Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 115

Thread: SB News

  1. #46

    Default Re: SB News

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    Ummm you could go beat your head against a brick wall or just put reality check on ignore since admin will do nothing about getting rid of the trolls around here. Everytime this guy gets quoted and responded to you fulfill one of his fantasies in life.
    Why, because I would like to see talent developed instead of quick fixes through the portal and have girls told "sorry, I know I recruited you but I can get this senior in the portal to come in for a year who can maybe help more than you can and I need your money so you got to go". That plan has worked out pretty good so far hasn't it? Troll? I am a big supporter of UL softball but I don't blow smoke up their (sorry, I'm acting like a child) like many on here do. Got 3 chairback season tickets and have had them for years. Used to be a member of the stadium club when they had it. How about you pal?

  2. #47

    Default Re: SB News

    This is getting interesting . . .


  3. #48

    Default Re: SB News

    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
    Why, because I would like to see talent developed instead of quick fixes through the portal and have girls told "sorry, I know I recruited you but I can get this senior in the portal to come in for a year who can maybe help more than you can and I need your money so you got to go". That plan has worked out pretty good so far hasn't it? Troll? I am a big supporter of UL softball but I don't blow smoke up their (sorry, I'm acting like a child) like many on here do. Got 3 chairback season tickets and have had them for years. Used to be a member of the stadium club when they had it. How about you pal?
    Well, me and my family have chairbacks also. What section do you sit in? Join the Centerfield club and enjoy.

  4. #49

    Default Re: SB News

    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
    Why, because I would like to see talent developed instead of quick fixes through the portal and have girls told "sorry, I know I recruited you but I can get this senior in the portal to come in for a year who can maybe help more than you can and I need your money so you got to go". That plan has worked out pretty good so far hasn't it? Troll? I am a big supporter of UL softball but I don't blow smoke up their (sorry, I'm acting like a child) like many on here do. Got 3 chairback season tickets and have had them for years. Used to be a member of the stadium club when they had it. How about you pal?
    I also would like to see talent develop and a core group of kids stay together. The teams that are elite every year have a core group of kids and use a transfer here and their to fill a gap. Most of the time it is an elite pitcher. A quick question for you. Four kids have entered the portal so who exactly has Coach Glasco brought it to replace them since you say they are being told transfers are coming in to replace them?

  5. #50

    Default Re: SB News

    Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Well me and my family have chairbacks also. What section do you sit in? Join the Centerfield club.
    Everything you post here is me AND . . . Never ever is there anything posted about you . . . One has to wonder . . .

  6. #51
    roarman's Avatar roarman is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

    Default Re: SB News

    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
    Compare the number of transfers that Gasso has taken from roster years 2018 to 2022 to that which Glasco has taken. I'll make it easy for you. Shown here broken down by roster year is the number of transfers taken in by UL and OK. Feel free to check the numbers. 2018: UL - 6, OK - 3; 2019: UL - 8, Ok - 1; 2020: UL - 5, OK - 1; 2021: UL - 7, OK - 1; 2022 - UL - 5, OK - 2. The evidence is overwhelming that Glasco looks to build his roster through the portal. I always maintained that there is nothing wrong with that. I have also said that if I was a parent of a student-athlete that he was recruiting, unless I was a Top 10 recruit who had some bargaining power, I would think twice about signing a National Letter of Intent to play for UL based upon Glasco's propensity to use the portal.
    It's pretty easy for a coach who has won multiple national championships to get the players she wants. But, to win it all, she still has to go through the portal. Maybe not as often as Glasco, but she definitely dips in it.

  7. #52

    Default Re: SB News

    Quote Originally Posted by roarman View Post
    It's pretty easy for a coach who has won multiple national championships to get the players she wants. But, to win it all, she still has to go through the portal. Maybe not as often as Glasco, but she definitely dips in it.
    Oklahoma also cheats.

  8. #53

    Default Re: SB News

    Quote Originally Posted by roarman View Post
    It's pretty easy for a coach who has won multiple national championships to get the players she wants. But, to win it all, she still has to go through the portal. Maybe not as often as Glasco, but she definitely dips in it.
    Gasso doesn't have to dip into the portal but I can guarantee she isn't going to pass up a great player who wants to transfer to OK. Glasco does have an advantage with the portal that the P5 coaches don't have in that none of his scholarships are guaranteed like P5's are for an entire 4 year period. That's why you don't see the large number of transfers into a P5 program like you see into a G5 like UL. The P5's have to honor their scholarships at the original amount for the entire 4 year period. They can increase the amount of a scholarship, but they can't reduce it below what originally offered. G5 programs don't have that same restriction. Their scholarships are year to year and it's up to the coach as to whether the scholarship is renewed the next year or not. If I am not mistaken, I believe that it can even be decreased or increased at the whim of the coach. If a girls leaves a P5 program, that frees up her money so that a coach can use it on an incoming freshman or use it on an existing player or split it amongst various existing players.

