Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst . 21 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast

Thread: Head Coach Mike Desormeaux

Default Re: Head Coach Mike Desormeaux

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    All of you people need to chill out. We are all 100% invested in Mike being successful as head coach of our Louisiana Ragin Cajuns. The fact that some of us have legitimate concerns about his readiness for the job does not equate to us "hating" him or even the hire. I have not seen one person here express doubt about Mike's character or work ethic or commitment to the job at hand. What I have seen are concerns very similar to those which a proud parent might have were their beloved child to receive a sudden and unexpected promotion to a position at work.

Every on of us wants him to succeed. We all want him to be as good as or better than his coaching parent CBN. Some of us are mothers who can see no wrong in their offspring; others are fathers who believe wholeheartedly that he CAN do the job, but see the possibility that he might have needed more time and experience to fully equip himself to handle it.

None of us are wrong.
    Great post and it is how I feel. I am 100% behind Mike and I trust Dr M. My only post on the topic so far has been to compare Napier pedigree when he was hired. I will not be one critical of the new coach when we lose our first game nor second guess. All I am saying is that I was expecting more but that’s why I sit in the stands while the good Doc makes the decisions. Excited about the future

Now, we all hope that Mike Desormeaux is to Cajuns football what Brad Stevens was to Butler basketball.

The hires are very similar to me.

3. Default Re: Head Coach Mike Desormeaux

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    Now, we all hope that Mike Desormeaux is to Cajuns football what Brad Stevens was to Butler basketball.

The hires are very similar to me.
    When I saw Brad, I thought it was going to be Brad Boyd . . .

You know, he may be next . . .

4. Default Re: Head Coach Mike Desormeaux

My guy VOB is on the right track here. We have to keep this all in perspective.
    The very LAST thing we need to be right now is a circular firing squad. The LAST thing we need right now is to all retreat to our corners and __________ post about the hire, or choke on Vermilion & White ding dong to back the hire.
    Mike Des shouldn't be a polarizing thing. But he is, and we all need to accept it. I can tell you, I had (and still have) some concerns. But the more you think about it, the more you talk to people involved intimately with the hire, the more it makes sense, in my view. I will not argue with people that worry about sustaining staff members and hiring into the future. It is a legitimate thing to worry about. Des will prove that he can build a staff. Or he won't. Any hire would have inherent risk. I promise you, Maggard wanted to know his plan, his relationships and his potential incoming staff. It was a big part of Napier's hire. But again, the pro-Des camp can't castrate the people with concerns; the Des-curious camp can't trash the hire. We can discuss and SHOULD discuss it. But maybe let's try to meet in the middle on this one. The fact is, Mike will be questioned by plenty enough people. Maybe more than ever, this coach needs the diehards to support him in a fierce way.

I hope I don't get in trouble for this but ____ it. Seems like an appropriate time. GA assistants were interviewed. Glen Schumann and Lanning. Can't confirm Lebby, but the information that I got came from trustworthy place. Supposedly, he was interviewed (or was scheduled to interview). There were 2 others. Don't know the names. Mike Desormeaux just flat out blew the interview out of the water. He was recommended by Rob Sale (from what I understand, our first call) and by Billy Napier. We were able to keep our staff mostly in place because we retained Mike. Our current kids all support the hire and our recruiting class will stay in tact, relatively speaking, because we kept the staff. Toney and Juluke will hurt and they'll take some kids with them. But our relationships in state (because of Mike in large part), are in the best shape they've ever been. The infrastructure is in place. Ask App St how hiring from within has worked out. Ask Bama, Clemson, and Georgia how promoting from within goes. Good organizations breed good people. We have it.

But, the most immediate line of business: judging the Des hire on the Bowl game is completely unfair, IMO. So many moving parts to all of this right now. Marshall is a quality team and NOLA is NOLA. I hope we win the game, but I'm not going to say he "failed an exam." C'mon

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    The very LAST thing we need to be right now is a circular firing squad. The LAST thing we need right now is to all retreat to our corners and __________ post about the hire, or choke on Vermilion & White ding dong to back the hire.
    Mike Des shouldn't be a polarizing thing. But he is, and we all need to accept it. I can tell you, I had (and still have) some concerns. But the more you think about it, the more you talk to people involved intimately with the hire, the more it makes sense, in my view. I will not argue with people that worry about sustaining staff members and hiring into the future. It is a legitimate thing to worry about. Des will prove that he can build a staff. Or he won't. Any hire would have inherent risk. I promise you, Maggard wanted to know his plan, his relationships and his potential incoming staff. It was a big part of Napier's hire. But again, the pro-Des camp can't castrate the people with concerns; the Des-curious camp can't trash the hire. We can discuss and SHOULD discuss it. But maybe let's try to meet in the middle on this one. The fact is, Mike will be questioned by plenty enough people. Maybe more than ever, this coach needs the diehards to support him in a fierce way.

