Page 6 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 New Orleans Bowl: LOUISIANA (36) MARSHALL (21)

Default Re: New Orleans bowl vs. Marshall

Let me try to explain our destination.

We have the five bowl tie ins (NO, Myrtle, Camellia, Lending Tree, Cure) In addition, the ESPN pool of bowls they own come into play. Those are Boca Raton, Idaho Potato, New Mexico, First Responder and Frisco.

The picking order is ESPN, NO, ESPN, ESPN, Lending Tree. However, there are years (once every three I think but don't quote me) when New Orleans can invoke a clause that gives them the first pick, which they did this year.

Without the clause, we'd probably still be in NO, although they could have matched us with UTSA in the Frisco Bowl (where the Roadrunners will play San Diego State.)

As far as our opponent is concerned, once UAB was placed in the Independence and UTSA in the Frisco, that left WKU and Marshall as the next strongest teams (UTSA, as champion, got to select the bowl they preferred.)

WKU would have been an interesting matchup, as their quarterback Bailey Zappe has thrown for 54 touchdowns this year (that isn't a misprint) and still has an outside chance at Joe Burrow's record.

As of 10am yesterday, our opponent still had not been determined. It was finally decided that Marshall would come to NO, while WKU went to Boca Raton. And, App State was selected to play the Hilltoppers.

I agree with the Marshall fan who posted here, I think the Herd is a better team than WKU. (And, can you imagine if WKU was in NO, how long that damn game would last with a gazillion passes thrown?)

We complained last year about UTSA being our opponent and it turned out to be a great game. Hopefully this will be the same.

Dr. Maggard was all for New Orleans since it's been five years since we've played there. And, NO Bowl has a good reputation for the way they run their bowl game. Dr. Maggard wanted to give Cajun fans the best opportunity to see the team play.

Hey, it could be worse. We could be Georgia State who is playing in the Camellia Bowl.....on Christmas Day.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post

We have the five bowl tie ins (NO, Myrtle, Camellia, Lending Tree, Cure) In addition, the ESPN pool of bowls they own come into play. Those are Boca Raton, Idaho Potato, New Mexico, First Responder and Frisco.

The picking order is ESPN, NO, ESPN, ESPN, Lending Tree. However, there are years (once every three I think but don't quote me) when New Orleans can invoke a clause that gives them the first pick, which they did this year.

Without the clause, we'd probably still be in NO, although they could have matched us with UTSA in the Frisco Bowl (where the Roadrunners will play San Diego State.)

As far as our opponent is concerned, once UAB was placed in the Independence and UTSA in the Frisco, that left WKU and Marshall as the next strongest teams (UTSA, as champion, got to select the bowl they preferred.)

WKU would have been an interesting matchup, as their quarterback Bailey Zappe has thrown for 54 touchdowns this year (that isn't a misprint) and still has an outside chance at Joe Burrow's record.

As of 10am yesterday, our opponent still had not been determined. It was finally decided that Marshall would come to NO, while WKU went to Boca Raton. And, App State was selected to play the Hilltoppers.

I agree with the Marshall fan who posted here, I think the Herd is a better team than WKU. (And, can you imagine if WKU was in NO, how long that damn game would last with a gazillion passes thrown?)

We complained last year about UTSA being our opponent and it turned out to be a great game. Hopefully this will be the same.

Dr. Maggard was all for New Orleans since it's been five years since we've played there. And, NO Bowl has a good reputation for the way they run their bowl game. Dr. Maggard wanted to give Cajun fans the best opportunity to see the team play.

Hey, it could be worse. We could be Georgia State who is playing in the Camellia Bowl.....on Christmas Day.
    Thanks. Pretty simple, huh?

3. Default Re: New Orleans bowl vs. Marshall

Thanks Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Herdfan702 View Post
    Hey guys. Marshall fan here. First off, looking forward to joining the SBC. Secondly, I share your disdain for this matchup. Winning the SBC, being 12-1 and being ranked #23, you guys deserve another ranked opponent. Should at least be playing our conference champ (UTSA) or at least another ranked opponent like UK or NC State. But, looks like it’s you against us. I will say, we are better than 7-5. We should have beat WKU (we were up going to the half when our starting qb got hurt). Then the wheels feel off. I think the game will be closer than most expect. We have a great freshman RB. He led the country with 2.0 TD’s. If our QB plays like he’s capable, we have a chance to make it a game. I’ve watched a couple ULL games this year. You guys will be a handful, to say the least. See you on the 18th.
    stay at the team hotel, Intercontinental is a great hotel and just far enough off of Bourbon to be calm and still close enough to walk everywhere, enjoy Jackson Square and the french market, buy some local are for Christmas presents and have a drink on Bourbon St. Just be careful and mindful of your surroundings as New Orleans has its problems just like all cities and if anyone asks you they can tell you where you got your shoes, dont fall for it

BTW....The Sheraton (across the street from the Marriott) is the team hotel.

https://www.neworleansbowl.org/travel-hotels

the team hotels from the NO Bowl web site this morning

Do we know if Louisiana is the home/visiting team?

I'm pretty sure I read we are on the visitor's side.

Jay, was it possible that UTSA could have played in the NOLA Bowl? Or were they assigned to the Frisco Bowl with no part in the decision-making process?

Unless I'm reading incorrectly, UTSA could have been in the NOLA Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    Jay, was it possible that UTSA could have played in the NOLA Bowl? Or were they assigned to the Frisco Bowl with no part in the decision-making process?

I read it the same as well. UTSA chose Frisco over NOLA. Maybe they didn’t want a rematch unless it was in their backyard again and not ours.

11. Default Re: New Orleans bowl vs. Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Herdfan702 View Post
    Hey guys. Marshall fan here. First off, looking forward to joining the SBC. Secondly, I share your disdain for this matchup. Winning the SBC, being 12-1 and being ranked #23, you guys deserve another ranked opponent. Should at least be playing our conference champ (UTSA) or at least another ranked opponent like UK or NC State. But, looks like it’s you against us. I will say, we are better than 7-5. We should have beat WKU (we were up going to the half when our starting qb got hurt). Then the wheels feel off. I think the game will be closer than most expect. We have a great freshman RB. He led the country with 2.0 TD’s. If our QB plays like he’s capable, we have a chance to make it a game. I’ve watched a couple ULL games this year. You guys will be a handful, to say the least. See you on the 18th.
    Welcome.

Lesson #1 - learn our name. Louisiana or UL. ULL is no longer in existence.

Lesson # 2: Cajun Nation is glad to have y’all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post

The Conference USA champ historically has been able to choose their bowl. I don't know that anything has changed in that regard.

BTW....The Sheraton (across the street from the Marriott) is the team hotel.
    Sharaton on Canal Street?? I'll pass.

Just an FYI to anyone who hasn't been to New Orleans of late:

Canal Street is pretty rough these days. Hopefully NOPD has it cleaned up for the holidays / bowl game.....

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    Sharaton on Canal Street?? I'll pass.

Just an FYI to anyone who hasn't been to New Orleans of late:

Canal Street is pretty rough these days. Hopefully NOPD has it cleaned up for the holidays / bowl game.....
    I’m sorry but your last comment had me spit out my coffee from busting out laughing.

I stayed at the Sheraton for SBC media days. It's a really nice hotel. And, I saw no issues whatsoever.

But hey, wherever you want to stay is up to you.

Geaux Cajuns

Page 6 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information