Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . LastLast

Thread: Louisiana is a "Tier One" School

Default Re: Louisiana achieves Carnegie’s prestigious R1 designation

Honest question. Have either the Advertiser or Acadian Advocate covered this?

Proud day, congrats to all alums and especially those who made it happen. Thanks!

I’m too am still 1) in a state of disbelief and awe that I lived long enough to see this happen, and 2) am just so damn proud of us, from Dr. Savoie and everyone else involved in this accomplishment.

I just hope that they have some some kind of public setting that we can all show up and show our appreciation of them getting this done.

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    Honest question. Have either the Advertiser or Acadian Advocate covered this?
    I saw a small article on The Advocate. Nothing in The Advertiser.

Default Re: Carnegie R1 Status

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    If anyone has a BBB account, here is a great place to drop it.

http://www.latechbbb.com/forum/showt.ws-Enforcement
    GEAUX UL posted in this thread this morning. Post #9:

What I think your university's president realizes that people on a message board don't is that it doesn't help anyone to expend effort being petty and tearing down other universities. Whining about what we call ourselves on the football field doesn't make La Tech or any other UL school a better university. This is a lesson your athletic department is having to learn the hard way after it spent years trying to screw over in-state and Sun Belt athletic programs thinking it would somehow elevate La Tech.

Since y'all seem to be taking an interest in us, y'all might want to know that we officially became a "Tier One" school according to the Carnegie Classifications which puts us in a category with all of the top national research universities. This is a big feather in our cap and it will open up a lot of opportunities for us to further improve and better ourselves. It turns out that it doesn't matter what anyone calls you as long as you put in the work.

https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana.4c4b2253b.html

Default Re: WELL WELL WELL!!!! LOUISIANA'S R1 STATUS RECOGNIZED!!!

Still waiting on John Bel Edwards to recognize UL on R1.

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    I believe the two biggest impediment will be the athletic budget and the amount of fan support, especially for football games. Obviously all Juan status takes care of the academic qualifications and the stadium renovation should take care of the facilities question
    Yes, attaining "all juan" status means a lot in the latino community as well

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    Yes, attaining "all juan" status means a lot in the latino community as well
    Tough crowd!!!!

9. Default R1 Status = Higher admission criteria & Tuition??

Will our new R1 status allow UL to raise their admission criteria as well as tuition? Anyone have insight?

10. Default Re: R1 Status = Higher admission criteria & Tuition??

Not sure how much autonomy the university has in raising the entrance standards. Is it possible? Maybe a little.

Default Re: R1 Status = Higher admission criteria & Tuition??

Quote Originally Posted by OrlandeauxCajun View Post
    Will our new R1 status allow UL to raise their admission criteria as well as tuition? Anyone have insight?
    No school other than LSU is allowed to raise tuition without legislative approval. University of Louisiana system schools can raise fees by up to 10%(?) without legislative approval. That is a significant distinction since the TOPS program covers tuition and not fees. For a Louisiana student who has earned TOPS it means that it cost less for them to attend LSU than it does for them to attend UL.

As far as admission criteria. Even the Ivy League has reduced their criteria. It would be political suicide to raise the admission criteria in the current environment. Like it or not politics are important in public higher education and upping admission criteria based on test scores and grades at this point would be asking for a lot of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    I saw a small article on The Advocate. Nothing in The Advertiser.
    Still nothing in the Advertiser.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Still nothing in the Advertiser.
    I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

Same newspaper that on Sunday morning, after the Conference Championship game, had NOTHING about the game. Zero.

There was an article about LSU and Brian Kelly looking to fill staff.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Tier "1" ACHIEVED

SO PROUD of everything OUR University has accomplished this year!! Now I don't know if anyone has mentioned him in this thread, yet, but special thanks needs to go out to former president Ray Authement and his administration. THEY are the ones who got the ball rolling for this University to achieve this Tier R1 academic status. Lots of people on this board were angry and upset because Dr. Authement did not support athletics as many thought he should, but the fact is he was doing every thing he could to make this University the very best it could be academically, and put Dr. Savoie in a position to continue in that direction AND begin to focus on bringing our athletics up to the same high level.

Dr. Ray Authement deserves to be recognized for what has happened in the last few months!!!

#cULture

15. UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Tier "1" ACHIEVED

By your thinking let’s get back to our first president.

https://www.louisiana.edu/about-us/history/presidents

He established a short list of presidents guiding this university.

Currently averaging over twenty years. Stability, and USL’ing this has been a great thing.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . LastLast

Thread Information