I hope I don't get in trouble for this but ____ it. Seems like an appropriate time. GA assistants were interviewed. Glen Schumann and Lanning. Can't confirm Lebby, but the information that I got came from trustworthy place. Supposedly, he was interviewed (or was scheduled to interview). There were 2 others. Don't know the names. Mike Desormeaux just flat out blew the interview out of the water. He was recommended by Rob Sale (from what I understand, our first call) and by Billy Napier. We were able to keep our staff mostly in place because we retained Mike. Our current kids all support the hire and our recruiting class will stay in tact, relatively speaking, because we kept the staff. Toney and Juluke will hurt and they'll take some kids with them. But our relationships in state (because of Mike in large part), are in the best shape they've ever been. The infrastructure is in place. Ask App St how hiring from within has worked out. Ask Bama, Clemson, and Georgia how promoting from within goes. Good organizations breed good people. We have it.

But, the most immediate line of business: judging the Des hire on the Bowl game is completely unfair, IMO. So many moving parts to all of this right now. Marshall is a quality team and NOLA is NOLA. I hope we win the game, but I'm not going to say he "failed an exam." C'mon
    Certainly can't judge the hire on the bowl game results either way. It's going to be a ____ storm of media and focus on transition in this time so who knows what to expect. I agree that we should have discussions about the hire. One question I have is you mentioned Des's recruiting in the state. This is one of my main concerns, overall recruiting. To be honest, I don't know who has done the bulk of our recruiting over the past few years so I'm looking for some guidance there. Has Des, in fact, been a big reason for the players we've brought in? If so, which areas does he focus on (I'd assume the state but)?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    The ville bringing the heat!
    Damn straight! I will support Mike the same way I supported Bustle, Hud, & Napier. He may come from Admiral Doyle, but we’re all Cajun brothers once we step on campus!

Good luck Mike Desormeaux. I have my concerns, I just hope we are not back to going 6-6 or 4-7 again. With that said good luck hopefully Maggard, Desormeaux, and coaching staff can keep it rolling but I have my doubts !

8. Default Re: Head Coach Mike Desormeaux

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Certainly can't judge the hire on the bowl game results either way. It's going to be a ____ storm of media and focus on transition in this time so who knows what to expect. I agree that we should have discussions about the hire. One question I have is you mentioned Des's recruiting in the state. This is one of my main concerns, overall recruiting. To be honest, I don't know who has done the bulk of our recruiting over the past few years so I'm looking for some guidance there. Has Des, in fact, been a big reason for the players we've brought in? If so, which areas does he focus on (I'd assume the state but)?
    Not 100% on his areas, but in the times I've been around him, he's mentioned Texas and Louisiana footprint almost every time. He's been on the road recruiting for this program for almost 7 years now. He was the grinder that really changed how we facilitated and maintained relationships with HS coaches around the state. He was able to build trust where bridges had been burned for years. One of the first things Maggard mentioned about Mike and why he got the job. His ability to build relationships. How often have you guys heard me say that? I really believe the biggest asset in collegiate coaching is organization and relationship building. Of course you have to know the game, but intangibly speaking, those two things matter most.

No one is doing that. We are questioning the methodology of his hiring. Very reasonable thing to do.

I doubt anyone here with legitimate questions will not support Des as coach. We just want questions answered. It's concerning that so many people just want to stop any questioning. Des is a big boy, he can handle doubt.

There it is. What people wanted to here, for the most part. Without any context, hiring Des reeks of fear or small time thinking. With context, if Des knocked the interview out the park and beat out all those names.that ticks a lot of boxes with me. Recommendations from Sale and Napier are nice to have, but I'd rather have Des blow the doors off established names we would be looking seriously to hire. Same with the players. Emotional connections are nice, but they don't drive the bus. Staff hires will make or break Des. I'm sure that was part of the interview, if not the main focus. If he's got a plan, let's give him what he needs to implement it.

Hiring from within can be a home run. Joe Paterno was an internal hire. No matter what his legacy is today, he built that program into a power house. My main concern with Des is that he wasn't ready. Maggard is a better judge of that than me, and everyone else on this board.

College football moves at the speed of light. Optics are optics. The players are behind him. The program is behind him. The fans are behind him. The die has been cast, beat Marshall. No excuses. Close the gate, let nothing else out. I expect to see a win, because he's got everything Napier had. This is a critical juncture in the future of this program. Show us exactly what Maggard saw.

