Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Portal

Default Re: Players Entering the portal

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    And, how do we know that Napier approached the players, either directly or indirectly. It is just as possible that the players realize they can immediately make good money, play for a major P5 program, and under a coach that they know and respect.

And, that's even if they sign with Florida. We don't know anything at this moment, except that college football is changing and will never be as it once was.
    Not sure of anything but there was a strong rumor when Napier was announced as the new HC that Garner was going with him.

2. Default Re: Transfer Portal

I love how most are just ignoring the fact that it is ILLEGAL and an NCAA violation, per the NIL governing documents, to recruit players signed to scholarship at other programs via NIL deals.

Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    I believe that, for all practical purposes, with NIL, scholarship limits will be a moot point. Example:

Billy Bob Gator, owner of Billy Bob's Used Car Dealership in Podunck, FL, approaches 5 star athlete Joe B. Cool, and tells him, "Joe B., I'd like you to use your pictures and endorsement for my advertising, and I will pay you $75,000 a year. But, as part of your contract, you must attend the University of ______. I will of course pay your tuition and school expenses in addition to the $75,000, and, of course, you'll have plenty of time off to take care of your football activities.

University of ______ has a 5 star recruit and has not used a scholly.
    I'm hoping Cajun T can come on and add some context to this because I'm still struggling to see why people view this as an NIL deal. NIL is not between you and the university. It's about your ability to sell your image or likeness to promote products from outside vendors. I'm not sure how Torrence would benefit more by going to Florida where he is not known there as some way for him to make more money.

I think some of you are taking a very naïve views about the NIL legislation. The number one cornerback got a $1MM endorsement deal from barstool sports to go to Jackson State. There isn't a universe where Jackson State makes him a bigger commodity than Florida State, but Barstool pushed him there because of its relationship to Deion. The third parties giving money are going to tie that money to an athlete's attendance at a certain institution (for the most part). There will be some legit NIL deals like McCall got at CCU.

We can either gripe or figure out how to compete. What Des needs to do now (and what I'm sure he and his staff have been doing) is to find replacements in the portal to offset the losses.

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    I think some of you are taking a very naïve views about the NIL legislation. The number one cornerback got a $1MM endorsement deal from barstool sports to go to Jackson State. There isn't a universe where Jackson State makes him a bigger commodity than Florida State, but Barstool pushed him there because of its relationship to Deion. The third parties giving money are going to tie that money to an athlete's attendance at a certain institution (for the most part). There will be some legit NIL deals like McCall got at CCU.

We can either gripe or figure out how to compete. What Des needs to do now (and what I'm sure he and his staff have been doing) is to find replacements in the portal to offset the losses.
    Slappy, if you are speaking of naive, go back and read that story. He is NOT getting a deal from Barstool or if he does somewhere down the line, it was not done prior to him going to JSU.

https://news.yahoo.com/source-travis...005654316.html

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I'm hoping Cajun T can come on and add some context to this because I'm still struggling to see why people view this as an NIL deal. NIL is not between you and the university. It's about your ability to sell your image or likeness to promote products from outside vendors. I'm not sure how Torrence would benefit more by going to Florida where he is not known there as some way for him to make more money.
    NIL at SEC schools is more like a pool of money raised for Napier to spend on paying any recruits he wants. They don't care if the kid is known or not, they are giving money to make the program win. TAMU supposedly spent between 25-30m on signing day last month to get the number 1 class in the country.

I'm not sure how Torrence would benefit more by going to Florida where he is not known there as some way for him to make more money.
    There's alot more people and money willing to pay a guy to make sure he plays for their preferred SEC school than there are people and money willing to pay a guy to make sure he plays for their preferred Sunbelt school.

Sixteen OL-men at Texas are now going to get paid $50k each so they can be headlined for certain charities. I know we want to think that our program now recognizable and a draw, even if locally, but no one in the Acadiana area is going to offer sixteen linemen (offense or defense) that same deal.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    NIL at SEC schools is more like a pool of money raised for Napier to spend on paying any recruits he wants. They don't care if the kid is known or not, they are giving money to make the program win. TAMU supposedly spent between 25-30m on signing day last month to get the number 1 class in the country.
    I'm not trying to argue but I read up on it a bit more. Napier can't pay anybody. The university can't pay anybody direct but it seems that the larger schools may be involved in setting up deals and letting the the players and vendor work it out on their end. Kind of like a brokerage.

Slappy, if you are speaking of naive, go back and read that story. He is NOT getting a deal from Barstool or if he does somewhere down the line, it was not done prior to him going to JSU.

https://news.yahoo.com/source-travis...005654316.html
    Right . . . . He was just committed to Florida State for awhile and decided on signing day that Jackson State was a better fit.

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    Right . . . . He was just committed to Florida State for awhile and decided on signing day that Jackson State was a better fit.
    It's a weird signing. No doubt. However, it appears he decided to go to JSU to be coached by the greatest CB ever? I'm sure he will get plenty of NIL opportunities but I was just trying to show that he wasn't going to JSU on some sort of prearranged NIL deal.

NIL will not ruin college football but it will make the product on the field worse and the sport less interesting. Just like HS to the the pros and one/done hugely affected college basketballs popularity, these changes will only benefit a few teams and diminish fan interest over time.
    As for our situation I see this as a back breaker for building a program. Let’s take Torrence for example…he goes from a “project” prospect to a superstar in 3years. He is now widely considered an NFL talent who could get a high draft grade. Now when he gets drafted it will say Florida next to his name. Another way we lose out on marketing our team and school.

I know some will say, this is best for the players…and it probably is, but this is not good for college football. We already have a free agent league in the nfl which puts on a much better product and has superior players. Why invest time and money into something so blatantly flawed and extremely watered down?

12. Default Re: Transfer Portal

I'm not trying to argue but I read up on it a bit more. Napier can't pay anybody. The university can't pay anybody direct but it seems that the larger schools may be involved in setting up deals and letting the the players and vendor work it out on their end. Kind of like a brokerage.
    Brokerage is the perfect word.

Your being naive. The head coach tells the vendor who they want and then the vendor will talk to the player. But the head coach is calling the shots.

Default Re: Players Entering the portal

Not sure of anything but there was a strong rumor when Napier was announced as the new HC that Garner was going with him.
    It was on the Florida fan board the day after Napier was announced as a the new HC. Coincidence? I doubt it, but suspicion is not proof.

15. Default Re: Players Entering the portal

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    LoL! Youre completely missing the point.
    I hope you’re right.

Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information