Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Contract buyout question

Default Re: Contract buyout question

There is no way that happens

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    1) If you use all of the $3 million next year for football you hurt the next 10 years because you can't sustain $3m per year.

2) If sit on the funds and do nothing you hurt football forever.

3) If you loan basketball a small portion to fix operations. The athletic dept as a whole will reap the entire money back, and many times over.

In the end, the football budget will grow because basketball isn't dragging it down like it is now.
    As a season ticket holder to both sports (and baseball) I agree with this to a certain extent. However, I don't think it should be the football programs responsibility to fix the basketball program! But if that is what it takes to get the basketball program even just back to average, I would support it.

A couple of million helps with the stadium overhaul.

4. Default Re: Contract buyout question

Robbing Peter to pay Paul has always been a no, no, however his name is Bob . . .

5. Default Re: Contract buyout question

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Robbing Peter to pay Paul has always been a no, no, however his name is Bob . . .
    So football doesn't drive the bus, it just has a few sports thrown under it.

The little thang that "reads" sports news between segments on The Lame this am mentioned the buyout was 30M. That was on the RPEE3 show.

All in on football until we reach NY bowl. I think the last 4 years commitment to football has already helped all Cajun sports with recruiting and name recognition. The next hire is crucial to continuing the momentum.

8. Default Re: Contract buyout question

Basketball has the potential for huge payback for this university. It’s not up to football, baseball, or softball to supplement a horribly run program. In business basketball would have been liquidated or shut down because regardless of the potential it’s just a big money pit.

9. Default Re: Contract buyout question

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Basketball has the potential for huge payback for this university. It’s not up to football, baseball, or softball to supplement a horribly run program. In business basketball would have been liquidated or shut down because regardless of the potential it’s just a big money pit.
    Kick the ball down the road if you like.

I never took you for a Marlin lifeline.

10. Default Re: Contract buyout question

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Kick the ball down the road if you like.

I never took you for a Marlin lifeline.
    I’m just not going to take football money to fix basketball. I’m sorry we’re still with this guy going on 12 years. His days are numbered. Basketball has to be a booth-strap or a silver spoon.

Florida has 4 non-conference games already booked through 2026. Not saying its not true, I've never heard of a home & home as part of the buyout.

09/03 - Utah
    09/17 - USF
    10/01 - Eastern Washington
    11/26 - at Florida State

09/02 - at Utah (or 08/31)
    09/09 - McNeese
    09/23 - Charlotte
    11/25 - Florida State

08/31 - Miami (FL)
    09/07 - Samford
    10/05 - UCF
    11/30 - at Florida State

09/06 - USF
    09/20 - at Miami (FL)
    10/11 - Florida A&M
    11/29 - Florida State

09/05 - at NC State
    09/12 - Campbell
    09/19 - California
    11/28 - at Florida State

09/04 - at California
    11/27 - Florida State

I’d relegate it to the same treatment Track & Field and those types of sports get.

Football, baseball and softball driving the bus.

13. Default Re: Contract buyout question

I’m just not going to take football money to fix basketball. I’m sorry we’re still with this guy going on 12 years. His days are numbered. Basketball has to be a booth-strap or a silver spoon.
    Basketball is draining athletic funds already. If a small fix can turn that aground, it will be good for the whole athletic program. Smart people do some things sometimes . . . Face it, basketball is the biggest opportunity to provide repeating revenue at this juncture because attendance is so low now . . .

14. Default Re: Contract buyout question

Football will be forced to sit on the money and allocate it for future years.

If they spend it all in one season it would be the worse possible thing for long term program health.

If banks operated like you suggest there would be no banks.

Getting basketball back on its feet with money that otherwise would just be sitting there provides the best possible return on investment with football being the biggest winner long term

15. Default Re: Contract buyout question

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingCajun08 View Post
    I've never heard of a home & home as part of the buyout.
    WKU did it

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information