Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Marlin and the season

1. Default Re: Marlin and the season

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I have been as big a critic of Marlin in recent years as anyone. Having said that I do think he's a good man and his values and way he runs a program are what have kept him in the coaches seat for so long when I think it would have been justified to find a replacement several years ago. Having said that, I hate to see the program in the state its in and sometimes its just time to move on. I certainly hope the rumors are true this time but it still can set us back a bit with the current roster and would need a complete rebuild. I'm willing to take that chance and thank Marlin for what he's done here at the same time.
    We absolutely don’t need a complete rebuild. A couple quality point guards, a couple shooting guards. We’re good at 4,5,3.

Default Re: Marlin and the season

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    We absolutely don’t need a complete rebuild. A couple quality point guards, a couple shooting guards. We’re good at 4,5,3.
    You're assuming they will stay. Who knows how many of them will hit the transfer portal? They could leave us with little.

3. Default Re: Marlin and the season

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    You're assuming they will stay. Who knows how many of them will hit the transfer portal? They could leave us with little.
    Not sure a "complete rebuild" should be enacted ahead of need, even though your comment is based on a real possibility.

And basketball on both sides just got harder with conference expansion. We can have an outstanding OOC schedule and perfect OOC record, but the league sucks as far as overall commitment. The league has to quit losing freaking play in games for starters.

Thanks for your service and memories CBM, it was time for both sides.

6. Default Re: Marlin and the season

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    The league has to quit losing freaking play in games for starters.
    I would rather go winless against the top-8 ranked teams OOC for a few years than play the DII schools.

Reason: Eventually you will learn how to beat them, and the reputation of anybody anywhere will help recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I would rather go winless against the top-8 ranked teams OOC for a few years than play the DII schools.

Reason: Eventually you will learn how to beat them, and the reputation of anybody anywhere will help recruiting.
    Agree with you, but one of the SWAC teams did something similar to this a few years ago, Texas Southern I think. No home games until conference. Did it help their profile? Still view them as a SWAC team, no different than the rest.

8. Default Re: Marlin and the season

According to a poster here we’ve gotta have so many home games, and to get good ones a big payday is required!

Not sure how the conference is going to upgrade OOCG. I’m thinking most of the coaches in the SBC like padding the resume. They’re just looking for a bigger job

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Not sure how the conference is going to upgrade OOCG. I’m thinking most of the coaches in the SBC like padding the resume. They’re just looking for a bigger job
    This^. Along with the power conferences figured out playing each other OOC keeps the money with the cabal.

Hopeful it's not family related.

I respect Coach Marlin for doing this......I would guess a compromise on final payout is doable. Being like this we can thank Bob for his service to UL.....AND allow Coach to walk away with dignity. Win-win

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Agree with you, but one of the SWAC teams did something similar to this a few years ago, Texas Southern I think. No home games until conference. Did it help their profile? Still view them as a SWAC team, no different than the rest.
    Yes, Johnny Jones (former N.Texas & LSU) is their coach. He had a tough OOC schedule and he ended up winning his conference, conference tournament and 1st round NCAA tournament game. His team went 17-9 and lost to Michigan in the 2nd round.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    A little bird just told me that Marlin told a few folks that by mid season he will probably resign. Sounds like a cop out before officially getting canned. After Dr. Maggard makes the football hire the MBB program will be the next priority. Stay tuned folks.
    Hit the road Jack. Marlin completely lost me when he ran his mouth pre-LSU NIT game, then lost it. He had a chance to beat a disinterested team and got them engaged to beat his own ass. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Add to that the constant decline of the program and it has been passed time.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    Thanks for your service and memories CBM, it was time for both sides.
    I wish I was as certain this is not just rumor and we could truly be speaking in past tense but I won't get too excited until we hear a confirmation.

I don't think he is resigning midseason.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information