Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Montrell Johnson portalets out to Florida

Default Re: Montrell

I’m not knocking these guys for trying, but wouldn’t it be poetic if we filled their spots with better talent and when they asked to come back their scholarship was gone?

2. Default Re: Montrell

Now that they are a commodity Should they be year to year without any expectations of renewal. Right now a athlete who is polite, does well in class, active in practice, weight training, and just not quite as good as expected is generally kept on scholarship, or placed where he can accomplish his goals with another school.

An alternative is no free transfer with always another year of scholarship at his current school. Levels the free agency aspect of a portal.

Regarding the foxhole mentality mentioned here by several posters. I had a long talk with a former teammate and we both agreed that when the players were giving the privilege of getting "living expenses" which allowed them to leave campus in some cases and find rental apartments, things changed in the locker room. When we were all housed in one dorm, it really brought the whole team together. Friendships and relationships created for lifetimes. We were always headed "to the back" of campus to Stokes dorm. Yeah, it was a pretty ____ty dorm, but it was the jock dorm and it was the location for the some of the craziest and longest lasting memories those of us living there ever had or will have. Most of our reunions are time spent talking about what happened in the dorm, not as much on the field. So, I feel this separation of living together diminishes the bonds that do form, just not at the same level as in past. It would make it easier to leave your teammates behind. Not saying this is a primary reason for what's happening, but I believe it's very relevant to the environment they are dealing with.

That's some useful insight Slick, no doubt that plays a part.

Well now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    Well now.

Tell'em Chris!

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Regarding the foxhole mentality mentioned here by several posters. I had a long talk with a former teammate and we both agreed that when the players were giving the privilege of getting "living expenses" which allowed them to leave campus in some cases and find rental apartments, things changed in the locker room. When we were all housed in one dorm, it really brought the whole team together. Friendships and relationships created for lifetimes. We were always headed "to the back" of campus to Stokes dorm. Yeah, it was a pretty ____ty dorm, but it was the jock dorm and it was the location for the some of the craziest and longest lasting memories those of us living there ever had or will have. Most of our reunions are time spent talking about what happened in the dorm, not as much on the field. So, I feel this separation of living together diminishes the bonds that do form, just not at the same level as in past. It would make it easier to leave your teammates behind. Not saying this is a primary reason for what's happening, but I believe it's very relevant to the environment they are dealing with.
    Call me ignorant, so can't they combine both? Have an apartment complex just for the athletes? Call it RACA Complex. (RAgin CAjun Complex)
    Just a thought

Tell ‘‘em Rick.

9. Default Re: Montrell

……And don’t forget the helping of teammates like putting up TV antennas!…y’all were nuts!

Stokes Dorm was a foxhole...

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Stokes Dorm was a foxhole...
    So were some of the female dorms!

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    So were some of the female dorms!
    He'll be here all week folks...and please, try the veal...

Etienne signs with UF.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    Etienne signs with UF.
    Commits?

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Commits?
    Yep.

https://hailfloridahail.com/2022/01/...ns-gators/amp/

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast