Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Now That Billy's gone, Can We Have an Honest discussion?

Default Re: Now That Billy's gone, Can We Have an Honest discussion?

CBN's play calling got too cute sometimes, and I'd have like to see us burn more playclock late in games when we had a lead.

I'd also like to see at least once a series a true zone read where Levi has the option to keep if the play dictates. But I have a feeling if he would have run much more than he did he would not have stayed healthy. Dezmo was legendarily tough, larger than Levi, and was always beat up by the end of the season.

Billy’s greatness was in his preparation and organization, and outside of a couple instances (Levi’s taking the safety against App last year, and several 4th down calls this year due in part to not having a kicker), he was generally composed, logical, and smart on the sideline. He wasn’t the greatest play caller in the world, though I will wonder aloud if some of that wasn’t due to execution.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    Definitely wasnt a fan of Billy’s play calling.
    I don't think we really understand play calling. It is a really complicated chess game, but it's speed chess.

Some plays are called, knowing they're low-yield but they a) either force the defense to cover something that makes their job harder, or b) gets them looking one way, so you can call a play going the other way later in the game.

And I would imagine, for the really smart coaches, they may call a play just to put it on the game film to lure in future opponents.

Sometimes I sit back and think about how to write a program that would generate a list of plays for the coach, with probabilities. It would have to be really, really complicated: what has worked for your team in this situation, in this part of the field, at this time in the game, against this kind of defense? How predictable is it, how long has it been since you called it, when is the last time the other team has seen it?

Then, what is the other team likely to call, offensively or defensively, under all of those same considerations?

Ain't easy.

4. Default Re: Now That Billy's gone, Can We Have an Honest discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    I don't think we really understand play calling. It is a really complicated chess game, but it's speed chess.

Some plays are called, knowing they're low-yield but they a) either force the defense to cover something that makes their job harder, or b) gets them looking one way, so you can call a play going the other way later in the game.

And I would imagine, for the really smart coaches, they may call a play just to put it on the game film to lure in future opponents.

Sometimes I sit back and think about how to write a program that would generate a list of plays for the coach, with probabilities. It would have to be really, really complicated: what has worked for your team in this situation, in this part of the field, at this time in the game, against this kind of defense? How predictable is it, how long has it been since you called it, when is the last time the other team has seen it?

Then, what is the other team likely to call, offensively or defensively, under all of those same considerations?

Ain't easy.
    But in reality the play caller
    to some extent
    is doing that
    on every play
    in real time . . .

Delete this thread. There's no need to discuss play calling from a coach no longer here. The man led these teams to wins, that's all that matters. Time to move forward and keep the train rolling!

6. Default Re: Now That Billy's gone, Can We Have an Honest discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    Delete this thread. There's no need to discuss play calling from a coach no longer here. The man led these teams to wins, that's all that matters. Time to move forward and keep the train rolling!
    So, can we delete all the horrible threads about Levi, also . . . the man led these teams to wins, that is all that matters . . .

Ain't easy.
    You are correct. Like a chess player, Billy was always three or four plays ahead. Everything he called was with a purpose. His ability as a play caller has not, I don't think, been appreciated enough.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    He probably wants him to run like Des did where he averaged 15 or so carries a game. Of course, as effective as he was he also ended the seasons injured or played with injury every year because of the beatings he took.
    This.

While the offense had great success, we had to go to Broadways' first year before we had a quarterback who started every game. Our QB's got beaten up badly for years.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    You are correct. Like a chess player, Billy was always three or four plays ahead. Everything he called was with a purpose. His ability as a play caller has not, I don't think, been appreciated enough.
    Well that settles it then. Mike has no chance of improving on a single thing Billy did because after all, Billy was perfect in every aspect & regard. Time to go back to being 7-6 & thinking about the shining times we had once upon a time. I already gave Billy all the credit a man can be due for being a legend. We don't need to genuflect to the point of making him a god just yet. If I were concerned with the future of this team it would be more on the defensive side of the ball. I think offensively Mike is going to do a hell of a job.

10. Default Re: Now That Billy's gone, Can We Have an Honest discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    Well that settles it then. Mike has no chance of improving on a single thing Billy did because after all, Billy was perfect in every aspect & regard. Time to go back to being 7-6 & thinking about the shining times we had once upon a time.
    What a warped analysis . . . you drinking already this morning . . .

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    Or you can just not come to this thread. Theres plenty of topics to choose from if this one makes you uncomfortable

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    What a warped analysis . . . you drinking already this morning . . .
    Is it? I'm very grateful for everything Billy did for this team. But personally I think going for it on fourth & 6 plus on that last drive was stupid. You want to try to draw them offsides fine. Then punt the ball & play defense from inside their 20 with a few less ticks on the clock. Did it work out for us? everyone knows the answer to that. But I watched the Saints put away the Indianapolis Colts on that same exact play when Tracey Porter stepped in front of a slant pattern just like that on 3rd & short & took it to the house. You can call it chess if you want. I call it a dangerous call that had at least as high a percentage of having something terrible happen as something good.

I'm not gonna pilfer through the rest of the season just to try to degrade a local hero. But saying his play calling could be improved upon by the next guy is not being disrespectful to him. I am in fact looking forward to the next coach with a degree of anticipation & hope. I have seen him work at the high school level as a play caller & was very impressed by him. I didn't like him then, but he was a hell of a play caller.

13. Default Re: Now That Billy's gone, Can We Have an Honest discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    Is it? I'm very grateful for everything Billy did for this team. But personally I think going for it on fourth & 6 plus on that last drive was stupid. You want to try to draw them offsides fine. Then punt the ball & play defense from inside their 20 with a few less ticks on the clock. Did it work out for us? everyone knows the answer to that. But I watched the Saints put away the Indianapolis Colts on that same exact play when Tracey Porter stepped in front of a slant pattern just like that on 3rd & short & took it to the house. You can call it chess if you want. I call it a dangerous call that had at least as high a percentage of having something terrible happen as something good.

I'm not gonna pilfer through the rest of the season just to try to degrade a local hero. But saying his play calling could be improved upon by the next guy is not being disrespectful to him. I am in fact looking forward to the next coach with a degree of anticipation & hope. I have seen him work at the high school level as a play caller & was very impressed by him. I didn't like him then, but he was aa hell of a play caller.
    Another book that no one would consider publishing . . .

14. Default Re: Now That Billy's gone, Can We Have an Honest discussion?

Ain't easy.
    ……,.,LOCAL DOCTOR LEAVES MEDICAL FIELD TO BECOME A FOOTBALL ANALYST FOR NEW UL COACH……Doc you are not close to being on the money….you are on it…..really all this is done now…..this year a Passing TD by us was called because of a defensive alignment picked up on a tape 2 years ago by an opponent against another team…..to get them in this def set they were on the correct hash mark and shifted from the set and then ran motion to get them in their defense so we checked to the play called,,,,we have a service that tells us the % of going for it on 3rd or 4th down situations….btw, all this is run by a senior at UL by the name of Levie Lewis!….oh I might have embellished the TD score with a few things !!! Lol

15. Default Re: Now That Billy's gone, Can We Have an Honest discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ……,.,LOCAL DOCTOR LEAVES MEDICAL FIELD TO BECOME A FOOTBALL ANALYST FOR NEW UL COACH……Doc you are not close to being on the money….you are on it…..really all this is done now…..this year a Passing TD by us was called because of a defensive alignment picked up on a tape 2 years ago by an opponent against another team…..to get them in this def set they were on the correct hash mark and shifted from the set and then ran motion to get them in their defense so we checked to the play called,,,,we have a service that tells us the % of going for it on 3rd or 4th down situations….btw, all this is run by a senior at UL by the name of Levie Lewis!….oh I might have embellished the TD score with a few things !!! Lol
    Boomer, that extra e is for effort?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information