Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: UL Commit Follows Billy to UF

Default Re: Billy taking our commits!

Quote Originally Posted by ZZeebart21 View Post
    We are all new to this game fellas. We have never had a coach move up in Class. This is the way it works. NOW, Ill wager Dez and the guys are burning the midnight oil trying to stop the bleeding. Lets let it shake out and see where we stand in the spring. To quote a famous Thespian: "Its a dog eat dog world, and we are wearing Milk Bone underwear."

Z
    I saw photos of CMD visiting at least one of our decommits at his home last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    No way. The early signing period has a big advantage for the G5 landing higher profile kids before P5s catch on and make an offer.

For years like this, it sucks. But I’ll take the little bad right now for the greater good later.
    I don’t know about that.

With the caveat that we can only use the reading services available (and I tend to defer to 247), We’ve never had a four-star recruit. And only this year have we had our highest rated ever commitment.

It seems we have been adding Money to the athletic budget in the last few years that helps us identify quality recruits; some thing the P fives already had.

I think the proverbial diamonds in the rough few and far between.

Default Re: UL Commit Follows Billy to UF

Who decommitted and then flipped to commited to UL

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    But how do we get around it? One of the commits who re-committed said that Dez had been working on him for years.

Let me put it like this: What if it were my kid? What if it were your kid? If he he/she had a good offer from UL, and you all know I love UL, but he/she decided to go elsewhere, I would respect & support that.

And I would get angry with anyone who tried to object or interfere. I think we all would.

Now, if they were making a decision to go to a school with a winning record and a shoddy reputation, or weak academics, or a poor campus attitude, or a school in a dangerous area, I might put my foot down. But it's not because of my personal preferences.

It's because of my personal responsibility.
    My point isnt about where a kid may or may not go.

I just think the circumstance that the early signing period creates aTremendous and rapid sense of urgency on personnel movement.

If Florida had not said, “ hey Billy Napier, you have to be here before the beginning of December because of recruiting”, ours and other programs like Ours would not be behind the perpetual eight ball.

5. Default Re: Billy taking our commits!

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    I love the early signing period. It's just another thing that puts P-5 schools & their spoiled rotten fan bases under pressure to "perform" & stresses out their resources, especially with the attitude of win now, or pack your bags. This is the one place a school like Louisiana which has had to practice patience as way of doing business.
    USC fired their coach one game into the season I believe. He’s very happy at Georgia Southern who’s coach was fired midway. GS felt the need to get a coach in place. We ain’t going back on in season dismissal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    My point isnt about where a kid may or may not go.

I just think the circumstance that the early signing period creates aTremendous and rapid sense of urgency on personnel movement.

If Florida had not said, “ hey Billy Napier, you have to be here before the beginning of December because of recruiting”, ours and other programs like Ours would not be behind the perpetual eight ball.
    Man, we don't have any sense of urgency on recruiting right now compared to anyone else who just lost their coach. How many of these guys have hit the transfer portal from other programs? Not saying it isn't important, but. How many UL recruits have decommitted only to recommit somewhere else? One? And the mere fact that one is decommitting to go to a historically top SEC school is like a calling card for these coaches. I'm glad UL doesn't have their class full of over rated recruits most of whom will turn tail & run at the first sign of adversity.

I think MD is spot on in the way he is handling his business at this point. To me, it seems like he is giving guys on his present staff a chance to coach their way up the food chain, or coach their way off the team. And he's got a chance sure up the recruits he has & build new recruits with the transfer portal going full blast. The real test for this staff will be the second signing day. All of this first signing day garbage is for spoiled overly expectant fan bases who are only going to be disappointed anyway.

I don’t know about that.

With the caveat that we can only use the reading services available (and I tend to defer to 247), We’ve never had a four-star recruit. And only this year have we had our highest rated ever commitment.

It seems we have been adding Money to the athletic budget in the last few years that helps us identify quality recruits; some thing the P fives already had.

I’m not necessarily talking about diamonds in the rough. I’m just talking about kids not high on the P5 recruiting boards. We come in early and they sign in December. Meanwhile, if they don’t sign in December they can climb up the P5 recruiting boards due to numerous reasons and sign with a last minute offer from said P5.

8. Default Re: Billy taking our commits!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    I’m not necessarily talking about diamonds in the rough. I’m just talking about kids not high on the P5 recruiting boards. We come in early and they sign in December. Meanwhile, if they don’t sign in December they can climb up the P5 recruiting boards due to numerous reasons and sign with a last minute offer from said P5.
    What this allows for is ... the P5 to do preliminary scout work for the P5

Billy's first recruit class here was less than stellar... we just need to get through this rough patch and move on. . Faith fellas...

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    Billy's first recruit class here was less than stellar... we just need to get through this rough patch and move on. . Faith fellas...
    We were 5-7 and just lost a conference game 63-14...we aren’t in that same spot now

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    We were 5-7 and just lost a conference game 63-14...we aren’t in that same spot now
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    Exactly
    Having a less than stellar class at this point is pas bon. I mean after February...not ESD.

I don’t know about that.

1) Number of stars tell you nothing about the quality of the athlete, but they can give you some idea about the competitiveness (but again, not the quality) of your recruiting. Remember, Dez had very few offers coming out of HS. Hardly anyone wanted Jake or Babb.

2) Both Billy & Dez have said it's about evaluating the overall package, the fit, the work ethic, the intangibles, and from those, the potential. Rating services have tens of thousands of kids to go through, so they overemphasize size, speed (but not quickness so much, because that can't be measured), flashy stats, and players on winning teams. (Remember, Wuerffel won the Heisman, and he and Jake played together in Europe. Jake eventually advanced to the Superbowl, Wuerffel never made much of a splash.)

3) Probably because they can't do a thorough job, sometimes the rating services have been known to drop a player's rating when he's seriously talking to a mid-major.

4) Recruit smart, train players physically & mentally, win, repeat. The stars (like winning) are a by-product of doing it right.

14. Default Re: UL Commit Follows Billy to UF

…..Nobody is denying the entire recruiting aspects as being very important…..but the biggey this year for us could be the portal or JCs….we badly need OLs and LBers…..we need them now…..would need somebody to substantiate this but is this about correct?

I just think that the need to replace Mullen would not have been as urgent if there was no such thing as an early signing period.

And I think that this urgency that is created results in knee-jerk reactions on the part of people further up the food chain.

Allegedly, we’ve heard stories that Napier was leveraging offers between LSU and Florida.

Allegedly, Lincoln Riley was leveraging LSU against other people.

A couple of years ago, it was stories that Tom Herman was leveraging offers between Texas and LSU.

Now I realize that this is how people are going to negotiate, but still, in my opinion, there is A built-in urgency that only benefits the P fives.
    Hey, I think we're missing something here.

If Billy is using his Louisiana connections to recruit, who is he hurting more:

UL?

Or Hellish U?

Because if the latter, then by default, we gain ground in Louisiana.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information