Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Happened to US?

Default What Happened to US?

Guys, just reflecting on the last 25 years that I've REALLY followed Cajuns football.We used to have BIG 12 teams at Cajun field every other year. Ok St. Texas Tech, A&M. We've had UCF, Alabama, Kansas St among others. Why can't we get anybody P-5 at Cajun Field anymore?

2. Default Re: What Happened to US?

Its not a universal situation, but Louisiana used to be independent.

Then they joined the Sunbelt.

Default Re: What Happened to US?

This again?

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    Guys, just reflecting on the last 25 years that I've REALLY followed Cajuns football.We used to have BIG 12 teams at Cajun field every other year. Ok St. Texas Tech, A&M. We've had UCF, Alabama, Kansas St among others. Why can't we get anybody P-5 at Cajun Field anymore?
    We beat A & M and Kansas State when they came to Cajun Field.

Now we are really good.
    P5's don't want to come here and get beat!

FAN, I'm just asking. I went to Ok.St. game at Cajun Field in (1997?) when Jamal Fobbs had an All-American day against the Cajuns.

6. Default Re: What Happened to US?

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    This again?
    He asked.

Right now UL can only offer 4 dates a year to travel to a P5, back then it was 12 or more.

Memphis 1993, 1996 (I know they aren't P-5, just saying.)
    A&M 1996
    Houston 1996, 2003
    Ok St. 1997, 2010
    UCF 1998, 2005
    Texas Tech 1999
    Minnesota 2002
    Kansas St. 2009

I'm watching the A&M game from 1996 on Youtube. I'd love a big time matchup at Cajun Field (AAC or P-5) with the team breaking out the Classic Cajuns unis.

9. Default Re: What Happened to US?

Assuming we open the new Stadium in the fall of 2023, do we know who the opponent will be? I'd hope Doc would be working on having a recognizable program to build peak interest in that particular game

10. UL Football Re: What Happened to US?

I believe that the bigger P5 programs were not as flush with cash, and were more willing to throw us a home bone instead of the cash. Can’t speak about UH UCF and and other G5 games.

Now they can fund the ladies out of petty cash box.

While I agree with the idea that we would never turn down a p-5 team agreement; I would focus on P-5s in our region. Arkansas, Baylor, A&M, Ole Miss, etc….get their fans over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    What happened? Media rights happened. The new SEC deal with ESPN will give each school $68 Million/yr. With that amount of money they don't need to slum it in the G5 stadiums anymore.

With that said, there are still plenty of G5s that still manage to get home and homes with P5s. Not often, but it happens. I don't know why we haven't.

As of now we only have one non conference home game scheduled for 2023 and that isn’t until mid October. It’ll be interesting to see what we can put together.

We aren't doing anymore 2 for 1. I understand the logic here because on years with only five home games suck and it's hard to have a winning season when you gotta play 7 games on the road. That being said the lower and mid P5 don't come for straight up home and home. That's why the Wyoming series was so disappointing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Its not a universal situation, but Louisiana used to be independent.

Then they joined the Sunbelt.
    We were actually in the sunbelt or big west for many of the afore mentioned games.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information