Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Podcast: Coach Michael Desormeaux

Default Re: Podcast: Coach Michael Desormeaux

As someone who does a good bit of public speaking as part of my job it isn’t easy for most people and practice always leads to improvement. I can’t imagine I would be impressive on the phone on the radio especially having not done it before. Little delays can add to awkwardness.

I noticed more and more people using “right” as a verbal crutch since the dawning of podcasts. People making more extended points but pausing to make sure the audience is following then it becomes habit. I think it has seeped into the common vernacular.

2. Default Re: Podcast: Coach Michael Desormeaux

Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    As someone who does a good bit of public speaking as part of my job it isn’t easy for most people and practice always leads to improvement. I can’t imagine I would be impressive on the phone on the radio especially having not done it before. Little delays can add to awkwardness.

I noticed more and more people using “right” as a verbal crutch since the dawning of podcasts. People making more extended points but pausing to make sure the audience is following then it becomes habit. I think it has seeped into the common vernacular.
    Even worse, those who use “yea?” as a filler word at the end of every sentence.

"Right", "if that makes sense" and "so" were crutch phrases Billy uses all the time.

4. Default Re: Podcast: Coach Michael Desormeaux

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    "Right", "if that makes sense" and "so" were crutch phrases Billy uses all the time.
    Thanks Jay

"if that makes sense" was the one I was thinking of but couldn't pull it up in my mind if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Thanks Jay

"if that makes sense" was the one I was thinking of but couldn't pull it up in my mind if that makes sense.
    You can add, "do you follow me?" It seems when asking that question, or, "right?", or, "does that make sense?" it creates uncertainty and doubt instead of being reassuring. It's as if the person who gave the answer is questioning whether or not he explained it properly, or, whether or not the person listening is smart enough to understand what was explained, which is kind of insulting.

Most of the time, the person listening responds, "yes" when sometimes they have absolutely no idea what the person just said.

LOL!

In Canada it’s “A”.

Quote Originally Posted by OrlandeauxCajun View Post
    Even worse, those who use “yea?” as a filler word at the end of every sentence.
    Possibly derived from the Canadians use of “eh”?

Is it “eh” or “A”?
    I always thought it was “eh” or at least that’s what I picked up whenever I lived in Michigan. You would be surprised how many Michiganders used that in conversation. Thankfully it quickly faded once I moved down here.

Pretty good interview. I think it's just weird to hear another voice leading the Cajuns. You're easily drawn to the differences and nuances in their speech patterns and choice of wording in the responses. I had to stop myself from expecting essentially what Billy would say because they are different dudes.

Billy spoke REALLY slow. Chose his words.

DMEAUX just needs to slow down a little and drop a few Ums.

10. Default Re: Podcast: Coach Michael Desormeaux

Everything will slow down for him. Give him an opportunity to adjust to all that has come his way in the last week.

He wasn’t hired as a public speaker, he is here to run a football program.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Who said "no doubt" and "without question"?
    Bustle.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Good interview and I'm sure Coach Des will improve as he does more interviews. Sorry to say this but I can't be the only person with this observation. First impression is important. If I could offer constructive advice, eliminate "you know" and "I mean" which he must have said 500 times in the interview, much like a freshman player being interviewed. He has the right message and just needs to polish his interview skills, very important as a head coach as he will be in the spotlight on a regular basis. 100% behind Coach Des as he continues the legacy Napier left and takes UL to even greater heights.
    Watching clips from Des’ press conference today, he is already a pro at the podium. He looked and sounded more than comfortable behind the microphone answering questions. Id go as far to say he presented better than Napier ever did.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information