Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Where will Louisiana rank in Final College football polls?

Default Re: Where will Louisiana rank in Final College football polls?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Late season losses ...not post season ones

Michigan beat the dog ____ out of Iowa and They only drop 4 spots
    So you're looking at it game-by-game, not trending....so 2 losses in a row doesn't necessarily move the needle.

Take a look at these two graphics. Granted, this is from a COVID shortened season, but it's the most recent. Look at Liberty, Coastal, Indiana, Northwestern, UNC and Miami. It appears that the pollsters can penalize after bowl losses. Just HOW MUCH is the question. If you are Cincinnati and lose to #7 Georgia by 3, you drop 2. If you are COVID Carolina and lose to Liberty, you drop 5. BWK was talking about the precarious situation that Utah is in. Look at Indiana. Lost to unranked Ole Miss by 5 and fell like a rock.

Attached Images Attached Images    

In my opinion, it is a travesty that a team that was 12-1 (now 13-1) did not get the opportunity to finish the season on New Year's eve or New Year's day. This speaks volumes about what is wrong with college football. Forget about P5 and G5, we are both FBS. The Bowl system needs to be reformed. I hope the new playoff system addresses this issue. I enjoyed the New Orleans Bowl but we should have gotten higher profile bowl. College football is broken and I fear that it is getting worse with the ridiculously high coaches salaries as well as the NIL deals. To me, the NIL deals are an open invitation to get gambling concerns involved with running college football. This is especially true with the recent proliferation of sports books everywhere. I have nothing agianst gambling, but I think this may be a toxic mix for college sports.

This is my opinion and I will not harp on it, but it is a shame that the once great sport of college football is being corrupted by greed.

College football has always been corrupted, it's just more out in the open now. I'd be willing to bet games were a lot easier to rig by the gamblers in the 50s and 60s with fewer eyes on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    So you're looking at it game-by-game, not trending....so 2 losses in a row doesn't necessarily move the needle.
    I think of post season as a separate season.

Take a look at these two graphics. Granted, this is from a COVID shortened season, but it's the most recent. Look at Liberty, Coastal, Indiana, Northwestern, UNC and Miami. It appears that the pollsters can penalize after bowl losses. Just HOW MUCH is the question. If you are Cincinnati and lose to #7 Georgia by 3, you drop 2. If you are COVID Carolina and lose to Liberty, you drop 5. BWK was talking about the precarious situation that Utah is in. Look at Indiana. Lost to unranked Ole Miss by 5 and fell like a rock.
    Look at Clemson ND, FL who all got dragged. Voters won't penalize you for losing to a ranked team in bowl season.

7. Default Re: Where will Louisiana rank in Final College football polls?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Look at Clemson ND, FL who all got dragged. Voters won't penalize you for losing to a ranked team in bowl season.
    Specifically P5 schools.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Specifically P5 schools.
    Yep you win the prize!!!!

9. Default Re: Where will Louisiana rank in Final College football polls?

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    College football is broken and I fear that it is getting worse with the ridiculously high coaches salaries as well as the NIL deals. To me, the NIL deals are an open invitation to get gambling concerns involved with running college football. This is especially true with the recent proliferation of sports books everywhere. I have nothing agianst gambling, but I think this may be a toxic mix for college sports
    Tulane basketball would beg to differ with you. There’s no problem with gambling. There’s nothing about gambling and college sports needs more transparency.

On a more serious note about money? Who should benefit from all the money being generated by football, and mens basketball? Excessive coaches contracts, but they (universities)want that coach. Who deserves the excessive money other than the partnership between players and universities.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    I believe after looking at Grantvb’s analysis, we will be better than that. We did our part at least a couple others will also.
    I hope so.
    I don't trust the pollsters.
    I do believe in Santa Clause, though.

Regardless where we rank we will he the 2nd highest G5 team

Strength of schedule killing us... hate to say it .

If we are 15-20
    I will be ecstatic!!

Okay, so the pollsters (as I understand you) wouldn't be putting the ranking on Utah for being PAC-12 champs so much as they are in the Rose Bowl. That leaves the pollsters more suspect than the poll workers in 2020.

But this theory ABSOLUTELY solidifies the idea of PERCEPTION. Probably the best example of BIASED Perception that i've read on this thread. To rank someone based on their bowl slot rather than their record and title of Conference Champion - cause you owe it to the Rose Bowl to promote a high ranking matchup? How obvious could they be?
    That is the only reason they are ranked that high with three losses. They got beat by BYU who got lost to UAB whom they were favored against & Oregon State who lost to Utah St. who they were favored against. Once they lose to Ohio State they will, to borrow your slang, drop like a stone in water.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Specifically P5 schools.
    Sorry brother, can I call you brother? But this is where you are missing this year's boat. Most years the P-5 has one, two, even three undefeated teams with a pretty fair slew of of one loss teams. This year, that isn't the case at all. The only undefeated team is a G-5 & very few 1 loss P-5 teams. The G-5 has never made as good a showing for itself as it has the past two seasons in a row. That makes a ton of difference to perception.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information