Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Contract buyout question

1. Default Re: Contract buyout question

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Football will be forced to sit on the money and allocate it for future years.

If they spend it all in one season it would be the worse possible thing for long term program health.

If banks operated like you suggest there would be no banks.

Getting basketball back on its feet with money that otherwise would just be sitting there provides the best possible return on investment with football being the biggest winner long term
    Banks tell businesses every day that they need to divest, close different assets not performing.

Basketball isn’t a US Treasury bond with the faith and backing of the entire country. Giving, loaning them seed money is a high risk investment based on 50 plus years history.

You keep saying the alleged 3 million will
    A: be dead money waiting to be spent on football
    B: be wasted on one time expenditure for football

Neither are true. There’s an inflationary pressure on coaches, equipment, and maintaining. An investment in so many needed things for football isn’t wasted.

I’m a basketball guy first, but I’m seeing nothing from Maggard that suggests he’s above average basketball AD.

2. Default Re: Contract buyout question

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Banks tell businesses every day that they need to divest, close different assets not performing.

Basketball isn’t a US Treasury bond with the faith and backing of the entire country. Giving, loaning them seed money is a high risk investment based on 50 plus years history.

You keep saying the alleged 3 million will
    A: be dead money waiting to be spent on football
    B: be wasted on one time expenditure for football

Neither are true. There’s an inflationary pressure on coaches, equipment, and maintaining. An investment in so many needed things for football isn’t wasted.

I’m a basketball guy first, but I’m seeing nothing from Maggard that suggests he’s above average basketball AD.
    If it's not recurring money, only a fool would spend it on recurring expenses.

3. Default Re: Contract buyout question

By hiring top notch young up and coming coaches, we can make this recurring money . . .

4. Default Re: Contract buyout question

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    By hiring top notch young up and coming coaches, we can make this recurring money . . .
    If you stay successful yes, then only if you spread it out over 4 years.

So using a portion of the idle money on a guaranteed return on investment becomes prudent.

5. Default Re: Contract buyout question

If you stay successful yes, then only if you spread it out over 4 years.

So using a portion of the idle money on a guaranteed return investment becomes prudent.
    Nobody thought Napier would last 4 years, the next one probably won’t.

Default Re: Contract buyout question

BTW, has anyone seen what his new salary will be? I've looked but can't find it. That's information that is usually well-known by this time after a big hire.

Hope this is not true. We don't want to fall into the same situation that Arkansas State had with 4 coaches in 4 years! that is why they are were they are now.

8. Default Re: Contract buyout question

Quote Originally Posted by mgv6260 View Post
    Hope this is not true. We don't want to fall into the same situation that Arkansas State had with 4 coaches in 4 years! that is why they are were they are now.
    If we hire good ones, it is not likely but that could possibly happen now. The cupboard is full and if it continues to remain full, there may be no turn around time needed by each new coach to win big and fill his resume for the next job.

9. Default Re: Contract buyout question

Don't gamble good money away.

A healthy basketball program that pays for itself is more doable than relying on a football coach getting hired away every so many years.

10. Default Re: Contract buyout question

Don't gamble good money away.

A healthy basketball program that pays for itself is more doable than relying on a football coach getting hired away every so many years.
    Oh, I’m for fixing basketball now to create another revenue source which is not there now.

Quote Originally Posted by mgv6260 View Post
    Napier left in 4 years (but could have been 2 or 3) because of a) his pedigree and b) his extreme success while here. People that have both are few and far between. I expect most successful coaches will be here 5-8 years in the future.

12. Default Re: Contract buyout question

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    Napier left in 4 years (but could have been 2 or 3) because of a) his pedigree and b) his extreme success while here. People that have both are few and far between. I expect most successful coaches will be here 5-8 years in the future.
    Maggard will not consider the hire a success if he is here that long . . .

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    I don’t know about that. Remember when stAte lost coaches 3-4 years in a row? If Napier does well at UF, I could see us losing a couple coaches very quickly assuming they produce wins

Sort of like our State government!!!

WKU did it

For basketball.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information