Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Peak Attendance

Default Re: Peak Attendance

Winning is the most important thing, and always should be, that will get you a solid base. Coach Napier wins, but it is old-style football, which isn't the attention grabber of other styles.

To draw the biggest crowds, at the G5 level, you need a winning program with an exciting offense, playing good competition. The UL offense was ranked 93rd in scoring this season.

The next level for the Cajuns is to keep winning 10+ games a season, win championships AND do so as a Top 25 offense.

Cincinnati seats 37,978 in their stadium so yeah an oversized stadium doesn't contribute to a program's success. Renovated Cajun Field will work fine somewhere around 34-35,000 capacity including the new suites, club seating, picnic areas, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Usually winning gets them in the stadium, but apparently not.
    This is a great thread. I wouldn't be so sure the winning isn't working though. Hud's last year we never hit 19,000 for a game. Billy's first game we hit 28,866 for Grambling (huge number of non-Cajun fans), and the next highest crowd was Homecoming (18,131). 2019 we managed to top 20k once (on a weekday). This year we topped 25k 3 times, and 4/7 home games were above 20k. It's working. Just not at the pace or with the magnitude most of us would like.

This very well may be our peak, and that would be okay. The renovated stadium will suit us well and cut down on some unneeded seating. The difference between the renovated stadium and what we probably need is about 5k. I'm alright with that. I'm much more concerned with consistent rather than peak attendance. Mid twenties average would be a nice step.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    That is one of the most important things about yesterday….and I don’t think it gets mentioned enough. Virtually all of that attendance were UL fans. Bring in a team that has equal or better brand-name, plus also able to bring more fans and 35-40k is very doable.
    Totally agree, it really hurts that we don’t get much attendance from visiting teams in the Sun Belt. Southern Miss should bring a good crowd hopefully. Also why do we never see visiting teams bring bands anymore. A band would have filled out that visiting corner. Seems like for a Championship game a band could travel. Too expensive I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun55 View Post
    Totally agree, it really hurts that we don’t get much attendance from visiting teams in the Sun Belt. Southern Miss should bring a good crowd hopefully. Also why do we never see visiting teams bring bands anymore. A band would have filled out that visiting corner. Seems like for a Championship game a band could travel. Too expensive I guess.
    Just curious, is there any school in the country who brings their band to more than 2 or 3 games? Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    Just curious, is there any school in the country who brings their band to more than 2 or 3 games? Anyone know?
    My nephew is a senior in the Texas Aggie band. They usually bring a spirit band to most road SEC games, but they do not march.

I know a group of 4 who went in and their tickets never got scanned.

Also, good thing more didn’t show up. Concessions were running out, AGAIN.

8. Default Re: Peak Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by CajunConnection View Post
    Announced over 31 thousand but looked a whole lot more to me
    🏈
    And sounded like 60k!

Quote Originally Posted by OrlandeauxCajun View Post
    And sounded like 60k!
    This! It wasn’t just a big crowd, but a really engaged one….loud throughout the game, esp on 3rd downs. Just made my day, as much for myself and the city, but especially for the team.

Had the chance to ask a few folks in D1 & D2 that I didn't recognize about their thoughts on the game. One group of 5 were from the St Martinsville area, graduated in the Baldwin / Bustle years, and a couple who had followed this season thru tv games. The CCG compelled them to come in person. I would surprised if some of them dont attend some next year. They were really in to the game.

I had a similar conversation with 2 other small groups.

Also we brought 3 couples who regularly follow the Tigers. They had a ball.

Obviously not a scientific poll, but I wouldn't consider this a disappointment. We exposed a lot of additional folks to the cULture.

Quote Originally Posted by TravlnCajun View Post
    Had the chance to ask a few folks in D1 & D2 that I didn't recognize about their thoughts on the game. One group of 5 were from the St Martinsville area, graduated in the Baldwin / Bustle years, and a couple who had followed this season thru tv games. The CCG compelled them to come in person. I would surprised if some of them dont attend some next year. They were really in to the game.

I had a similar conversation with 2 other small groups.

Also we brought 3 couples who regularly follow the Tigers. They had a ball.

Obviously not a scientific poll, but I wouldn't consider this a disappointment. We exposed a lot of additional folks to the cULture.
    We had several of the same experience…mostly with local people who it had been years since they had been to CF. There was also a group from near ruston, who are related to someone in our group. One son goes to laturd, and a daughter just started at UL….the son was there with 3 of his frat buddies. The parents are in LOVE with the dorm the daughter is in…the rose garden, cuz it’s so close to the Union etc., so they feel she is safe. The bro’s were in love with all the women, lol. But they were all blown away with game, the fans, the tailgating under the oak and in the Tigue, the excitement, etc.

I’m telling y’all yesterday was a huge day for us, on a bunch of levels.

12. Default Re: Peak Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    This! It wasn’t just a big crowd, but a really engaged one….loud throughout the game, esp on 3rd downs. Just made my day, as much for myself and the city, but especially for the team.
    …..I love to ask these questions to our RP herd…..is the crowd noise actually louder because of the stadium being bowled and so low?

Quote Originally Posted by OrlandeauxCajun View Post
    And sounded like 60k!
    For those who couldn't make the game and had to listen on the radio*, Jay & Gerald were loving it.

*I had the TV on mute... it was fun, I knew what was going to happen from the tube, so got a kick out of their reactions. And BTW, they got a bit emotional in the post-game.

Perhaps in this coming decade we will start to average over 30K per home game with peaks at 40K+.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    …..I love to ask these questions to our RP herd…..is the crowd noise actually louder because of the stadium being bowled and so low?
    Maybe a bit, but face it, people here are just more demonstrative than at other places. Cajuns & Creoles ain't WASPs, they just love cuttin' up.

One guy who was a manager in the '80's said that once when we were hosting LTU, we were defending against a goal-line stand. He was down on the field, said it was like people beating on his chest. He thought that if we ever get 60K, we'll put Huey P. Long dormitory to shame.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information