Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Football Staff specULation

Default Re: Coach DMeaux New Staff

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    I heard there may have been communications with Trev last week. Interesting. He might be a good catch as a position coach and possibly be very good at recruiting too!
    Personal friend and good guy. He definitely fits the culture.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Gerry and I discussed this on the pod last week. Napier was 58% RUN during this time at UL. I would like to continue ground & pound, control the LOS and play exceptional defense. I think its a championship formula and the most sustainable offensive plan.
    This right here. Maybe slide the percentages back and forth a little as talent dictates, but the 30,000 ft view is big boy football, running game dominant with a nasty defense.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    If we were a highly sought after HC job, wouldn’t it stand to reason we’ll get just as impressive applicants for the other openings?
    Not necessarily. HC gets to set his own agenda and staff. I feel like assistants, especially coordinators are looking for spots where they can not only shine (BIG PLUS for UL), but get mentored and gain knowledge that will serve them well in their career.

Everything I have read about Coach Des makes me believe that he can mentor young coaches well about life and family, but it still comes back to experience. Will up and coming coordinators view him as someone they can learn and advance their career with. Only time will tell, but all UL fans hope he will be wildly successful.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    I agree with this totally.

Wait...did I just say that?
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen you say that. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    According to Turbine it’s coming full circle. Bilichick has SLI roots
    Wait..... What about the Frank Beamer model?

6. Default Re: Coach DMeaux New Staff

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan96 View Post
    Wait..... What about the Frank Beamer model?
    Bustle blew up the Beamer Model while he was 2 wins ahead of Beamer when he fired his OC and DC.

7. Default Re: Coach DMeaux New Staff

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    According to Turbine it’s coming full circle. Bilichick has SLI roots
    Yeah baby!

Louisiana went undefeated the year Bill Belichick's dad coached at Louisiana.

Full circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Get Tony Hull for running backs coach / Co-OC
    Jorge Munoz back as passing game coordinator/QB coach
    I like this! Hearing this news would get me a nice, quarter sized pee spot on my pants

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    This right here. Maybe slide the percentages back and forth a little as talent dictates, but the 30,000 ft view is big boy football, running game dominant with a nasty defense.
    There is actually a theory about this from my field of ecology, called the Ideal Free Distribution.

Consumers will, without thinking about it, distribute themselves according to resources. Take 10 dogs, put 30% of the food at one end of the room, 70% at the other, they will distribute themselves 3 & 7.

I'm not sure why yet, but I think the same thing may be true of strategy. You should distribute plays to match their success ratios. Now, the critical question is 'How many yards do you want/need?' But once you determine that, you should be able to calculate how often each play succeeds. If it's 60% run success, 50% pass success, you should probably pick them in that ratio, 6:5.

Probably.

But the catch is, the less you call particular kind of play, the more effective it will become. And some plays don't have to succeed, because they can create success with other plays: When you throw the occasional long ball, even if it fails, it spreads out the passing defense and increases the success of the run and the short pass.

It's something we need a game theorist to model... or maybe run a Monte Carlo simulation.

Yes, I'm showing off, but I always loved that name, 'Monte Carlo simulation.' It just means that, rather than calculate out the probabilities, you let a computer (or even real people) run the games over and over to see the outcomes...

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    There is actually a theory about this from my field of ecology, called the Ideal Free Distribution.

Consumers will, without thinking about it, distribute themselves according to resources. Take 10 dogs, put 30% of the food at one end of the room, 70% at the other, they will distribute themselves 3 & 7.

I'm not sure why yet, but I think the same thing may be true of strategy. You should distribute plays to match their success ratios. Now, the critical question is 'How many yards do you want/need?' But once you determine that, you should be able to calculate how often each play succeeds. If it's 60% run success, 50% pass success, you should probably pick them in that ratio, 6:5.

Probably.

But the catch is, the less you call particular kind of play, the more effective it will become. And some plays don't have to succeed, because they can create success with other plays: When you throw the occasional long ball, even if it fails, it spreads out the passing defense and increases the success of the run and the short pass.

It's something we need a game theorist to model... or maybe run a Monte Carlo simulation.

Yes, I'm showing off, but I always loved that name, 'Monte Carlo simulation.' It just means that, rather than calculate out the probabilities, you let a computer (or even real people) run the games over and over to see the outcomes...
    Dude I love this. Correlation is not causation, it takes a deeper analysis than has traditionally been applied to football.

Dude I love this. Correlation is not causation, it takes a deeper analysis than has traditionally been applied to football.
    Check out the big brain on Joe!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post

Probably.

I'm sure we all noticed that the Cajuns tended to pull away or at least pull it out by the end of the game. I'm sure there are a lot of reasons, but I wonder how much had to do with how analysis driven Napier was. If you consistently make the percentage call, you may look silly at times to those without the data but in the long run (hopefully before the 4th quarter ends) you end up being more right than wrong and more successful than not.

I'm sure we all noticed that the Cajuns tended to pull away or at least pull it out by the end of the game. I'm sure there are a lot of reasons, but I wonder how much had to do with how analysis driven Napier was. If you consistently make the percentage call, you may look silly at times to those without the data but in the long run (hopefully before the 4th quarter ends) you end up being more right than wrong and more successful than not.
    Billy ball??? Just not the Beane.....

14. Default Re: Coach DMeaux New Staff

No scared MONEY BALL

15. Default Re: Coach DMeaux New Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    No scared MONEY BALL
    There is a old saying when one is scared to pull the trigger . . . You got the power but you scared . . . He ain’t scared .. .

Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information