  9. #54
    roarman's Avatar roarman is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

    Default Re: SB News

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hemphill View Post
    Gasso doesn't have to dip into the portal but I can guarantee she isn't going to pass up a great player who wants to transfer to OK. Glasco does have an advantage with the portal that the P5 coaches don't have in that none of his scholarships are guaranteed like P5's are for an entire 4 year period. That's why you don't see the large number of transfers into a P5 program like you see into a G5 like UL. The P5's have to honor their scholarships at the original amount for the entire 4 year period. They can increase the amount of a scholarship, but they can't reduce it below what originally offered. G5 programs don't have that same restriction. Their scholarships are year to year and it's up to the coach as to whether the scholarship is renewed the next year or not. If I am not mistaken, I believe that it can even be decreased or increased at the whim of the coach. If a girls leaves a P5 program, that frees up her money so that a coach can use it on an incoming freshman or use it on an existing player or split it amongst various existing players.
    I just learned something I did not know. Thanks. One question. So, a player who goes to Alabama as a freshman, gets a full scholarship for all four years? I was recently told, from a source with connections to Alabama, that freshmen are not on scholarship. Because, it's Alabama, Murphy does not have to give one. Most of the money goes to upperclassmen. But, what you wrote states players get a scholarship for all four years. I'm assuming my source was wrong.

  10. #55

    Default Re: SB News

    Quote Originally Posted by roarman View Post
    I just learned something I did not know. Thanks. One question. So, a player who goes to Alabama as a freshman, gets a full scholarship for all four years? I was recently told, from a source with connections to Alabama, that freshmen are not on scholarship. Because, it's Alabama, Murphy does not have to give one. Most of the money goes to upperclassmen. But, what you wrote states players get a scholarship for all four years. I'm assuming my source was wrong.
    I am from the understand that freshman at Alabama are on scholarship? Will be curious to see what Mark tells us.

  11. #56

    Default Re: SB News

    Whether it has to be honored for four years or not, it can still be a partial scholly. Doesn’t have to be a full ride.

    Also this commitment to 4 years is news to me to, I find it hard to believe that there would be a different set of rules for teams playing for the same title.


  12. #57
    roarman's Avatar roarman is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

    Default Re: SB News

    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    Whether it has to be honored for four years or not, it can still be a partial scholly. Doesn’t have to be a full ride.

    Also this commitment to 4 years is news to me to, I find it hard to believe that there would be a different set of rules for teams playing for the same title.
    Mark is the expert on this. He experienced it.

  13. #58

    Default Re: SB News

    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    Whether it has to be honored for four years or not, it can still be a partial scholly. Doesn’t have to be a full ride.

    Also this commitment to 4 years is news to me to, I find it hard to believe that there would be a different set of rules for teams playing for the same title.
    Does not have to be a full ride and rarely is. The rule was established by the P5 universities and NOT the NCAA.

    The article linked below does a good job of explaining it.

    https://informedathlete.com/the-fact...-scholarships/

  14. #59

    Default Re: SB News

    Quote Originally Posted by roarman View Post
    I just learned something I did not know. Thanks. One question. So, a player who goes to Alabama as a freshman, gets a full scholarship for all four years? I was recently told, from a source with connections to Alabama, that freshmen are not on scholarship. Because, it's Alabama, Murphy does not have to give one. Most of the money goes to upperclassmen. But, what you wrote states players get a scholarship for all four years. I'm assuming my source was wrong.
    Your source is wrong. Was it Alyson that you talked to?�� I can say that they do like to recruit girls who do well academically because the players can get academic money which allows them to keep athletic money in reserve. And no, not every softball freshman who goes to Alabama receives a full ride. But the amount of athletic money they initially receive is guaranteed for 4 years. For example, if they receive a scholarship for 50%, then that amount is guaranteed for 4 years. Murphy could not reduce it if the girl turned out to be a bust. On the other hand, if she turned out to be a stud, he could increase her scholarship to any amount he wanted to. That amount would be the new amount he would be locked in to for her for whatever time period she had left at Alabama. Also, Alabama has girls that are walk-ons who receive no athletic money. They are receiving either academic money to attend or they have taken loans or their parents are paying their tuition. Alabama typically has one of the smallest rosters in the SEC and in D-1 softball. I didn't mean to hijack this thread and turn it into an Alabama thread. I just wanted to point out that it it easier for G5 schools like UL and others to have higher number of portal transfers every year than a P5 school because they don't have the scholarship guarantee requirements.

  15. #60

    Default Re: SB News

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hemphill View Post
    Your source is wrong. Was it Alyson that you talked to?�� I can say that they do like to recruit girls who do well academically because the players can get academic money which allows them to keep athletic money in reserve. And no, not every softball freshman who goes to Alabama receives a full ride. But the amount of athletic money they initially receive is guaranteed for 4 years. For example, if they receive a scholarship for 50%, then that amount is guaranteed for 4 years. Murphy could not reduce it if the girl turned out to be a bust. On the other hand, if she turned out to be a stud, he could increase her scholarship to any amount he wanted to. That amount would be the new amount he would be locked in to for her for whatever time period she had left at Alabama.
    Mark, any idea why P5 is guaranteed and G5 is a year to year deal? I would assume money is the main reason?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 9 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 9 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 14th, 2013, 12:30 am
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 31st, 2013, 08:40 pm
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 4th, 2013, 01:50 pm
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 16th, 2013, 06:58 pm
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 11th, 2013, 06:08 am

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •