Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana is a "Tier One" School

Default Re: Tier "1" ACHIEVED

Super news

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    Lots of people on this board were angry and upset because Dr. Authement did not support athletics as many thought he should, but the fact is he was doing every thing he could to make this University the very best it could be academically, and put Dr. Savoie in a position to continue in that direction AND begin to focus on bringing our athletics up to the same high level.
    He actively tried to suffocate athletics to death. We’d have been DIII with no athletic scholarship if it were up to him. He told coaches certain academic donors were off limits to solicit athletic donations from. He refused to allow the formation of an athletic booster fund, something people in the community tried to do since the 80s.

It wasn’t that he just didn’t like athletics. He pretty much had a hostility towards it. That is not a trait a real university president should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    He actively tried to suffocate athletics to death. We’d have been DIII with no athletic scholarship if it were up to him. He told coaches certain academic donors were off limits to solicit athletic donations from. He refused to allow the formation of an athletic booster fund, something people in the community tried to do since the 80s.

It wasn’t that he just didn’t like athletics. He pretty much had a hostility towards it. That is not a trait a real university president should have.
    You are right in everything you wrote. One thing I would like to mention is that he became president right around the same time as our "death penalty" in basketball. Whether we liked it or not, he decided he was not going to let that happen again, in any sport, on his watch.

I'm not saying I liked it, because I didn't. But I can understand his view.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Tier "1" ACHIEVED

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    You are right in everything you wrote. One thing I would like to mention is that he became president right around the same time as our "death penalty" in basketball. Whether we liked it or not, he decided he was not going to let that happen again, in any sport, on his watch.

I'm not saying I liked it, because I didn't. But I can understand his view.
    Exactly right!! It had NOTHING to do with Dr. Authement hating or wanting to destroy athletics!!!

Bottom line: Dr. Authement stressed academic excellence at the University of Louisiana and had every right AND reason to do so.

#cULture

Exactly right!! It had NOTHING to do with Dr. Authement hating or wanting to destroy athletics!!!

Bottom line: Dr. Authement stressed academic excellence at the University of Louisiana and had every right AND reason to do so.

#cULture
    What if I told you he could have done both.promote the university academically AND athletically. They arent mutually exclusive. He didnt need to stifle us athletically to advance us academically.

Default Re: Louisiana is a "Tier One" School

He could have done both
    Good leaders should seek the best options, plans, and strategy -without regard to ego or whose ideas they might have been.
    He was one dimensional -would not listen to those who tried to explain that BOTH were possible -and to improve both was the best way forward for his academic goals.

#cULture
    T-Joe has shown you can do both. Athletics never better and achieved a goal long sought.

8. Default Re: Louisiana is a "Tier One" School

I had the opportunity to spend a half dozen afternoons with Authement at football practice.

The deepest discussion we ever had was who owned the Cajundome.

9. Default Re: Louisiana is a "Tier One" School

UL owning the Cajun Dome is like vacations at your Gulf Shores beach house on the Gulf side. You always take it in February because you can’t afford it, and rent it out for summer and holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post

I know as a former athlete your perspective was that he was hostile towards athletics. I think that is the wrong word. He viewed athletics as a side note to the University. He wasn't out to kill it but didn't view it as an investment either.

As far as fund raising I dealt with this first hand and it wasn't just athletics. It was absolutely insane how he and he alone approved or more often than not disapproved anyone associated with the University from seeking donations of any type. If there is anyone out there that ever had the conversation with him as to why I haven't heard it and I've talked to a lot of people through the years that experienced similar. Bottom line was that you better not seek any external funding sources without his explicit approval no matter if it was athletics or not.

11. Default Re: Louisiana is a "Tier One" School

Truer words ^^were never spoken.

12. Default Re: Tier "1" ACHIEVED

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    I know as a former athlete your perspective was that he was hostile towards athletics. I think that is the wrong word. He viewed athletics as a side note to the University. He wasn't out to kill it but didn't view it as an investment either.

As far as fund raising I dealt with this first hand and it wasn't just athletics. It was absolutely insane how he and he alone approved or more often than not disapproved anyone associated with the University from seeking donations of any type. If there is anyone out there that ever had the conversation with him as to why I haven't heard it and I've talked to a lot of people through the years that experienced similar. Bottom line was that you better not seek any external funding sources without his explicit approval no matter if it was athletics or not.
    Steve Gossen broke the barrier and. secured a $1,000,000 dollar donation.

Authement did not turn it down, but also did not crack an appreciation smile at the 50-yard line presentation.

13. Default Re: Louisiana is a "Tier One" School

The general subject of RA may be similar to LL over here. Mind made up no matter the angle . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post

I agree with CajunRunner. Vobserver had to raise money on his own just to get new hurdles purchased. About 15 years ago the head track coach at UL was making around $25K a year. C4L also qualified for the Ncaa's and the school couldn't/didn't pay for him to represent the school. Vobserver had to front the money.

Default Re: Louisiana is a "Tier One" School

My man!!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information