Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nathan Nelson -Hotshot Softball

UL Softball Nathan Nelson -Hotshot Softball

Nathan was voted the #6 best softball travel coach in the country. Good read below, enjoy.

Nathan Nelson (Hotshots Premier – Nelson)
    The passion is evident: talk to Coach Nathan Nelson about his players and what they mean to him and don’t be surprised if he becomes emotional. The game and the responsibilities he feels to develop those over whom he has stewardship is something the coach takes very seriously—and therefore takes a lot of pride in. The numbers demonstrate the successful results he’s had both on and off the field. In his career, Coach Nelson has won 10 national championships including three at PGF Nationals with the most recent being this year, a 7-0 run at 16U capped by a finale win over a strong Mojo – Fisher team. Also in 2021, the Hotshots finished Top 5 in the rained out Top Club Invite or could have possibly had another trophy added to its case. Despite all the wins, however, Nelson—who played baseball at Louisiana and later in the Houston Astros organization—says it’s the people that makes his coaching role so rewarding: “Building the relationships with the players on and off the field and being able to help them grow as people and athletes is my favorite part of coaching. Watching them play at the next level is priceless and it’s all for the love of the game!” Coach James Lamar, himself in the Top 10 of these club coach rankings, says: “Nathan will always compete no matter what and he will be in the finals every year because he gets the most out of his kids.” Steven Jones, who recently rejoined the Hotshots organization after being with the program previously, is also a big fan of Nelson and his love of the game and his players. “The results speak for themselves and Coach Nelson has consistently produced great results. Not just as a coach of a team who has won multiple national, regional and local titles year after year but also as an organizational head of an program that continues to produce high level successful teams and players. The player and their development is of such huge importance to me that Coach Nelson’s proven excellence in that area was probably the primary factor for my team to return to the Hotshots organization. What he has done with the athletes on his team and in the org and how he has continued to mature and adapt is impressive.”

Default Re: Nathan Nelson -Hotshot Softball

He was a great player for the Cajuns. Loved his attitude as a Cajun player.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunchuck View Post
    He was a great player for the Cajuns. Loved his attitude as a Cajun player.
    A great teammate and natural leader who played with his hair on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    A great teammate and natural leader who played with his hair on fire.
    Was this guy hired by UL?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    Was this guy hired by UL?
    No he played baseball at UL and was on the 2000 CWS team. He runs the Hotshots travelball program out of Houston. We have got some players from his organization the last few years and a few for the 23 class. He might end up being a feeder system to UL. His VP of operations is Mel Dumezich who played for Coach Glasco at A&M.

6. UL Softball Re: Nathan Nelson -Hotshot Softball

No he played baseball at UL and was on the 2000 CWS team. He runs the Hotshots travelball program out of Houston. We have got some players from his organization the last few years and a few for the 23 class. He might end up being a feeder system to UL. His VP of operations is Mel Dumezich who played for Coach Glasco at A&M.
    That’s probably information that you might have listed on your initial post. Not everyone knows that, or remembers some people from the turn of the century.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    That’s probably information that you might have listed on your initial post. Not everyone knows that, or remembers some people from the turn of the century.
    Kind of hard to be a fan and not know who Nathan Nelson is.

8. Default Re: Nathan Nelson -Hotshot Softball

There is a difference between being fans of a team and fans of a sport.

Fans of as team mahave no clue who Nathan Nelson is.

I feel like I've heard the name but I couldn't have told you who he is.

I remember Nathan. I just didnt know if he was someone we were hiring. Especially after Robichaux is coaching softball now too.

10. Default Re: Nathan Nelson -Hotshot Softball

Kind of hard to be a fan and not know who Nathan Nelson is.
    Don’t agree. I forget many over time until I review some of the teams, and players. Additionally being a fan of the university teams doesn’t have a litmus test. Of course you’re absolutely right in posting whatever and however you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Don’t agree. I forget many over time until I review some of the teams, and players. Additionally being a fan of the university teams doesn’t have a litmus test. Of course you’re absolutely right in posting whatever and however you choose.
    Hard to forget a player like Nelson.

12. Default Re: Nathan Nelson -Hotshot Softball

We might need a Nathan Nelson moment with the team. In 2000 after we lost a game some of the players were playing loud music in the locker room and Nelson went ape ____ on the team. Nelson was a bona fide alpha who stepped the ____ up and made everyone accountable and got everyone serious and on the same page. This team needs some leadership and for someone to take charge now. Talent alone will not get anyone to the WCWS.
    I kept thinking I was supposed to remember a NN from UL softball, then this post above from JMV cleared it up for me.

13. Default Re: Nathan Nelson -Hotshot Softball

The Hot Shots, a Travel Ball Softball team, is run by an Alumnus of UL, Nathan Nelson. There are many Hot Shot teams, probably two for each age group, 10 Under, 12 Under, 14 Under, 16 Under and 18 Under. It is a BIG deal. Generates lots of money. I read one article by a Travel Ball Softball parent who thinks he potentially spent $85K on Travel Ball since his daughter joined in 16 Under. Being a good softball player can get you a free college education. Parents think it is worth the money and time they spend.

Being on a high school team isn't "cutting it" anymore. Eye opening, huh?

There are folks on RP [myself included] who do not closely follow Louisiana baseball. I would expect that many of them had to look up Nate Nelson to find out who he was.

Nathan was voted the #6 best softball travel coach in the country. Good read below, enjoy.

Nathan Nelson (Hotshots Premier – Nelson)
    The passion is evident: talk to Coach Nathan Nelson about his players and what they mean to him and don’t be surprised if he becomes emotional. The game and the responsibilities he feels to develop those over whom he has stewardship is something the coach takes very seriously—and therefore takes a lot of pride in. The numbers demonstrate the successful results he’s had both on and off the field. In his career, Coach Nelson has won 10 national championships including three at PGF Nationals with the most recent being this year, a 7-0 run at 16U capped by a finale win over a strong Mojo – Fisher team. Also in 2021, the Hotshots finished Top 5 in the rained out Top Club Invite or could have possibly had another trophy added to its case. Despite all the wins, however, Nelson—who played baseball at Louisiana and later in the Houston Astros organization—says it’s the people that makes his coaching role so rewarding: “Building the relationships with the players on and off the field and being able to help them grow as people and athletes is my favorite part of coaching. Watching them play at the next level is priceless and it’s all for the love of the game!” Coach James Lamar, himself in the Top 10 of these club coach rankings, says: “Nathan will always compete no matter what and he will be in the finals every year because he gets the most out of his kids.” Steven Jones, who recently rejoined the Hotshots organization after being with the program previously, is also a big fan of Nelson and his love of the game and his players. “The results speak for themselves and Coach Nelson has consistently produced great results. Not just as a coach of a team who has won multiple national, regional and local titles year after year but also as an organizational head of an program that continues to produce high level successful teams and players. The player and their development is of such huge importance to me that Coach Nelson’s proven excellence in that area was probably the primary factor for my team to return to the Hotshots organization. What he has done with the athletes on his team and in the org and how he has continued to mature and adapt is impressive.”
    They rank travel softball coaches? lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information