Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst . 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 . LastLast

Thread: Transfer Portal

Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Maybe Billy will pull Marlin from the transfer portal
    Yes please

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    I don't understand why people keep comparing jobs to college athletes. Apples and oranges.
    I definitely think their are similarities.

A college athlete has 5 years to capitalize on their abilities, whether that capitalization is based on future professional opportunities, or the best life experience possible (playing in front of sell out crowds, improving chance to receive a "better" education, better networking opportunities, etc).

Working people have X number of years to capitalize on their future so they can retire early, provide for their families, etc.

A silver lining to all of this is there will be no pressure on CMD to repeat the dream season. The SBC board is practically giddy. They think we’re done.

We have the advantage

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    You go to college for a "future" payday. Not a temporary one.

Quality athletes need playing time more than anything.

NFL vs $50G
    Turbine, what if a player from UL doesn't get excited to run out of our tunnel when theres only 20k fans in the stand, on a good day?

What if he's looking for lifetime memory of running out of a tunnel to 70,000+ fans screaming and the opportunity to play on prime time slots?

While future paydays are certainly a common denominator, it's not always about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Maybe Billy will pull Marlin from the transfer portal
    You think basketball is bad now? The NIL deal is going to make this year’s transfer portal make last year’s look like church. Even a cool million spreads a whole lot nicer across a roster in MBB than FB. Watch KU and the MBB blue bloods this spring.

Default Re: Torrence

I spent about nine hours on the road today. Listened to a lot of sports talk on ESPNU. They talked a lot about the transfer portal and NIL. This is happening across the country. Just look at Oklahoma. They lost both of their top quarterbacks already. The new head coach just pilfered the defensive line coach from Clemson. It’s not just us obviously. Not asking anyone to get over it, but sadly this is just the beginning. The only thing we can worry about now is taking care of the players who want to be here and be a Cajun.

Default Re: Torrence

Quote Originally Posted by shof View Post
    I spent about nine hours on the road today. Listened to a lot of sports talk on ESPNU. They talked a lot about the transfer portal and NIL. This is happening across the country. Just look at Oklahoma. They lost both of their top quarterbacks already. The new head coach just pilfered the defensive line coach from Clemson. It’s not just us obviously. Not asking anyone to get over it, but sadly this is just the beginning. The only thing we can worry about now is taking care of the players who want to be here and be a Cajun.
    This^^^^. Louisiana State hemorrhaging players so much so they had to take a receiver and make him a QB for tonight.

It’s nothing new, just the portal makes it easier.

Des is the HC. I’m ok with Maggard’s pick. The bright side he can get his guys in quicker. I expect him to deliver. And no, not cutting any slack a few years from now if he doesn’t. But I expect he will.

Be mad at Napier all you want. The bar has been set. It’s up to Des to match or exceed.

8. Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    Turbine, what if a player from UL doesn't get excited to run out of our tunnel when theres only 20k fans in the stand, on a good day?

What if he's looking for lifetime memory of running out of a tunnel to 70,000+ fans screaming and the opportunity to play on prime time slots?

While future paydays are certainly a common denominator, it's not always about that.
    If running out of the tunnel to a noisy crowd and then sitting quietly on the bench for 3 hours is his goal I agree with you.

That is where his career will end. With tunnel vision.

If playing at the next level is his goal, he needs to quit listening to the noise in his head and play somewhere that isn't a talent graveyard.

jmo

9. Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    A silver lining to all of this is there will be no pressure on CMD to repeat the dream season. The SBC board is practically giddy. They think we’re done.

We have the advantage
    The SBC fans can’t be too giddy. If your team is totally intact they’re not necessarily loyal, just not wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    If running out of the tunnel to a noisy crowd and then sitting quietly on the bench for 3 hours is his goal I agree with you.

That is where his career will end. With tunnel vision.

If playing at the next level is his goal, he needs to quit listening to the noise in his head and play somewhere that isn't a talent graveyard.

jmo
    Roughly 6-7% of players eligible get drafted in a given year and almost half of those
    Get cut. Most college players deep down know they have zero chance at the league.

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    $$$$$$$$$
    That’s it in a nutshell.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post

Then the player should have never signed at UL. I’m sure he saw on his recruiting trip that there wasn’t 70k in the stadium. It’s not like he didn’t know what he was signing up for when he signed.

Quote Originally Posted by shof View Post
    That’s it in a nutshell.
    Money makes folks move. Always has, always will.

14. Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Then the player should have never signed at UL. I’m sure he saw on his recruiting trip that there wasn’t 70k in the stadium. It’s not like he didn’t know what he was signing up for when he signed.
    Can’t blame the people who aren’t fans. But if you enjoy football and go to some UL games you should get to more in order to enhance your enjoyment of the games. Fans provide most of game day atmosphere. Pointless to complain about atmosphere if you miss most games. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post

We have the advantage
    I moseyed over to the Sunbelt board after reading this but I didn’t get the sense they were giddy at our situation. I mean there are always a couple of beach chicken fans making comments but that’s just par for the course.

I got the sense from the west teams they might have a chance, but other than that most posts seemed to make the point that it sucks for us and a form of sympathy for us.

Maybe I just read it differently, I didn’t see much pointing and laughing.

Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst . 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 . LastLast

Thread Information