Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Fair catch play

Default Re: Fair catch play

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    I truly do not think he saw the fair catch signal. If that is the case it should completely change the analysis of some here. Until I am told different by the player, I’m going with that scenario.
    I don't think we'll ever know the truth (and it doesn't really matter).but he was about 10 yards away from the returner when the fair catch was signaled, with no blockers in between. Clear line of sight. If he wasn't looking at the returner making the fair catch call, I don't know where he possibly could have been looking.

His momentum from his initial running pace was taking him to the left of the returner. Then the returner quickly moved that way to catch the ball. Instincts kicked in and he lowered his shoulder with the ball carrier now in his path.

Wasn't great. Wasn't dirty either.

2. Default Re: Fair catch play

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc.7&action=click

I’m not sure he does not have the two yards distance before the catch is made also . . .
    check out the picture. Player does not have the ball and he is inside the 2 yards already.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by billbeck451 View Post
    I never saw him wave his arm even on the replay, and he was making a football move of starting to run, our player didnt lead with his head and gave a clear hard hit, but it was a spark that fire up the team. I'm not sure if Marshall made another first down after that call.

Overall, the refs were horrible ( I don't know which division they were from) and seeing how chippy the game got, I say that we are going to have another team in the conference that plays dirty ball in the trenches
    He clearly waved his arm.

4. Default Re: Fair catch play

Quote Originally Posted by billbeck451 View Post
    I never saw him wave his arm even on the replay, and he was making a football move of starting to run, our player didnt lead with his head and gave a clear hard hit, but it was a spark that fire up the team. I'm not sure if Marshall made another first down after that call.

Overall, the refs were horrible ( I don't know which division they were from) and seeing how chippy the game got, I say that we are going to have another team in the conference that plays dirty ball in the trenches
    I thought they mentioned that they were MWC officials, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    check out the picture. Player does not have the ball and he is inside the 2 yards already.
    This is also a pretty clear illustration of how the returners motion played into this. You can take a good guess from this picture about where the defender's line of motion was. But half a second earlier, the returner would have been a step or two further to the right in this picture. Those paths weren't going to cross until the returner moved.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    He clearly waved his arm.
    Last edited by Go_UL; December 20th, 2021 at 09:07 am. Reason: spelling

7. Default Re: Fair catch play

This picture shows William clearly over two yards. Williams is off to the left of him so distance is further than the yard markers show.

Correct. There was no wave. Just a quick windmill motion.

9. Default Re: Fair catch play

I could not get it any closer but again receiver does not have the ball. Wilson gets 2 more steps in before the hit. He was inside the 2 yards when he catches the ball. I don’t think that was debatable.

One play won’t define this game. At least for us. Some Marshall fans are hanging on to it and saying we’re a dirty team. I don’t think a thing could be further from the truth. If anything, we are disciplined. Our guy just made a mistake. Let it go.

11. Default Re: Fair catch play

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    One play won’t define this game. At least for us. Some Marshall fans are hanging on to it and saying we’re a dirty team. I don’t think a thing could be further from the truth. If anything, we are disciplined. Our guy just made a mistake. Let it go.
    I agree with this. We were not dirty, the play was questionable dirty, but as a team we have not played dirty all year and did not in this game either. The game was extremely chippy on both sides.

Dude, he clearly made a FC motion, they showed it over and over on the TV replay. It was a clear Fair Catch. I don't care if he started to run, the FC was called for. Mike Golic JR almost lost his mind after they showed it the 2nd time. It wasn't like it was a questionable call if he raised his hand, he had it up and was waving it.
    I think what we don't see is if his vision was obstructed while running down the sideline as a gunner and engaging a blocker. It was unfortunate and it was definitely targeting, but this has been a bit overblown.

If anyone hasn't seen, there is a video of a Marshall offensive lineman kicking Bralen Trahan in the head after he was tackled on the interception. And then there was the play in the fourth quarter where Chauncey Manac was punched in the ribs by another offensive lineman and went down.

The game got a little chippy and the officials should have done a better job of squashing this type of behavior.

RaginDave, I think it’s time to change your avatar again. The picture looks like a guy who knows absolutely nothing about football & that’s definately not you!!!

14. Default Re: Fair catch play

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I think what we don't see is if his vision was obstructed while running down the sideline as a gunner and engaging a blocker. It was unfortunate and it was definitely targeting, but this has been a bit overblown.

If anyone hasn't seen, there is a video of a Marshall offensive lineman kicking Bralen Trahan in the head after he was tackled on the interception. And then there was the play in the fourth quarter where Chauncey Manac was punched in the ribs by another offensive lineman and went down.

The game got a little chippy and the officials should have done a better job of squashing this type of behavior.
    I did see the kick. that was F'd up. I did not see the punch, but like you said this game was chippy.

I do agree this play is being overblown, my point was it was a penalty, we were in the wrong and it looked bad on TV. After everything has been discussed it was made more of a big deal that it actually was. But definitely a penalty and targeting were correct.

15. Default Re: Fair catch play

I agree with your stance.

However he wasn't quite that close (in the picture)

2 yards vertical by three yards horizontal is roughly three and a half yards diagonal.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information