Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Portal

Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I'm hoping Cajun T can come on and add some context to this because I'm still struggling to see why people view this as an NIL deal. NIL is not between you and the university. It's about your ability to sell your image or likeness to promote products from outside vendors. I'm not sure how Torrence would benefit more by going to Florida where he is not known there as some way for him to make more money.
    Top P5 programs are getting their corporate sponsors, law firms and other business entities to offer deals to any athletes that sign with the program. It lures athletes to come play for your program with larger NIL opportunities, in addition to playing for a higher profile program if you are an NFL prospect.

The University of Texas recently offered any HS linemen that sign with the program a guaranteed NIL deal worth $50K. This is apparently allowed under the NCAA Guidelines, but some P5 programs are pushing the envelope.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Top P5 programs are getting their corporate sponsors, law firms and other business entities to offer deals to any athletes that sign with the program. It lures athletes to come play for your program with larger NIL opportunities, in addition to playing for a higher profile program if you are an NFL prospect.

The University of Texas recently offered any HS linemen that sign with the program a guaranteed NIL deal worth $50K. This is apparently allowed under the NCAA Guidelines, but some P5 programs are pushing the envelope.
    Wow. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    Your being naive. The head coach tells the vendor who they want and then the vendor will talk to the player. But the head coach is calling the shots.
    So, its not a brokerage?

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    So, its not a brokerage?
    Not in the sense that the University or coach get a commission. But, everyone knows in whom a particular school is interested, and, when a scholly is offered, it's public knowledge. If I'm Joe FatCat, I simply approach those athletes with an offer. I don't even have to speak with anyone at the school.

How would Napier be unaware of it? Some business doesnt just randomly offer a kid an NIL deal on the off chance he may end up there. These businesses offering NIL deals would need to know what players are wanted. Napier has to want those players, and let them know they have a place. Regardless if its about NIL or just a scholarship offer, those kids had to be contacted and let them know they have a place there. Unless you believe Garner and Torrence just didnt want to be here and entered the portal together, with no place in mind. It ALL starts with Napier. Am I upset because I didnt think this would happen? Absolutely not. I said this would happen. Its upsetting because if Napier gave Des the recommendation to "continue" what we had going, then systematically pillages the compound of our best coaches, staff, and players....thats sh__y. Its like, "hey buddy, Im handing you the keys to the kingdom!" "Oh, by the way, Im taking the kingdom with me.....but you can have these keys." Whats most damaging is that you did that to a coach with zero ties and contacts outside this university. I feel bad for Des. Do I get it? Yes. Its just the way it is now? Yes. Its still sh__ty to do to someone you were were supposedly trying to help. If this is "just business" and thats what he was gonna do, dont recommend Des. Recommend a guy like himself that had the experience, the tools and the contacts to be able to do what he did here.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    How would Napier be unaware of it? Some business doesnt just randomly offer a kid an NIL deal on the off chance he may end up there. These businesses offering NIL deals would need to know what players are wanted. Napier has to want those players, and let them know they have a place. Regardless if its about NIL or just a scholarship offer, those kids had to be contacted and let them know they have a place there. Unless you believe Garner and Torrence just didnt want to be here and entered the portal together, with no place in mind. It ALL starts with Napier. Am I upset because I didnt think this would happen? Absolutely not. I said this would happen. Its upsetting because if Napier gave Des the recommendation to "continue" what we had going, then systematically pillages the compound of our best coaches, staff, and players....thats sh__y. Its like, "hey buddy, Im handing you the keys to the kingdom!" "Oh, by the way, Im taking the kingdom with me.....but you can have these keys." Whats most damaging is that you did that to a coach with zero ties and contacts outside this university. I feel bad for Des. Do I get it? Yes. Its just the way it is now? Yes. Its still sh__ty to do to someone you were were supposedly trying to help. If this is "just business" and thats what he was gonna do, dont recommend Des. Recommend a guy like himself that had the experience, the tools and the contacts to be able to do what he did here.
    Mr. Jeweler, everyone knows is whom a school is interested, which athletes have visited, and which athletes have been offered a scholly. I don't need to have any contact with the school to know that and offer an NIL to a pursued athlete contingent on the athlete attending that school. I could even offer to pay tuition and expenses, which frees up a scholarship for the school.

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    Mr. Jeweler, everyone knows is whom a school is interested, which athletes have visited, and which athletes have been offered a scholly. I don't need to have any contact with the school to know that and offer an NIL to a pursued athlete contingent on the athlete attending that school. I could even offer to pay tuition and expenses, which frees up a scholarship for the school.
    So they are offering tuition to a kid without telling the head coach? It all starts and ends with the head coach. These donors are just setting up LLCs to sponsor whatever kid the coach tells them is high priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Balanced_view View Post
    These types of emotions never make sense to me. So you rather be with someone who openly hates and wants to keep you under their foot than someone who loved you for many years but made a decision to help themselves At your expense once. I see this all the time in life and it's weird to me.
    Didn’t say that.

I am a Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns fan first and foremost.

End. Period. Full stop.

My allegiance lies with nobody else.

My emotional investment is with this university and everything associated with it.

I’m not gonna _____ myself out to Florida because they hired our coach. And maybe now poaching some of our players.

Again, somebody said it was naïve to think that this wasn’t going to happen.

And if that is so,I equally think it’s naïve to think that these players moving are simply happening in a vacuum.

You can’t have it both ways… If the big boys are going to do with the big boys are going to do, they’re going to do it across the board.

You see, yours is an emotion that I don’t understand.

I understand that even before it was difficult for us to compete with the way the field was on level. Now with NIL And the portal, it’s even worse.

That said, I don’t get an ambivalence to a program.

Wouldn’t it just be easier for you to be a Tiger fan and frequent Tiger droppings rather than this board?

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    So they are offering tuition to a kid without telling the head coach? It all starts and ends with the head coach. These donors are just setting up LLCs to sponsor whatever kid the coach tells them is high priority.
    Of course the school knows. But, I don't think the school can de directly involved in setting up or paying the NIL.

Also, with the two players in question. They could be testing the waters without any direct involvement from Napier. If they don't get what they want, they can always withdraw from the portal and remain here. It's what the Brennan kid did at LSU after Johnson left.

The point is, we don't know what, if any, involvement Napier has had to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    Im talking about kids already under scholarship, like Torrence and Garner.

How many times over the years has a coach changed jobs and a player decides he wants to continue to play for that coach?

Add immediate eligibility and whatever NIL might be involved and this doesn't surprise me one bit.

I have no problem with Billy if they wound up at Florida. Welcome to the new world of college sports. If you have one that's really good, someone will give him advice he needs to go to a bigger school (see: Cedric Russell). It works for football as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    How many times over the years has a coach changed jobs and a player decides he wants to continue to play for that coach?

Add immediate eligibility and whatever NIL might be involved and this doesn't surprise me one bit.

I have no problem with Billy if they wound up at Florida. Welcome to the new world of college sports. If you have one that's really good, someone will give him advice he needs to go to a bigger school (see: Cedric Russell). It works for football as well.
    And Cedric has said it was a mistake.

13. Default Re: Transfer Portal

BOOM

14. Default Re: Transfer Portal

Im talking about kids already under scholarship, like Torrence and Garner.
    Once they enter the portal that does not matter . . .

This.

Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information