Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Thread: Marlin and the season

Default Re: Marlin and the season

Quote Originally Posted by mxpxfr690 View Post
    Truly most basketball teams only should care about 3 days in march…. A majority of schools will have zero shot of making the dance based on regular season performance… A coach now needs to build a team to compete in tournaments…. Because we have a 27-6 team and still could not get an at large to the dance. NCAA is crooked as ____.
    We had a 27-6 team that lost every significant non-conference game and played far too weak a non-conference schedule in general to have any hope of getting an at large bid. The NCAA didn't cheat that team; Marlin did. Not that the NCAA was going to cut us any slack, no matter what, but in 2018 both the Mountain West and American had teams who got at-large bids, as did teams from the A-10 and Big East [I don't consider the latter 2 to be "mid-major" conferences]. Those teams got in because they emphasize basketball and schedule non-conference accordingly, and win. Having 0 quad 1 and very few quad 2 wins won't get you in.

Truly most basketball teams only should care about 3 days in march…. A majority of schools will have zero shot of making the dance based on regular season performance… A coach now needs to build a team to compete in tournaments…. Because we have a 27-6 team and still could not get an at large to the dance. NCAA is crooked as ____.
    I've had this argument over and over with some here so I won't do it again but I want no part of a program who's only goal is 3 games in March.

Well, there have been teams with better records than 27-6 not invited at large due to the ____ty conference they’re in. SBC isn’t a basketball conference. The SBC is now a bottom feeder conference in MBB and WBB.

It’s the what is now the annual get rid of Marlin campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Well, there have been teams with better records than 27-6 not invited at large due to the ____ty conference they’re in. SBC isn’t a basketball conference. The SBC is now a bottom feeder conference in MBB and WBB.

It’s the what is now the annual get rid of Marlin campaign.
    Then it should be easy to win
    It

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Then it should be easy to win
    It
    It’s not a conference priority. Georgia State is bell cow for MBB. They’ve had some good runs in the last decade yet they’ve stubbed their toe in the SBC tournament.

And it’s not a priority anywhere else in the league. Look in the mirror, almost all our time, money and effort goes into football. Even baseball is a shell of itself compared to 5-10 years ago.

To this point I can agree with time for a change. But, other than softball, we have other sports that are languishing. It’s not just a MBB problem. It’s a cULture problem.

6. Default Re: Marlin and the season

It’s not a conference priority. Georgia State is bell cow for MBB. They’ve had some good runs in the last decade yet they’ve stubbed their toe in the SBC tournament.

And it’s not a priority anywhere else in the league. Look in the mirror, almost all our time, money and effort goes into football. Even baseball is a shell of itself compared to 5-10 years ago.

To this point I can agree with time for a change. But, other than softball, we have other sports that are languishing. It’s not just a MBB problem. It’s a cULture problem.
    Mens basketball is the only team sport with a huge upside in money and prestige.

Don’t let your lack of interest fool you into believing we’re not hurting ourselves. It’s a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    You should know in wrestling you NEVER say NEVER.
    Stop hedging your bets so you can be the one to tell the board I told you so if it actually happens. But that PROBABLY won’t happen, right?

#MalinMustGo

We pump more money into baseball than we have at any point in history. probably more than 80% of D1 teams. The recruiting game had passed us by and we have to catch back up.

Basketball that's coaching because on paper you have the most talent and it's not close. It took 2 NBA players for Marlin to win more than 1 game in the SBC tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    Sorry, this kind of thread just makes our program look so small and our Fanbase look so petty.
    So its just this thread? This whole board makes us look petty.. but this is a fan board.

I'm not trying to scoop anyone. I don't know chit other than I'm a 10+ year season ticket holder and I'm ready for a change. See you Thursday night...

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    A little bird just told me that Marlin told a few folks that by mid season he will probably resign. Sounds like a cop out before officially getting canned. After Dr. Maggard makes the football hire the MBB program will be the next priority. Stay tuned folks.
    It's about damn time.

We have all of the resources to win the conference. Even our coach said it a few years ago. "These teams come in, and we are the standard." We have a state-of-the-art arena. We have a fan base that is loyal. Even now, we have a good number of fans who donate money and will go to every game even if we are 0-30. We also have a roster right now that is probably the deepest and most talented in the league which should make it easier for us to win in it. Yet, we sit at 8-7 including a loss to Jackson State.

When the program has won more than 1 conference tournament game just once in 11 years, that's not a conference problem. That's internal.

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    See you Thursday night...
    ^^^^THIS.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    We have all of the resources to win the conference. Even our coach said it a few years ago. "These teams come in, and we are the standard." We have a state-of-the-art arena. We have a fan base that is loyal. Even now, we have a good number of fans who donate money and will go to every game even if we are 0-30. We also have a roster right now that is probably the deepest and most talented in the league which should make it easier for us to win in it. Yet, we sit at 8-7 including a loss to Jackson State.

When the program has won more than 1 conference tournament game just once in 11 years, that's not a conference problem. That's internal.
    BINGO

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Thread Information