Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: MBB: Tech Rallies Past Louisiana, 78-69

1. Default Re: MBB: Tech Rallies Past Louisiana, 78-69

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Some guys can be mentally tough as nails and still can’t shoot. It’s like the “forcing turnovers defense” in football that got HUD fired. Some things can’t be made to happen.

Army has the most mentally tough guys on the planet, yet they couldn’t complete a pass when they needed it yesterday.
    They could not complete a pass yesterday when I needed it also . . .

Default Re: Louisiana at LaTech

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    Sure it was bob. On a run grab a 9 point lead. Stop momentum. Let tech close to 3 at the half and have all the momentum.
    Genius
    It's not about freaking momentum. Not sure how many times this needs to be explained. If he doesn't call a timeout and get him out of there, what happens if the next trip down the court he picks up his second foul? Now you have your best player on the bench anyhow AND he has 2 fouls and very little time left in the half for which that momentum is worthless. You have to have guys that can go out and maintain that momentum with Brown out. Our entire team outside of Brown and Joe Charles decided not to show up.

Now, I would love to ask Marlin why he didn't just go at Lofton in the second half when he had foul trouble. He was guarding Brown. He was not aggressive enough there IMO. Most here are in general agreement about our coaching situation but that specific timeout was a good one IMO.

Default Re: Louisiana at LaTech

Quote Originally Posted by BBOYD View Post
    Zephyr,

You said to save him from getting his Second Foul, late in the 1st half ???

Not sure if the second foul is that big a deal late in the 1st half!!!
    I guess the question is since there is very little time in the half why risk it? Also, he ended up nearly fouling out and was not effective defensively late in the game due to not wanting to pick up that foul so it seems that it was necessary.

Default Re: MBB: Tech Rallies Past Louisiana, 78-69

So what happen with the Creighton kid, he hardly ever plays? Before the season he was said to be the most athletic kid on the team and can really play. We also have a top 100 player “Harper” He barely plays as well! Why is that?
    All good questions

5. Default Re: MBB: Tech Rallies Past Louisiana, 78-69

So what happen with the Creighton kid, he hardly ever plays? Before the season he was said to be the most athletic kid on the team and can really play. We also have a top 100 player “Harper” He barely plays as well! Why is that?
    Nice interview . . .

The sad thing is Marlin coached not to get Brown in foul trouble and he did anyway at the beginning of the second half. If only Marlin worried about turnovers as much as fouls. Cajuns should have had a double digit lead at halftime.

Did Morris or Marlin recruit more than one point guard, or thought Au could carry the load. If ‘18 taught us anything, you can be talented but if your PG gets dinged and you don’t have a backup, that’s a problem.

When the time comes, the new coach better be experienced with the transfer portal. Our present team is pretty nomadic to begin with. Which sadly is the norm for college basketball…in general, can’t develop players if they don’t stay to learn a system.

Worst thing to happen to college hoops since ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    All good questions
    I'm at a loss with why Jones doesn't play. I thought his vision he showed in that Jackson State game was the best we had. He should be playing a lot of minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Did Morris or Marlin recruit more than one point guard, or thought Au could carry the load. If ‘18 taught us anything, you can be talented but if your PG gets dinged and you don’t have a backup, that’s a problem.

When the time comes, the new coach better be experienced with the transfer portal. Our present team is pretty nomadic to begin with. Which sadly is the norm for college basketball…in general, can’t develop players if they don’t stay to learn a system.

Worst thing to happen to college hoops since ESPN.
    Au wasn’t even really recruited as a PG. He was just forced into it last year due to the way the dominoes feel after the preseason injuries and he played adequately. Wesley and Thomas are the only true PGs on the roster. Wesley plays with a ton of heart but as Mike said earlier he would he really is best suited as a spark on the bench type guy playing 10 minutes or so a game. Thomas I think could still develop into a decent starting PG but he needs to develop the ability to penetrate and finish or draw contact and get to the line.

I don’t like the idea of the double combo guard back court instead of a true point but coming into the season I thought that Williams and Harper in the backcourt would be at least somewhat comparable to Wilson and Russell last year. I thought Harper having a full off season would have developed nicely, especially with the glimpses of talent we saw last year. As much as I like the Garnett story he really should be a bench spark as well. The fact that a walk on is starting, let alone playing more minutes than anyone else, while 2 former top 100 recruits don’t even make it off the bench (while 3 other scholarship players are out with injury) certainly is a head scratcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Au wasn’t even really recruited as a PG. He was just forced into it last year due to the way the dominoes feel after the preseason injuries and he played adequately. Wesley and Thomas are the only true PGs on the roster. Wesley plays with a ton of heart but as Mike said earlier he would he really is best suited as a spark on the bench type guy playing 10 minutes or so a game. Thomas I think could still develop into a decent starting PG but he needs to develop the ability to penetrate and finish or draw contact and get to the line.

I don’t like the idea of the double combo guard back court instead of a true point but coming into the season I thought that Williams and Harper in the backcourt would be at least somewhat comparable to Wilson and Russell last year. I thought Harper having a full off season would have developed nicely, especially with the glimpses of talent we saw last year. As much as I like the Garnett story he really should be a bench spark as well. The fact that a walk on is starting, let alone playing more minutes than anyone else, while 2 former top 100 recruits don’t even make it off the bench (while 3 other scholarship players are out with injury) certainly is a head scratcher.
    I wonder what's going on with Harper too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post

I think Garnett is a pretty good player. Certainly our best outside shooter and plays tough defense.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    I think Garnett is a pretty good player. Certainly our best outside shooter and plays tough defense.
    We are sticking him out there when he can do nothing but shoot. Can't handle the ball and is too small on the defensive end. Him, like almost every other guard, get lost ball watching on defense and we get killed on kick outs for open threes. All our guards are one dimensional which is why we struggle so much.

13. Default Re: MBB: Tech Rallies Past Louisiana, 78-69

Thinking back in early fall Bob placed somebody on long term suspension. Might be the Harper kid, coming back after semester ends. Just in time to get ready for 3 days in March.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Thinking back in early fall Bob placed somebody on long term suspension. Might be the Harper kid, coming back after semester ends. Just in time to get ready for 3 days in March.
    Harper is not suspended

23 point dog v Houston.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread Information