Page 5 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Napier's EXit

Default Re: Napier rumor mill

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunologist View Post
    What about Hudson coming back from Baylor. He was the DC, former SLU head coach?
    That’s Ron Roberts.

Billy hasn’t left

Didnt Jay say before the season that this is the last year Nape would be here?

4. Default Re: Napier rumor mill

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    Billy wants the LSU job & he is definitely being courted by the media there which means he is being courted by the school. I wish him the best. Don't live too high on the hog Billy. I hope we look at Tim Rebowe really hard. He was great assistant for Hudspeth & has done very well at Nicholls State. Nichols was just devastated by Hurricane Ida.
    UMMMMMMM, NO AGAIN, KYLE.

I am not saying that Billy won't get the LSU job 100%, but Kyle is really wrong here, the MO from the new AD at LSU is not to hire a coach from a smaller school, like UL. His MO everywhere he has been has been to make splash hires that shock the hell out of everyone involved. Why would he change this MO now. Listen to the hires he has made in his tenures both at LSU and other places.

Washington--He hired Steve Sarkisian (who had been OC and QB Coach at USC and Oakland Raiders) and later Chris Peterson (Boise State Head Coach)
    Texas A&M--He hired Jimbo Fisher (Florida State HC) and Buzz Williams (Virginia Tech Head Basketball Coach)
    LSU--Hired Kim Mulkey (HC at Baylor Women's BB Coach) and Jay Johnson (Arizona Head Baseball Coach).

The closest similarity to Billy being hired by LSU on this list would be Chris Peterson from Boise to Washington, but even that is completely different. Peterson had been at Boise as HC for 7 years and OC before that for 6. We aren't comparing a guy who has shown good success at UL, Peterson took Boise to a BCS bowl and won and was a perennial Top 25 team, year in and year out. What Billy has done here is exceptional, but it ain't Chris Peterson/Boise level. Washington hiring Peterson was a huge hire at the time.

Again, I am not saying that Billy is not going to get the job, but I think if Scott Woodward's past performance is any indication of future predictions (and it usually is), Billy is not his first choice. I will stick to my prediction that LSU wants Lane Kiffen, James Franklin, Mel Tucker and/or Jimbo Fisher. The other names I would predict that could be on that list would be Mark Stoops at Kentucky or even Dave Clawson at Wake Forest. I think after these guys is where you probably see Billy on the list.

The only way Billy gets the LSU gig, is if LSU totally Tennessee's this hire. Meaning similar to how Tennessee had about 10 coaches, including names like Dan Mullen, Greg Schiano, Jeff Brohm, Mike Gundy, Dave Doeren and Mike Leach among others they tried to hire before they had to settle on Jeremy Pruitt years ago and really crushed their program more than it already was.

Billy Napier is not going to fking stank ass Baton Rouge

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    They hired YG, so there’s that. And Jerry Simmons.

Bret Venable at Clemson was roommates with Texas Tech’s AD in college, so I think that’s pretty much his for the taking.
    The circumstances in softball were very different. UL was the power and LSU was the startup. So it does makes sense for LSU to say "you can't have nice things".

Here they've been the power for so long it would be tantamount to an acknowledgment that we've arrived. Which is the last thing they want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    I'm not as anti-LSU as some of the posters here, I root for them. But I'd feel pretty sick seeing him in purple and gold. Not. Gonna. Lie.
    In the unlikely event that he goes there, Billy will still wear black.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    The ACC has shown that the winner of that conference can win a national championship. Does the winner of the SEC have an advantage, absolutely, but winning the SEC championship is a level of magnitude more difficult than winning the ACC.

Both UNC and VaTech are in the Coastal, so don't have to deal with Clemson, potentially, until the ACC championship game.

Gators will have to battle Georgia, just to get out of the East, then deal with Bama, Auburn, LSU or TAMU in a SEC championship game.
    Like I said, I would never say never, but it's highly unlikely Billy Napier would take a HC position at a program that doesn't have the resources to compete for a NC. The Miss State and South Carolina HC positions are perfect examples of two programs that do not fit that profile.

