are bringing a knife to a gun fight with top programs in the nation in this situation.
    When the P5 sucks ALL the oxygen out of the room . a knife will be the perfect tool in a gun fight.

Agree with most posters that I will NOT give money to directly pay athletes. If anyone on this planet thinks it is smart to pay kids like UT and the Aggies are, then they are crazy. The whole sport is eroding in front of us because of money. Started from the top down and now we are debating about paying someone money that has no vested interest in our university AFTER said person was given a scholarship.

College athletics was so loved b/c it was pure and not all about money. My how the times have changed.

7. Default Re: We Need A Cajun Collective

Clearly you, like myself, don’t have money enough to use Benjamin’s as toilet paper. Some do, and all their life. Others to show they got it.

8. Default Re: We Need A Cajun Collective

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    Same. This is all so ridiculous, and it has already rocketed out of control.
    Another reason we have to start a men's soccer program. College football is on its death bed.
    Yeah, you can’t really believe any sport is exempt. Especially if it’s popular or becomes popular.

9. Default Re: We Need A Cajun Collective

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    Investigations are already starting. This will get messy real quick. Pay-to-play is still an NCAA violation. The Texas A&M Point Donor system is against NCAA rules and they're doing it out in the open fully knowing this. Question as always, will the NCAA actually do something or kick the can down the road?

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-probes.213627746.html
    You may recall when the NCAA was told to shove it by the Autonomous 5. That year they essentially told the NCAA they would run things the way they wanted to. If they have different needs from the rest. This year the NCAA volunteered to back out of disciplining them. They will basically be their own judge and jury. The Autonomous 5 really is the Autonomous 20. These 20 football and basketball power schools run things and their conference mates can get on the back of the bus or get off. The rest G5 and Div I need to understand they’re on the byway not super interstate system.

I actually believe the original intent of NIL was good. For example:

Bryce Young - he is a sophomore Heisman trophy winner, meaning he cannot declare for the NFL for another year. His autograph is super valuable now in the sports memorabilia world. I believe he should absolutely be able to host signings whenever he wants and charge whatever amount of money collectors are willing to pay, and put that money in his pocket.

But paying players just to pay them is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Clearly you, like myself, don’t have money enough to use Benjamin’s as toilet paper. Some do, and all their life. Others to show they got it.
    You're definitely right in that I don't use Benjamin's to prevent skid marks & no where close to these (Texas) A&M boosters. However, I am very fortunate and would never consider my charity savings to go towards the current NCAA climate.

I actually believe the original intent of NIL was good. For example:

Bryce Young - he is a sophomore Heisman trophy winner, meaning he cannot declare for the NFL for another year. His autograph is super valuable now in the sports memorabilia world. I believe he should absolutely be able to host signings whenever he wants and charge whatever amount of money collectors are willing to pay, and put that money in his pocket.

But paying players just to pay them is ridiculous.
    I agree and agree.

I actually believe the original intent of the transfer portal was good. It allowed players who were stuck on the bench a chance to get playing time elsewhere.

For example, Jalen Hurts was the starter at Bama, but Tua comes in and takes over as the starter. Instead of Hurts finishing his career on the bench, he can transfer somewhere else, get playing time, and keep his draft stock where it needs to be.

The problem is the ridiculous combo of: NIL + transfer portal + not having to sit out a year.

The other NIL issue I see on the horizon:

While in college, NCAA football players were typically on a 3-4 year audition for the NFL. They were motivated and busting their butts in an attempt to make it to the next level. If they didn't perform at a high level in college (or start having discipline problems), it would keep them from reaching their dream of a big NFL payday.

When you start giving college kids $50k a year, some of them will be less motivated, get into more trouble, skip classes, etc.

SOURCE: imagining all the dumb things I would have done if given that much money as an 18-22 year old

15. Default Re: We Need A Cajun Collective

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestStory View Post
    The other NIL issue I see on the horizon:

While in college, NCAA football players were typically on a 3-4 year audition for the NFL. They were motivated and busting their butts in an attempt to make it to the next level. If they didn't perform at a high level in college (or start having discipline problems), it would keep them from reaching their dream of a big NFL payday.

When you start giving college kids $50k a year, some of them will be less motivated, get into more trouble, skip classes, etc.

SOURCE: imagining all the dumb things I would have done if given that much money as an 18-22 year old
    Some important voices are saying that the money sports and universities need a divorce. The team basically a paid representative for the schools. Grades and classes optional.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information