Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Where will Louisiana rank in Final College football polls?

Default Re: Where will Louisiana rank in Final College football polls?

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    King, I am a little fuzzy on how Ole Miss and Pitt winning their bowls, puts Louisiana in a better position. Pitt is actually at #13 right now (got a few rankings mixed up from earlier entry - sorry!). Utah needs to lose and I would see Pitt lose to Mich St at #11 in order keep them out of the top 10. Although, having them win and finish 12-2 at ACC Champs does remove a log jam between #9 - 14...Then Ok St. Trying to figure that one. They need to get crushed by the Irish in order to blank out at 11-3. Utah MUST get bulldozed by OSU and finish with 4 losses. I think it is imperative that OU beat Oregon since a four loss Oregon is easier to jump than a 3 loss OU AND an 11-win Oregon.
    It's just opinion & your opinion is based on a lot of good reasoning. I am in agreement that Okie St. has to be crushed by Notre Dame & Ohio St. needs to beat up Utah. The bigger the better. There is no chance we jump Ohio St. even with three losses, or Notre dame, or the top 4. I just think Cinncy winning it all & beating the best Big 10 & SEC teams helps UL's cause overall. I also think it doesn't matter who looses out of OU & Oregon. UL will leap frog the loser of that game is the way I see it. I like our chances of leaping over a 3 loss MSU team with a bad 2nd half of the season more than leaping a conference champion Pittsburgh, although I think there is a good chance we leap over either loser. So I feel pretty confident we will be at least 12th at the end & could possibly be as high as #9 if all the cards fall our way. But we do have a very realistic chance of getting to 10 by either one of our scenarios.

Alright, Dave. We get your message. Just relax brother.

BWK, let's not get into a ____ing match just days before Christmas.

Tis' the season, gents. Peace on RaginPagin.com Good will towards, men.

3. Default Re: Where will Louisiana rank in Final College football polls?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    14 or 13 ... If you think we move up 6 spots for beating a 7 win Marshall team you need your brain checked.
    very logical and probably true post. I think the reality is if we are higher than 13, I will be pleasantly surprised, no matter what happens. Unless of course, Billy Napier reports that he turned down the job to be the Coach of the Earth Football team that was going to play all other teams in the galaxy. Because if that is the case than all of the pollsters would then take that in to account for putting the Cajuns at #7. That or if CMD tells people that before the bowl game he brushed his teeth with Aim Toothpaste and that could move the pollsters to put them at #5. Maybe the fact that Dr. Maggard might have eaten a po-boy before the game will get us an extra spot or two, not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    It's just opinion & your opinion is based on a lot of good reasoning. I am in agreement that Okie St. has to be crushed by Notre Dame & Ohio St. needs to beat up Utah. The bigger the better. There is no chance we jump Ohio St. even with three losses, or Notre dame, or the top 4. I just think Cinncy winning it all & beating the best Big 10 & SEC teams helps UL's cause overall. I also think it doesn't matter who looses out of OU & Oregon. UL will leap frog the loser of that game is the way I see it. I like our chances of leaping over a 3 loss MSU team with a bad 2nd half of the season more than leaping a conference champion Pittsburgh, although I think there is a good chance we leap over either loser. So I feel pretty confident we will be at least 12th at the end & could possibly be as high as #9 if all the cards fall our way. But we do have a very realistic chance of getting to 10 by either one of our scenarios.
    Alright, I see your point about MSU. Looking at their last 4 games - they lost 2 of 4. Don't know how the pollsters view each team (game by game or recent trend). If it's the latter, losing 3 of your last 5 doesn't help your cause ESPECIALLY with a loss to Purdue.

14 or 13 ... If you think we move up 6 spots for beating a 7 win Marshall team you need your brain checked.
    Scotty, I'm not trying to say that the Cajuns with a 13-1 are all-world. I am trying to reason with them moving up while you have a buffet of teams moving out of the top 10-15 after losing a bowl game (some having lost 2 in a row at that point). Looking back at BWK's scenarios - I think I can agree with #13 Pitt beating #11 Michigan St. so that a Conf. Champion gets the nod into the Top 10. The reason I didn't at first was due to Michigan St not having to jump so far to move ahead. Ole Miss and Ok St will be a hard sell to the committee to have us jump them. Far jump for #16. I think 6 spots is POSSIBLE, but some blowouts will have to happen.