Outside of Clemson, Miami and Florida State, what other ACC program has won a National Championship in the last 30 years? There are certain jobs that give you the opportunity to compete for a National Championship and no other ACC program outside the three mentioned above have done so in the modern era of football.

9. Default Re: Napier rumor mill

Quote Originally Posted by AstroCajun View Post
    In the unlikely event that he goes there, Billy will still wear black.
    And for that he will always be my No. 1 coach . . .

Mel Tucker has been pushed behind the scenes since day one. He has an SEC pedigree under Saban and Coached at LSU. He's been in my top 4 since the day of Orgeron's press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    I hope we look at Tim Rebowe really hard. He was great assistant for Hudspeth & has done very well at Nicholls State. Nichols was just devastated by Hurricane Ida.
    I can promise you it will not be Rebowe. We will hire a young and upcoming coach similar to Napier. That is if Napier leaves, which I doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Like I said, I would never say never, but it's highly unlikely Billy Napier would take a HC position at a program that doesn't have the resources to compete for a NC. The Miss State and South Carolina HC positions are perfect examples of two programs that do not fit that profile.

Outside of Clemson, Miami and Florida State, what other ACC program has won a National Championship in the last 30 years? There are certain jobs that give you the opportunity to compete for a National Championship and no other ACC program outside the three mentioned above have done so in the modern era of football.
    Georgia tech won it in 1990

Billy’s dream jobs are Alabama and Georgia. I don’t think he goes to either straight from UL. I think he’d very well take the unc job and jump to either from there with success.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Mel Tucker has been pushed behind the scenes since day one. He has an SEC pedigree under Saban and Coached at LSU. He's been in my top 4 since the day of Orgeron's press conference.
    If Mel tucker does he bring Jay Johnson with him as OC? He’s a guy I would prefer the Cajuns look at before a Pry that everyone talks about.

14. Default Re: Napier rumor mill

Quote Originally Posted by MDMullet8 View Post
    Georgia tech won it in 1990

Billy’s dream jobs are Alabama and Georgia. I don’t think he goes to either straight from UL. I think he’d very well take the unc job and jump to either from there with success.
    That is why I think Virginia Tech could be a really good option for him. I don't think Mack Brown is retiring after this season, but who knows, but Justin Fuente is all but likely out at VT. If that is the case VT has the resources and history and fanbase to prove they can be relevant and compete at the highest level. The Coastal division of the ACC consists of a very inconsistent Pitt, an up and down UVA, an up and down UNC, a bad Georgia Tech, an up and down Miami and Duke. I could see Billy going to VT and winning the Coastal division in year 1 and being a Top 10 or 15 team in year 2 or 3. That would open him up to tons of opportunities.

Look, I hope Billy is our coach in 2022 and God willing he will be. But I feel like every year we have had him here we have been on borrowed time and we have been lucky each year that he has not just jumped to another job, like we saw with App State and Arkansas State coaches in the past. Dr. Maggard and Dr. S made a great hire when they got CBN, every season that starts and finishes with him standing on the sideline in front of the Cajun Football team is a great one.

See you in 2022 Coach Napier, bringing us another SBC Conference Championship (hopefully).

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    That is why I think Virginia Tech could be a really good option for him. I don't think Mack Brown is retiring after this season, but who knows, but Justin Fuente is all but likely out at VT. If that is the case VT has the resources and history and fanbase to prove they can be relevant and compete at the highest level. The Coastal division of the ACC consists of a very inconsistent Pitt, an up and down UVA, an up and down UNC, a bad Georgia Tech, an up and down Miami and Duke. I could see Billy going to VT and winning the Coastal division in year 1 and being a Top 10 or 15 team in year 2 or 3. That would open him up to tons of opportunities.

Look, I hope Billy is our coach in 2022 and God willing he will be. But I feel like every year we have had him here we have been on borrowed time and we have been lucky each year that he has not just jumped to another job, like we saw with App State and Arkansas State coaches in the past. Dr. Maggard and Dr. S made a great hire when they got CBN, every season that starts and finishes with him standing on the sideline in front of the Cajun Football team is a great one.

See you in 2022 Coach Napier, bringing us another SBC Conference Championship (hopefully).
    Agreed

Page 5 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information