Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Self Absorbed Fans

Default Re: Self Absorbed Fans

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I liked Saban’s comments.

But I’ll say this.. People watch games and experience “fandom” differently. Just because people who comment on performance or how the game played out in a critical way, doesn’t mean they “expect” or “don’t understand” that humans play the game. When you sell a product as high stakes athletics, you are actively recruiting fans that have no ties to the university, the players themselves or the overall mission of the athletics department. They don’t watch the games like we do. They are usually just commenting on the players and games based on what they’ve seen in other places (usually top level CFB or NFL). Also, projecting ahead to how those players and performances will affect games in the future.

We spend too much time here telling fans how to be fans.
    Your statement is correct. Look for the critics who use the word "I" a lot. Those are the self absorbed, entitled ones.

2. Default Re: Self Absorbed Fans

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    Your statement is correct. Look for the critics who use the word "I" a lot. Those are the self absorbed, entitled ones.
    Agree.

3. Default Re: Self Absorbed Fans

had some pumpkn pe yesterday t was good.

Geaux Lousana

First time I met Nick Saban was at a grand opening of a Home Depot. He could have had a bad attitude; for sure, he had better things to do as the brand new coach at Louisiana State. Thought I would get a few quotes, write my story, and get on with my evening. But first, I had to ask him if I could get a story from him. He didn’t have to do that, either. But he asked me to hang around until he was done with his promotional appearance. Told him I would wait.

He signed autographs, made small talk; it wasn’t fun for him. He didn’t look like he would have rather have been anywhere else, but he probably would have preferred that. And I waited and watched for an hour. When he was done, I asked if he still wanted to talk, if he would prefer if I called him tomorrow. He said no. He asked if I had a deadline. I told him yes, but the story could wait. He said he had a job, I had a job, and he pulled up a chair. Totally professional of him. We finished up in five minutes. And I learned a lot about who he is.

What every self-absorbed fan, journalist, and casual observer should know is that every coach at this level has a master’s degree in education. They have 70 or more hours of professional education, more than half of which are at the graduate level. They had to pass a four part national licensing exam and get certified to teach.

Yes, some coaches can make unusually large amounts of money, but they never lose sight of what they actually make, which is a difference in the lives of students. That’s what I think Coach Saban is expressing in that rant. It’s about his students. It’s about what is actually important in their lives.

Billy Napier knows that, too. Want to know why everyone who has worked with Coach Saban, every student he has taught, every equipment manager, and everyone in the program respects him? That’s why.

And it’s why I have so much respect for Coach Billy Napier. Ask anyone who works in the Louisiana football program. Yes, the word is that Billy gets what Billy wants. But it is not about him. He is pushing the people around him to give 100% because self-discipline not self-absorption, is the only thing that makes us better.

UL Football Re: Self Absorbed Fans

Totally agree with Saban about the players and coaches. I’m not so sure about the fans. Yes there’s a lot of bad fans, but most not.

It’s one thing to express frustration if LL misses a pass that most good high school quarterbacks make. It’s really not okay to say he’s awful why don’t they sit him.

At the same time, and it’s no-ones fault, the fans are treated like a hooker’s John by the institutions. Don’t pay and you’re gone and forgotten. Don’t pay enough and lose your seats you paid for fifty seasons good and bad.

The fans have been trained to expect more, whatever more is, with their money. That’s the ugly part about fans and the institutions.

Finally the players and coaches also have created a new first attitude. We see it all the time with early walk away from contracts with a new shiny job, and transfer portal because they can get a better date now than when they signed up, or not enough playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I liked Saban’s comments.

But I’ll say this.. People watch games and experience “fandom” differently. Just because people who comment on performance or how the game played out in a critical way, doesn’t mean they “expect” or “don’t understand” that humans play the game. When you sell a product as high stakes athletics, you are actively recruiting fans that have no ties to the university, the players themselves or the overall mission of the athletics department. They don’t watch the games like we do. They are usually just commenting on the players and games based on what they’ve seen in other places (usually top level CFB or NFL). Also, projecting ahead to how those players and performances will affect games in the future.

We spend too much time here telling fans how to be fans.
    The right to express an opinion how you like (to be a fan however you want) doesn’t go with the right to be shielded from mockery when what you say is self absorbed, repetitively histrionic, or just plain stupid.

Nick is gonna leave Alabama and come coach UL until he retires. He wants to finish out his career enjoying coaching again without all the pressure. He's gonna out recruit LSU and build them to the premier school in the state, and into the CFB playoff. And then.......Im gonna wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    Nick is gonna leave Alabama and come coach UL until he retires. He wants to finish out his career enjoying coaching again without all the pressure. He's gonna out recruit LSU and build them to the premier school in the state, and into the CFB playoff. And then.......Im gonna wake up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-ifjIAoleI

Quote Originally Posted by Louisiana84 View Post
    First time I met Nick Saban was at a grand opening of a Home Depot. He could have had a bad attitude; for sure, he had better things to do as the brand new coach at Louisiana State. Thought I would get a few quotes, write my story, and get on with my evening. But first, I had to ask him if I could get a story from him. He didn’t have to do that, either. But he asked me to hang around until he was done with his promotional appearance. Told him I would wait.

He signed autographs, made small talk; it wasn’t fun for him. He didn’t look like he would have rather have been anywhere else, but he probably would have preferred that. And I waited and watched for an hour. When he was done, I asked if he still wanted to talk, if he would prefer if I called him tomorrow. He said no. He asked if I had a deadline. I told him yes, but the story could wait. He said he had a job, I had a job, and he pulled up a chair. Totally professional of him. We finished up in five minutes. And I learned a lot about who he is.

What every self-absorbed fan, journalist, and casual observer should know is that every coach at this level has a master’s degree in education. They have 70 or more hours of professional education, more than half of which are at the graduate level. They had to pass a four part national licensing exam and get certified to teach.

Yes, some coaches can make unusually large amounts of money, but they never lose sight of what they actually make, which is a difference in the lives of students. That’s what I think Coach Saban is expressing in that rant. It’s about his students. It’s about what is actually important in their lives.

Billy Napier knows that, too. Want to know why everyone who has worked with Coach Saban, every student he has taught, every equipment manager, and everyone in the program respects him? That’s why.

And it’s why I have so much respect for Coach Billy Napier. Ask anyone who works in the Louisiana football program. Yes, the word is that Billy gets what Billy wants. But it is not about him. He is pushing the people around him to give 100% because self-discipline not self-absorption, is the only thing that makes us better.
    Well said! Glad you shared!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    Well said! Glad you shared!
    ….Who we’re you working for at that time?

Billy was asked during a zoom call Wednesday if any player had talked about "opting out" of a bowl game, specifically the guys who are going to all-star games. Billy said "if someone is thinking like that, they'll have to deal with me."

12. Default Re: Self Absorbed Fans

Billy was asked during a zoom call Wednesday if any player had talked about "opting out" of a bowl game, specifically the guys who are going to all-star games. Billy said "if someone is thinking like that, they'll have to deal with me."
    A lot of layers to that exchange.

Well, sounds like he will be coaching the Cajuns for our bowl game.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Well, sounds like he will be coaching the Cajuns for our bowl game.
    Well, not necessarily. He could ream them remotely.

Ain't no "opting out" in the cULture lingo...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information