Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What Happened to US?

Default Re: What Happened to US?

Nothing happened to us. The landscape of college football change tremendously since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeaux View Post
    We aren't doing anymore 2 for 1. I understand the logic here because on years with only five home games suck and it's hard to have a winning season when you gotta play 7 games on the road. That being said the lower and mid P5 don't come for straight up home and home. That's why the Wyoming series was so disappointing to me.
    Rare to get a decent MWC OOC home gamewhy I too was very disappointed to give up the Wyoming games. Glad to play LTURd just not at the expense of losing our Wyoming games.

3. Default Re: What Happened to US?

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    We were actually in the sunbelt or big west for many of the afore mentioned games.
    Many of those games were scheduled while independant. After joining a conference UL would drop the less desirable games and keep the best deals.

Scheduling has gotten so lazy its not even funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    Guys, just reflecting on the last 25 years that I've REALLY followed Cajuns football.We used to have BIG 12 teams at Cajun field every other year. Ok St. Texas Tech, A&M. We've had UCF, Alabama, Kansas St among others. Why can't we get anybody P-5 at Cajun Field anymore?
    Because we are no longer an easy win at home. That's the easy answer and the other is Dr. Maggard doesn't like scheduling 2 for 1 with any program.

We joined the SunBelt in 2001 as a football member. So 5 of 12 of the games i listed were as SBC members.

Guys, just reflecting on the last 25 years that I've REALLY followed Cajuns football.We used to have BIG 12 teams at Cajun field every other year. Ok St. Texas Tech, A&M. We've had UCF, Alabama, Kansas St among others. Why can't we get anybody P-5 at Cajun Field anymore?
    Interesting question. Numerous post regarding the basketball schedule and not getting better home games. Several posters believe the lack of quality basketball games is due to the coach wanting to pad his wins. I think the answer to basketball and football lack of scheduling quality home games is the same for both--lack of money to purchase games. Our AD does not want to do 2-1 games. Where does the athletic dept take money away to allocate it to purchase home games in both sports? Keep in mind, big name opponents don't always equal large crowds--see the the top 10 crowds at Cajun Field and the dome

If our goal is to make an NY6 game, our scheduling is perfect. If our goal is to make the playoff, we need 2 P5 games per year.

Schedule accordingly.

The biggest obstacles to attractive home schedules are the TV and media contracts. Until those are changed, arguing about home schedules is pointless.

8. Default Re: What Happened to US?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    If our goal is to make an NY6 game, our scheduling is perfect. If our goal is to make the playoff, we need 2 P5 games per year.

Schedule accordingly.
    Cincy set it up perfectly this year. They had Indiana, a winnable P5 opponent and ND on their schedule both on the road. Indiana was down from the year before (something they could not have known going in) and the expectation was that ND would be pretty good (Top 10 - 15 team, they were better than that). They also scheduled 2 other very winnable games at home Miami of OH and Murray State (FCS). They also got some help by playing Houston a Top 25 team. The rest of their schedule (conference games) was really nothing to write home about, but they won every game as well as the 2 P5 opponents and the Top 25 team in Houston. They also got some help at the end of the season, I am not sure that if OSU would have won vs Baylor that their was a good chance the CFP committee would have left Cincy at home.

The saving grace for Cincy was beating #5 ND on the road, when it was all said and done, ND and Cincy had very similar resumes, but the committee was going to have a hard time bumping Cincy for a ND team they had beaten on the road with all things being equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Many of those games were scheduled while independant. After joining a conference UL would drop the less desirable games and keep the best deals.

Scheduling has gotten so lazy its not even funny.
    looking at the list in a previous thread 93 and the 2ks we were in a conference.

Okay fellas, I'm gonna reveal my true identity as the fan board idiot. What is all this about "money to purchase games"? Unless you're an FCS school or lower, and you know that this trip will be a painful @ss whooping; why do we need to put up money for you to come here? We're mutual FBS schools. Beat or get beaten. Explain this.

11. Default Re: What Happened to US?

Okay fellas, I'm gonna reveal my true identity as the fan board idiot. What is all this about "money to purchase games"? Unless you're an FCS school or lower, and you know that this trip will be a painful @ss whooping; why do we need to put up money for you to come here? We're mutual FBS schools. Beat or get beaten. Explain this.
    We’re not equal FBS or more accurately equal Div I A. No way are we currently equal to A 10 conference schools, and several others. Why? Because our conference isn’t working to improve? And individually we ain’t all that. We do have to pay some really good teams to come on and beat our butts, or go to too many really good schools that spank us. Since we’re not willing to pay for a schedule that would help if we won we get NAIA, and other non Div I schools at bargain basement prices to honor the Learfield contract. Bobby is fine with padding his resume. Vicious circle of losing the program.

The difference is basketball money for being good is outstanding.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information