Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . LastLast

Thread: I 100% Support Mike Desormeaux! (formerly I will not support Mike D)

Default Re: I will not support Mike D

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaB View Post
    I support Des.

I don’t support the $775k salary. It’s not warranted yet. And basic economic principles say he would have taken lower than that. We are paying him that much just cause.
    However, you don't want to insult the dude, or send a negative measure as to what you think he is worth. In today's climate, $775,000 sounds about right.

$775k more than all SBC HCs except Spavitol, Butch Jones, and Chadwell.

Just don’t think 775k is justified considering he has no HC experience, and he would have taken a lot less. Market factors didn’t determine this salary.

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    However, you don't want to insult the dude, or send a negative measure as to what you think he is worth. In today's climate, $775,000 sounds about right.
    Absolutely! You don't need to, or want to, start trying to low ball someone to come here! That is NOT the message you want to be sending out to prospective coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    Absolutely! You don't need to, or want to, start trying to low ball someone to come here! That is NOT the message you want to be sending out to prospective coaches.
    But he isn’t coming here. He’s already here. And he isn’t going anywhere.

I support Des.

I don’t support the $775k salary. It’s not warranted yet. And basic economic principles say he would have taken lower than that. We are paying him that much just cause.
    In the insane world of college coaching pay, I'd be very concerned if they weren't paying him at least this much. UL is now supposed to be THE LEADING PROGRAM in the sunbelt conference. They should behave like it. I hope there are some pretty decent incentives attached to this pay scale as well. And I also hope there is a way to help with the assistant pool to help increase it as well going forward.

But he is going to be hiring coaches to come here. Quality coaches don't need to go somewhere where they get nickel and dimed. If Dr. Maggard thinks he is worth the money, I am good with it. It fits in with the other SBC HC coaches range.

I support Des.

Basic economic principles? It was a salary negotiated and accepted between two parties, end of story. Lowballing a guy you want to commit to and succeed would be "USL'ing" it as others on here like to say.

Also, you're not going to get good coordinators without paying them a good salary, and you can't have a coordinator making more than, or nearly as much as, the HC. There mist be a balance in staff salaries.

9. Default Re: I will not support Mike D

I was hoping for UL to save a little more than $1.25 mil over last year, but I'm happy for the Desormeaux family.

I understand it may be an unpopular opinion. I have always said there is a bigger problem of balancing the need to spend to have success with the need to be fiscally responsible. It may scream small-time, but money isnt an infinite resource for this program.

We had a $5.9 million from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020 (one season affected by COVID); and $4.5 million deficit from July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019. The numbers for July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021, havent been released, but considering both academic semesters were affected by COVID, i would imagine there will be a deficit.

I like Maggard. But odds are he wont be here in five years. What incentive is there to be fiscally responsible? Is Des worth $775,000, or more like $500k? Does $250k make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things? I think so.

By no means am I big donor. But I do want to see my money used responsibly. Napier was worth $2 million because he proved his worth before getting here and in his first few years. He was also worth it because of basic market factors--i.e. he could make a heck of a lot more somewhere else.

Compare that to Des. No HC experience. One year (or two?) of co-OC position. Six years NCAA coaching. Young. Local. Thats all Im saying.

11. Default Re: I will not support Mike D

$775k more than all SBC HCs except Spavitol, Butch Jones, and Chadwell.

Just don’t think 775k is justified considering he has no HC experience, and he would have taken a lot less. Market factors didn’t determine this salary.
    He has HC experience, you don’t know he would have taken less and absolutely market factors determined his salary . . . This is the University of Louisiana, SBC champs and top 25 team . . .

12. Default Re: I will not support Mike D

If you were going to pay Lanning $775k, you need to pay Mike $775. Plain and simple. The number matters in so many ways.

13. Default Re: I will not support Mike D

I understand it may be an unpopular opinion. I have always said there is a bigger problem of balancing the need to spend to have success with the need to be fiscally responsible. It may scream small-time, but money isnt an infinite resource for this program.

We had a $5.9 million from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020 (one season affected by COVID); and $4.5 million deficit from July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019. The numbers for July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021, havent been released, but considering both academic semesters were affected by COVID, i would imagine there will be a deficit.

I like Maggard. But odds are he wont be here in five years. What incentive is there to be fiscally responsible? Is Des worth $775,000, or more like $500k? Does $250k make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things? I think so.

By no means am I big donor. But I do want to see my money used responsibly. Napier was worth $2 million because he proved his worth before getting here and in his first few years. He was also worth it because of basic market factors--i.e. he could make a heck of a lot more somewhere else.

Compare that to Des. No HC experience. One year (or two?) of co-OC position. Six years NCAA coaching. Young. Local. Thats all Im saying.
    So, do you think Maggard’s raising the salaries of almost every coach that was already here and not going to ever leave shortly after he got here was not warranted . . . guys like you want us to abuse the very people who are good loyal and willing to be here. That is USL’ing things.

Sean McVay became an NFL HC at 30 years old. Sometimes guys just have "IT" and smart decision makers notice it early. We all hope that's the case here.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    So, do you think Maggard’s raising the salaries of almost every coach that was already here and not going to ever leave shortly after he got here was not warranted . . . guys like you want us to abuse the very people who are good loyal and willing to be here. That is USL’ing things.
    I don’t think $500k is abuse. I think it’s responsible. He does not have college coaching experience. College and high school are a little different.

He wins next year, I’m all for bumping up.

Do you agree with anything I said or is it a blanket rebuke?

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . LastLast

Thread Information