Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst . 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 33 . LastLast

Thread: Transfer Portal

1. Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Don't think academics is at the forefront of their decision.
    …Oh I understand, but can they come in when they want or even Summer or Fall……when is he introduced, what about practice? Lot of questions Slick!

Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    There’s a ton of grey area and I believe the laws vary state to state. That might be why Virginia is super open about it.

You can’t pay to play or use NIL deals to recruit players to your school. But that basically what happens. At least it sounds like it.

The interesting thing is the fair market stuff. Still sounds subjective, but a booster can’t pay a player 100,000 for an appearance at a nightclub or 30 second commercial. But you can get 10,000 per appearance or commercial and do that in the span of a few days. Who decides on “fair market?”
    The advertiser footing the bill decides fair market… it is flat out what are you willing to pay!

There’s a ton of grey area and I believe the laws vary state to state. That might be why Virginia is super open about it.

You can’t pay to play or use NIL deals to recruit players to your school. But that basically what happens. At least it sounds like it.

The interesting thing is the fair market stuff. Still sounds subjective, but a booster can’t pay a player 100,000 for an appearance at a nightclub or 30 second commercial. But you can get 10,000 per appearance or commercial and do that in the span of a few days. Who decides on “fair market?”
    The law in each state has nothing to do with whether a kid is eligible to play. They can pay all they want but if the NCAA says the kids is ineligible then they can’t play. A booster for Eastern Michigan is publicly offering Caleb Williams 1 million to sign with EMU. The NCAA needs to get out in front of this before they have to rule most of the star players ineligible.

4. Default Re: Transfer Portal

Fair market is whatever two or more decide it is.

5. Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    The law in each state has nothing to do with whether a kid is eligible to play. They can pay all they want but if the NCAA says the kids is ineligible then they can’t play. A booster for Eastern Michigan is publicly offering Caleb Williams 1 million to sign with EMU. The NCAA needs to get out in front of this before they have to rule most of the star players ineligible.
    I’m pretty sure when and if the NCAA gets involved it’s going to be going forward, not retro without prior rules and guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Yes, but what you need to look at is how much did they play. Were they in the rotation, and how many games have they participated in since they have signed? A number of these athletes have washed out, regardless of the ratings coming out of HS. Usually a coaching staff will only take a young player under those circumstances if they recruited him and know his background. Many of these athletes right now won't help this program.
    T, understood. Was just pointing out that more players are showing up daily. It doesn’t mean they are the right fit, but at least the pipeline isn’t diminishing, for now.

You are correct. They can't directly use NIL to recruit players, but look what Texas Longhorns are doing:

Boosters set up a program called "The Pancake Factory" which will pay offensive lineman on scholarship $50,000 a year. They are not targeting any certain recruit, but the word is out that "if you sign a scholarship to play o-line at Texas, you will get $50,000."

The program was set up as the first "charitable NIL entity" and the players will perform charity work for yet-to-be-disclosed charities. The organization said it hopes to expand the program to other football position groups and Longhorns athletes in the future.

SOURCE: https://www.espn.com/college-footbal.ritable-causes

SOURCE: https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/.-in-nil-system

Bailey is in the portal.

9. Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    Bailey is in the portal.
    Okay, now I pizzed.

____ this BS!!!!! I can’t take it!

Bailey is in the portal.
    I don't even care anymore.this has gotten ridiculous. I'm just gonna show up on Sept. 3rd and whoever is still on the damn team that is who I will pull for.

12. Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCajun View Post
    I don't even care anymore.this has gotten ridiculous. I'm just gonna show up on Sept. 3rd and whoever is still on the damn team that is who I will pull for.
    As will I.

Bailey is in the portal.
    Give LL his MVP on the way out please.

Bailey is in the portal.
    Welp better start stocking up on booze going to be a long time before another winning season.

Jabbar Juluke

Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst . 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 33 . LastLast

Thread Information