I'm good. I'm not even paying attention to them. You're the one I'm matching wits with. And to just add. i like your opinion just as much as mine. maybe more.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    very logical and probably true post. I think the reality is if we are higher than 13, I will be pleasantly surprised, no matter what happens. Unless of course, Billy Napier reports that he turned down the job to be the Coach of the Earth Football team that was going to play all other teams in the galaxy. Because if that is the case than all of the pollsters would then take that in to account for putting the Cajuns at #7. That or if CMD tells people that before the bowl game he brushed his teeth with Aim Toothpaste and that could move the pollsters to put them at #5. Maybe the fact that Dr. Maggard might have eaten a po-boy before the game will get us an extra spot or two, not sure.
    Voters have a history of not penalize teams for losing bowl games. Especially top 15 matchups

8. Default Re: Where will Louisiana rank in Final College football polls?

Voters have a history of not penalize teams for losing bowl games. Especially top 15 matchups
    And Pollsters have a habit of putting P5 2 and 3 loss teams over G5 teams with 0 or 1 losses. Your point is valid, as is mine. We shall see where it all shakes out, but I would not hold my breath for at top 10 finish. Again, just my opinion.

Scotty, I'm not trying to say that the Cajuns with a 13-1 are all-world. I am trying to reason with them moving up while you have a buffet of teams moving out of the top 10-15 after losing a bowl game (some having lost 2 in a row at that point). Looking back at BWK's scenarios - I think I can agree with #13 Pitt beating #11 Michigan St. so that a Conf. Champion gets the nod into the Top 10. The reason I didn't at first was due to Michigan St not having to jump so far to move ahead. Ole Miss and Ok St will be a hard sell to the committee to have us jump them. Far jump for #16. I think 6 spots is POSSIBLE, but some blowouts will have to happen.
    Well let's look at Utah. we both know the only reason they are 10 is because they are in the rose bowl. Now, if they beat Ohio State, that will kill UL's chances of getting into the top 10. But if OSU beats them, especially if they stomp em, then get out the way as Utah drops. they may fall out of the top 20.

Would be a first time voters really penalize teams for losing a bowl. Most I've seen is 3 or 4 spots

I think we can look back to 2019 App state they moved up 1 spot after winning their bowl.

11. Default Re: Where will Louisiana rank in Final College football polls?

You are correct, I can't match wits with someone who is at such a huge disadvantage. I will break from my discussions with Kyle.

The polls have an incredibly long history of punishing teams with late season losses over teams with early season losses. If my best case scenario comes to pass, there will only be three teams in college football with one loss or less. And two of those teams will be G-5s And one of those G-5s will be the outright national champion. In that scenario all bets on P-5s are off. A 13 win UL team will look even stronger.

Thanks, Kyle. Mutual sir. Final Rankings - whether they matter to the mass media or not, matter to fans. It's like getting a late gift in the mail AFTER Christmas.

I could see a good spot for ACC with Pitt beating MSU. And come to think of it, I like it that way cause it keeps the ACC in the conversation. Big Ten has enough teams on the high side with OSU and Michigan. There's no reconciling UTAH's win with Cajuns moving up - they don't help our cause in any way, shape or form. Same with Ole Miss. Utah might be an easier jump, as your post mentioned, since 4 losses isn't a good look for top 10.

This will be a VERY interesting unfolding....

My wants to win the next bowl games:

Notre Dame (because of first and foremost, Our Lady)
    Baylor (less to deal with Ole Miss)
    Ohio St. (can't believe I said that)
    Pittsburgh (thanks to Kyle for DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE)
    Oklahoma (4 loss Oregon will drop like a stone in water)
    UK (don't need to get sneaked by Iowa)
    NC State (strengthen the ACC)
    Clemson (same as above)
    Auburn and Houston - toss up
    Arkansas, Texas A&M (I am appreciative of SEC-quality football, despite what they are trying to do to College Athletics)
    UTSA (good matchup. Validates our win last bowl)

Well let's look at Utah. we both know the only reason they are 10 is because they are in the rose bowl. Now, if they beat Ohio State, that will kill UL's chances of getting into the top 10. But if OSU beats them, especially if they stomp em, then get out the way as Utah drops. they may fall out of the top 20.
    Okay, so the pollsters (as I understand you) wouldn't be putting the ranking on Utah for being PAC-12 champs so much as they are in the Rose Bowl. That leaves the pollsters more suspect than the poll workers in 2020.

But this theory ABSOLUTELY solidifies the idea of PERCEPTION. Probably the best example of BIASED Perception that i've read on this thread. To rank someone based on their bowl slot rather than their record and title of Conference Champion - cause you owe it to the Rose Bowl to promote a high ranking matchup? How obvious could they be?

The polls have an incredibly long history of punishing teams with late season losses over teams with early season losses. If my best case scenario comes to pass, there will only be three teams in college football with one loss or less. And two of those teams will be G-5s And one of those G-5s will be the outright national champion. In that scenario all bets on P-5s are off. A 13 win UL team will look even stronger.
    Late season losses ...not post season ones

Michigan beat the dog ____ out of Iowa and They only drop 4 spots

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 ... LastLast

Thread Information