The infrastructure is in place. Ask App St how hiring from within has son, and Georgia how promoting from within goes. Good organizations breed good people. We have it.
    Many businesses struggle with the promote from within or bring in outside blood so to speak. Some companies have developed policies to not allow middle management to be hired externally. The thinking is that if you aren't developing people internally to fulfill those roles you probably aren't running a very good business model. I believe that has merit. Billy Napier was an outside hire who came into the business and setup a completely different business model from prior leaders. It worked and now we have promoted from within because top management believes that we have people that were developed well enough to take over that leadership role. Only time will tell if that is true.

11. Default Re: Head Coach Mike Desormeaux

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    No one is doing that. We are questioning the methodology of his hiring. Very reasonable thing to do.

I doubt anyone here with legitimate questions will not support Des as coach. We just want questions answered. It's concerning that so many people just want to stop any questioning. Des is a big boy, he can handle doubt.

There it is. What people wanted to here, for the most part. Without any context, hiring Des reeks of fear or small time thinking. With context, if Des knocked the interview out the park and beat out all those names.that ticks a lot of boxes with me. Recommendations from Sale and Napier are nice to have, but I'd rather have Des blow the doors off established names we would be looking seriously to hire. Same with the players. Emotional connections are nice, but they don't drive the bus. Staff hires will make or break Des. I'm sure that was part of the interview, if not the main focus. If he's got a plan, let's give him what he needs to implement it.

Hiring from within can be a home run. Joe Paterno was an internal hire. No matter what his legacy is today, he built that program into a power house. My main concern with Des is that he wasn't ready. Maggard is a better judge of that than me, and everyone else on this board.

College football moves at the speed of light. Optics are optics. The players are behind him. The program is behind him. The fans are behind him. The die has been cast, beat Marshall. No excuses. Close the gate, let nothing else out. I expect to see a win, because he's got everything Napier had. This is a critical juncture in the future of this program. Show us exactly what Maggard saw.
    Can't disagree with much of this. Hope that didn't come off as preachy. You guys know me better than that. Just trying to bring this all to the middle. I want the discussion. I'm just hyper aware that this is a sensitive time for Mike, the program, and all of us really.

Best post since MAT's post to shut down the Flu thread. And it will probably be the best that (at least) I see on this board for some time.

Thanks, Hawk. Good stuff.

This is mostly fair Hawk. My only issue is why all of us wouldn't assume, based on past performance, that Maggard would REQUIRE whoever he hired to knock the interview out the park. That he would REQUIRE them to have a legitimate plan to fill the staff out. I mean, if that's the main concerns, I don't know what other information we can work off of this soon after the hire than to have confidence that Maggard knows what he is doing and would have already considered any legitimate angle we would. There are some fair concerns and questions being raised but at some point how many more times and in how many more ways do they need to be raised?

How well he hires will be answered when he hires. How well he game manages will be answered as he coaches. How well he recruits as the head guy will be answered over the next few years. Right now there is literally nothing anyone can say that will answer those questions and concerns. All we have is a world class AD that has made a decision. I feel comfortable trusting him on it, especially since I really have no other choice.

14. Default Re: Head Coach Mike Desormeaux

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    This is mostly fair Hawk. My only issue is why all of us wouldn't assume, based on past performance, that Maggard would REQUIRE whoever he hired to knock the interview out the park. That he would REQUIRE them to have a legitimate plan to fill the staff out. I mean, if that's the main concerns, I don't know what other information we can work off of this soon after the hire than to have confidence that Maggard knows what he is doing and would have already considered any legitimate angle we would. There are some fair concerns and questions being raised but at some point how many more times and in how many more ways do they need to be raised?

How well he hires will be answered when he hires. How well he game manages will be answered as he coaches. How well he recruits as the head guy will be answered over the next few years. Right now there is literally nothing anyone can say that will answer those questions and concerns. All we have is a world class AD that has made a decision. I feel comfortable trusting him on it, especially since I really have no other choice.
    Thanks K

Sure, everybody has the right and the freedom to say whatever they want on this board.

Everybody has the right and freedom to say whatever they want ever how many times they want to on this board.

Everybody has the right and freedom to say whatever they want in how many different ways they want on this board.

But should they . . .

I put the Des hire out there as early as I was consulted by the bird in the hopes that by the time it was announced, the board would have already lodged its objections, reconsidered the hire and sought the information to give our new couch the support he should have and deserved when he was announces.

Well . . . all I can now say to those that continue to feel the need, is . . .

WOW, ok . . .

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    RPCA will disagree

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst . 21 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast

Thread Information