Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Should Marlin Still Be Our HC?

Default Re: Why Should Marlin Still Be Our HC?

He is a nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    He is a nice guy.
    Nice guys finish last

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post
    The guy makes between $550K and $600K and wasn’t exactly making chump change before the new contract. It’s time to go. Way past time to go. He’s flat out stealing money given his results.
    This has been one of my arguments for his dismissal for some time. He's the highest paid coach in our league and results certainly do not warrant that type of compensation. His winning percentage is 57% playing a brutally weak schedule in a mediocre basketball conference and that percentage was boosted by the great year in 2018. It was around 53% before that. That's not very impressive considering our schedule is terrible, he has no real notable wins outside of Iowa and the program just tends to stay in the same spot year to year. He does just enough to not get fired but has accomplished absolutely nothing of substance here. For the results we are getting, its worth getting rid of him and hiring an up and comer at a lower price with little risk.

Sounds like mbb version of Bustle. Maybe we'll get a basketball Hud that can fire up the fanbase next.

Quote Originally Posted by FeelDaRage View Post
    Sounds like mbb version of Bustle. Maybe we'll get a basketball Hud that can fire up the fanbase next.
    Except Bob did not raise the standard of his predecessors; he lowered it pretty significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by FeelDaRage View Post
    Have to get people caring about basketball first. I use to know up and coming coaches years back, today not a clue. I’m so out of touch, other than UL stuff and Gonzaga blowing the doors out on UCLA, can’t tell you anything about this season.

And the pay issue, a man gets paid what someone is willing to pay. See Brian Kelly, he’ll happily explain that. Unless you’re personally contributing a large chunk towards such payments, even in Bob’s case, those in charge of writing the check will continue to until the whale donors say stop. Otherwise, a lot of urinating in a hurricane.

If a coach isn't winning 1st round NCAA tournament games after 10 years, he has to go.

I would love to see Dr. Maggard go after the following guys.

1. Alabama MBB assistant, Charlie Henry
    2. Houston MBB assistant(HC in waiting),
    Kellen Sampson

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux View Post
    If a coach isn't winning 1st round NCAA tournament games after 10 years, he has to go.

Kellen Sampson
    I don't think Sampson is leaving Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux View Post

Kellen Sampson
    OU assistant David Patrick.

Time to look at the numbers when it comes to the men's basketball program under Coach Marlin.

Overall Record
    208-155 (57.3%)

Conference Record
    119-82 (59.2%)

Conference Tournament Record
    10-10 (50%)

Postseason Record
    4-5 (44.44%) [0-1 NCAA]

Record Against P-5
    1-19 (5%)

Record Against In-State D1 Non-Conference
    28-8 (77.78%)

Non-D1 Record
    27-1 (96.43%)

Here's the numbers that show the program has plateaued and it's time for a change. According to the website, the basketball program began increasing staff in year 4 adding another Assistant Coach, Basketball Ops, & Video Coordinator.

Staff continued to increase and in year 7 added Assistant Director of Athletic Training, Assistant S&C Coach, Administrative Assistant, then later Academic Counselor, Sports Nutrition, Graduate Assistant, & Student Managers. So, lets look at the Years 1-6 compared to 7-12.

Overall Record
    Years 1-6: 107-92 (53.77%)
    Years 7-12: 101-63 (61.59%)

In State D-1 Non-Conference
    Years 1-6: 8-6 (57.14%)
    Years 7-12: 20-2 (90.91%)

Conference Record
    Years 1-6: 65-45 (59.09%)
    Years 7-12: 54-37 (59.34%)

Basically, increasing our budget and more than doubling our basketball staff has made us the top G5 in Louisiana when it comes to head-to-head records. We still can't win P-5 games, can't win the conference, and can't make the NCAA tournament. Yes, it's time for a change.

I care about B-ball. I would like to see the Cajuns winning the west and competing (really competing) for the Conference Championship every season. A consistent 23-win season would also be in order. 20 wins won’t get us to the dance without the conference tournament trophy

12. Default Re: Why Should Marlin Still Be Our HC?

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    Time to look at the numbers when it comes to the men's basketball program under Coach Marlin.
    Thanks for compiling the numbers cjr3888.

Unbelievable mediocrity.

But they always play Louisiana like it is their super bowl. Give The Big Fish a break.

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    But they always play Louisiana like it is their super bowl...
    If he is still saying this....

Starting to remind me of "Death of a Salesman"

I’m the exact fan the Ragin Review was talking about the other day. I used to go to most home games while in school but now not really a follower of basketball until the tournament. I remember about halfway through both of the last games the Cajuns were playing and since I have the plus app I figured I would tune in but when I saw we were getting blown out I put on anything on Netflix instead.

Too many “best Cajun team ever” statements that never materialized have marginalized me as a fan. I’d like to be a fan but just have too many other obligations to waste my time on a barely average team.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information